Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ghai is a possibility, though she's Indian rather than Arab, isn't she? (Although Sarah Shahi is Persian.) Scott doesn't look the part at all.

2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Ghai is actually British, though of Indian descent. Scott seems to be Greek or Turkish (she's from Cyprus, which doesn't say much). But they play the parts of Saddam Hussein's daughters in the BBC tv-series The House of Saddam which is where I saw them.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok so here is what I have so far for my list, if for any reason you think I should add someone or take them out let me know and I will. I'm actually doing this as a word document so if you want that just let me know and I can email it to you or whatever.

SPOILER WARNING

So here goes my current version:
    Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Gates McFadden as Dr. Bverly Crusher
    Michael Dorn as Commander Worf
    LeVar Burton as Lieutenant Cmdr. Geordi La Forge
    ? as Lt. T'Ryssa Chen
    Stephanie Jacobsen as Lt. Cmdr. Miranda Kadohata
    Rekha Sharma as Lt. Jasminder Choudhury
    Sarah Shahi as Lt. Dina Elfiki

Special Guest Stars
    Johnathan Del Arco as Hugh
    Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan (on my word doc, I cut it in half so it is just Guinan)

If you guys have ideas for T'lana, and Leybenzon then I'll gladly add them to special guest stars too.

4. tenmei

Wasn't Lana from Smallville at one point mentioned as a good template for T'Lana?

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought I remembered someone mentioning her, but I couldn't remember what KRAD said about her, and I'm trying to stick with the authors for the most part.

6. Christopher

Kristin Kreuk has always been my choice for T'Lana.

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

JD, just FYI, Kadohata is a full commander, not a lieutenant commander. Also, as of Destiny, La Forge is also a full commander.

8. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

:alienblush:

*runs a quick search/replace on work-in-progress*

9. tenmei

Kadohata's a FULL Commander? I'll need to check that out, always thought she'd been adressed as Lt Commander.

Pg 14 of Q&A, final paragraph, she's referred to as Lt Commander Kadohata but at every other point that I can find, she's just referred to as 'Commander' - but shortening Lt Commander to Commander isn't unusual - so it's probably understandable if people have misunderstood.

10. Christopher

I think I might have a new candidate for Choudhury, one who comes closer to how I envision her. It's Janina Gavankar, who's guest-starring in a Stargate Atlantis episode in about three weeks (as part of an all-female recon team that also includes Nicole DeBoer!!). The link leads to a blog entry with a ton of photos of her from the Atlantis shoot. At 27, she's significantly younger than Choudhury, but she's reasonably close to how I envision Jasminder's build and type. (She's 5'7", while Rekha Sharma is only 5'3" or so.) I guess in a few weeks I'll know whether or not she's a good candidate in voice and personality too.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I like her look to so I think I might go ahead and change my Choudhury entry. So does anyone else have anymore ideas for Chen? I also changed the ranks for Miranda and Geordi.

12. David Mack

Not bad.

As for the rank inconsistencies re: Kadohata in Q&A vs. the trilogy, we'll just have to assume a promotion happened somewhere in between...

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what your saying Mack is both Kadohata and Geordi are full commanders in GTTS as well?

I think that Janina Gavankar is a good choice for Choudhury as well. She definitely looks the part to be her.

14. David Mack

^ I searched the unedited ms. of GTTS and found no specific mention of Kadohata's rank, nor of La Forge's. So they might have both been promoted between Before Dishonor and GTTS. Either way, as of the trilogy, for better or for worse, either by intention or by error, both are now full commanders.

15. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does it not strike anybody as odd that the Big E has a senior staff that are, excepting the flight control officer and possibly counsellor, all FULL commanders?

16. Christopher

It strikes me as odd, but it has precedent in the TOS crew in the movie era.

17. BrotherBenny

Look at the ages of the characters of the crew in the TOS movie era, they were in their fifties and sixties? Picard's crew still in their forties or younger, by my age reckoning, maybe early fifties.

18. Christopher

Kirk became a commander in his late 20s. Spock was a commander by 37. In TWOK, when Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov were all commanders, they were 48, 46, and 40 respectively, and we don't know how long they'd been commanders at that point. (Sulu and Uhura were both lieutenant commanders at least 12 years before then, as of TMP.)

As of 2380, Commander Beverly Crusher is 56, Commander Geordi LaForge is 45, and Commander Worf is 40. I assume Commander Miranda Kadohata is around 40 or so, given how long she's been a part of the Enterprise crew.

Otherwise, Captain Jean-Luc Picard is 75, Lieutenant Jasminder Choudhury is somewhere around 40, Lieutenant Dina Elfiki is probably in her late 20s, and Lieutenant j.g. T'Ryssa Chen is 26. Lieutenant Joanna Faur's age is unknown to me. So what you said before is wrong; there are only four commanders in the senior staff, and four lieutenants. Odd absence of lieutenant commanders, though.

19. BrotherBenny

I stand corrected, though the proliferation of command-level personnel is interesting, but then the Sovereign-class are the second-largest in the fleet in terms of crew/passenger size, so I guess that it does lead to a higher-than-average number of highly-experienced personnel in top positions. If you think about it logically.

20. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is the flagship, too. You'd expect it to be staffed by top personel, the same you imagine would progress through the ranks rapidly, or at least at a steady pace.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman