The rift Kirk manages to send the car in.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by slundal, Nov 1, 2009.

1. slundal

slundal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The giant rift that Kirk drives his Uncles (?) car into in the beginning of the movie is that the rift that the Zindi cut during their attack on earth in Enterprise season two ending?

Just hit me know that I might be and I'm wondering if the rift was intentional or not?

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Xindi cut open Florida and the surrounding area. The canyon in Iowa seems to be more for industrial purposes.

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a canyon. It's a quarry. That's why it's so rectilineal.

It's CGI, but it was based on shots of a real quarry in New England; J.J. sent a unit back there to get some shots.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

This "quarry-as-Xindi-rift" thing has come up before, as if there's no other explanation for a deep pit in the ground. I wonder what gives people these ideas.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It is indeed a quarry.

[​IMG]

Eastern Iowa has lots of quarries, though they are generally wider and not so deep. The one digitally inserted into the "Iowa" landscape in the movie was modeled on parts of a real granite quarry in Vermont.

http://www.rockofages.com/en/gift-shop-a-tourism

http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story.asp?S=10303428

See a short video tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1kV6xTB0U

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. Jeri

Wow, now that is service! Thank you, M'. You are indispensable. I've seen a newspaper article with photo about the quarry, but not the video.

7. M'Sharak

This article, maybe? [Edit: or here's another article which has essentially the same text, but includes a link to the official site at the bottom for people who wanted to see their quarry in the movie trailer.]

And I hadn't seen the video before stumbling across it today; there appear to be quite a number of others taken at the same quarry in the "related videos" sidebar.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  8. Cyke101

Err, that's what I meant, a quarry. If I had more time but didn't remember the name, I'd call it "The artificial canyon where they do stuff like drill rocks and drop cars."

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, I'm in a weird mood today.

First, for some reason I thought I was in GEN Trek forum.

Second, reading the title of this thread, I had this image in my head:

Kirk has no hand. Instead he has a chainsaw instead of a hand. And a phaser rifle. And he and an old beat up car are sent through the time rift to fight the evil dead demons in medieval times. I think Kirk would show up even Ash!

10. Jeri

M', that's the one. It was their 15 minutes of fame; I can imagine how pumped they might have been for a while.

Cyke, I could tell you were getting there. I wasn't meaning to contradict; just being clear...

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info - that "canyon" struck me as weirdly un-Midwestern - but of course, who knows how the landscape will be mangled and altered by the 23rd C. It never occurred to me that it might be man-made.

I wonder what the heck they were quarrying that would result in a long, narrow, deep gash in Iowa?

I also gotta wonder, why there are skyscrapers in Pacific Heights (and did they bulldozer it flat first?) :wtf:

12. Cyke101

Oh no, it was my own lapse of memory. Now, if I really wanted to be pedantic about it... I would've called it the Gravity Hole :)

13. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Limestone. You've never been out here, have you. There are quarries all over the place.

14. Jeri

We're not too far from Iowa here; and driving down the Tri-State Tollway just south of Chicago, you can look deep down into a huge one -- the Thornton Quarry, one of the largest aggregate quarries in the world. It's about 400 feet deep.

15. Cyke101

I keep forgetting that you live Chicago. And I suppose I should be a good little Trekkie and check out the Quarry...

16. Jeri

I remember the first time I went by there; I had no idea it was there, and it was a big shock! Unfortunately, I am not a good Chicagoan, even though I've lived here going on 15 years now. I still feel like a westerner.

17. M'Sharak

In the meantime (and for those not conveniently nearby) here's the view from the Tri-State Tollway which crosses right through the middle of it.

18. Cyke101

...you drove your antique Corvette over the cliff too, huh? :)

Whoa, you're helpful, as always. Thanks much! I live between I-55 and 355, so it's a bit of a drive anyway.

19. M'Sharak

^ I have a hard time passing up an opportunity to play with Google Maps on stuff like that. :D

20. flightmech73

flightmech73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Aw see that's just my luck. I was thinking too bad I dont live in cali becuase id try to go to one of the open casting calls for extras. But I live in NH. All I had to do is drive a couple hours to the next state over and wave at the helicopters to get into the movie? Just not fair.