ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain59, May 8, 2009.

1. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I have heard some ENT fans say that there should've been a reference to an instructor T'pol at the academy, so she might've been on Earth.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I've heard that there's an instructor T'Pol in those Shatner-verse Starfleet Academy books, maybe that's what confused them.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My bad.:lol:

172. 192.

Either way, most Vulcans don't make it that close to the 2-0-0 mark.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, most we've seen kind of do, don't they?

Spock, Sarek, Tuvok, T'Pau are all pretty old.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think Sarek died from that Bendii syndrome he had, not from natural causes. Vulcans very well may lived to be over 200.

6. cooleddie74

True. The primary characters we've seen. Spock is 157 in the new TREK movie. Sarek lived to 203. T'Pau made it to at least 145...ir even much older if her grayer, more advanced appearance as a Voyager holodeck character in "Alter Ego(VOY)" is any indication. Tuvok was, I believe, 113 or 114 during the final season of VOYAGER.

Not saying T'Pol isn't still alive in 2258/the Abrams timeline. But Dr. Crusher on TNG once hinted that most Vulcans don't make it to be old enough to risk a condition like Ben'dai Syndrome so I guess most of the race dies before they get near Sarek territory.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you commodore.

A few months ago there was this thread in STXI forum about ENT:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84876

Check out my comment in that thread (post # 70). It got Cogley all excited about the movie.

8. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. George Washington preferred to be called General Washington, rather than President Washington, after he left office. (It was his opinion that civil titles should belong only to current office-holders.)

9. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

:) It does seem oddly gratifying. I always felt Ent got crap for stuff they shouldn't have (actors, some of the plots, etc.). Nice to see vindication.

10. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Good news. Bob Orci answered a question about whether the Admiral Archer mentioned is indeed Jonathan Archer from ENT. Here is his answer:

yes, it is Admiral Archer is a reference to the Archer we all know and love, and yes he would be over 100, which is a likely life expectancy in a futuristic space faring race of humans (as depicted by McCoy’s (Deforest Kelley) in THE NEXT GENERATION.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Kind of makes you wonder why Kirk was depressed over "getting old" in his early 50s when he knew his life expectancy would be well over 100 and he could still be active in Starfleet in those years anyways.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Excellent point! Which I know and should have thought of first!

When JFK had a phone conversation with former President Dwight Eisenhower about the Cuban Missile Crisis he referred to him as General. Which was also Ike's preference.

http://www.awesomestories.com/assets/cuban-missile-crisis-jfk-tapes-briefs-eisenhower

13. Count Zero

Where did he say that? That's astonishing because in another interview I've read it sounded more like the Admiral Archer in the movie was supposed to be a desendant of our Archer which would also be in line with the crew dossiers on the website that list Scotty as being an aide to an Admiral Archer teaching "Advanced Relativistic Mechanics", which doesn't sound like our Archer at all. ;)
    But, well, this statement by Orci is as clear as it gets.

14. Captain59

He's been answering questions ongoing in this thread. His response to Archer is post #475:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/18/orc...kmovie-transcript-of-last-weeks-impromptu-qa/

15. Count Zero

Thanks, I've found it myself in the meantime and wanted to post it but you were faster. :) An interesting read, to be sure.

What a classy guy.

16. cooleddie74

True. And I agree in retrospect. But then I'm a legendary nitpicker and complainer about insane minutae.:lol:

17. commodore64

That's gratifying, too, but seemed pretty obvious to me. Thanks, Cpt!

Well, Trip is dead so is unavailable. I dunno, I suppose Archer's as good a guy as anyone. I have a feeling his class has to speak loudly. Can we have the Whipper Snapper pic again, Cpt?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  18. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Went back to see it again on Sunday. I completely missed the reference the first time. My daughter had to tell me about it.

Anyway, my question is; how could anyone have thought it a reference to anyone other than Jonathan Archer? Why even use the name "Archer" and the reference to his dog if it wasn't Jonathan Archer? I love it. Of all the spinoffs, the much maligned Ent gets the only straight up, in-story shout out in the movie -- and by Scotty no less. And well it should since the only spinoff that can (still) fit into the new timeline is Ent (another bit of sweet irony).

JJ really played it close to the vest with this one. One of his early quotes had him saying tha he didn't really watch Ent. Of course it was Orci and Kurtzman (the staff's resident Trekkies) who steered him right on this one most likely.

Huge grin.

Also, finally heard Majel as "computer". Missed this the first time too. That was sad, but I was really glad that she was at least there.

19. Captain59

Another question about the reference, this time about Porthos:

is the beagle mentioned Porthos? Has veterinary science advanced so much? (Please say yes!)
    —————-
    YES!

You know, the beagle that Scotty supposedly killed must have been one hell of a special dog to get him sent to an ice moon, whether Archer's or not. If Porthos really did live to be 140, you could darn sure bet if someone foolishly extinguished him there would be more than just a slap on the wrist.

20. commodore64

^ Heee! I see Time Travel in Archer (and Porthos') future. Oh boy! (Cue QL music.) I guess that means Trip is saved. ;)