Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For me, this is an investment into DS9. If I and others buy this set, and the sets to come, this will show to CBS that there is interest in Star Trek on Blue-Ray. Enough interest will persuade CBS to do DS9 on Blue-Ray.

2. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

realistically I dont see the re-remaster happening, even though business case might be there (less sales for fixed box, but also significantly less cost to invest).

i'm on the fence about cancelling my pre-order too, but OTOH, it is going to be better than DVD, despite it appears to be significantly inferior to S1.

If they really watch these forums, I hope they have learned from their mistake and now see that while medicore quality might sell a few boxes too, the general fandom tastes can be spoiled easily.

3. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm buying the set, because I love TNG and I want to have S2 on BD too.
    But if they do read this forum, I'm very pleased to let them know that originally I've had plans to buy several copies of this as christmas present for friends.
    This they can forget about now, I've found other presents for them already. :)

4. Beatnik

Beatnik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm surprised that nobody has posted the S3 trailer yet anywhere (that I've found). I suppose waiting 1 more day won't matter...

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*yawn* That was also said about an HD transfer of TNG just three years ago: "Its never going to happen"

6. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 "The Child" Opening Shot SD to Remastered Comparison"
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy567rerhYg[/yt]

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on other effects shots I've seen, this is one of the better ones by HTV. The lights actually line up with the model! *High five* Not particularly wowing, but it won't make me cringe either. The framing is also cropped and zoomed on all four sides in the live-action shot, but only slightly.

Was there an added effect in the original SD to diffuse the light of the windows, or was that just a flaw? Either way, the remaster doesn't match that. It looks smoother and slightly more realistic (less like a model) in the SD shot, however.

I noticed the Excelsior-class ship's running lights aren't blinking at the same time as before. Then in the shuttlebay shot, the running lights aren't blinking at all. What a bunch of hacks. :lol: j/k

8. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Besides its obviously higher resolution, the original still is better. The ship elements just don't fit in with the scene because the lighting is powerful and neither are colour corrected. There has to be a reason why they desaturated the beauty pass, the 6ft Enterprise is not grey.

Cant wait to see CBS D's pass at this shot in BoBW.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It takes something egregious like Patton (also by HTV) or Predator (hm, I wonder...) for reviewers to take exception.

Otherwise, only those intimately involved with this (aka fans like us, TrekCore, Digital Bits) will notice a drop from season 1.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Geez, its my least favorite season but the Io9 review makes me feel old, like we're watching stuff from the 1920s...

There's a few episodes to love other than what he mentioned: Loud as a Whisper is profound to many people for finding strength in weakness, I liked it a lot. Contagion is a gem. Peak Performance stands up in several levels to later episodes. I re-watch "Time Squared" as often as any season 2 episodes. Elementary, Dear Data goes a level further than "The Big Goodbye" and has a charming homage to the 40s Rathbone Holmes. "A Matter of Honor" has Riker at his best, showing the willingness to accept other cultures and ideas despite perceived strangeness. I even have a soft spot for "Unnatural Selection", with one of the better teasers of the series.

12. davejames

Even among Trek fans, I bet it's a really small percentage who really fixate on stuff like this.

13. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Torrent discussions are against board rules. Don't make us start handing out warnings.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That shot along with the music is one of my favorites in the series. Glad it "survived" the transition looking good.

15. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I like that scene too! It really lets you know its the start of a new season.

16. davejames

Agreed. I like the inclusion of the purple nebulas, and the shot still has a bit of that soft magical look to it.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Agreed, it's just grand and epic makes it really feel like it's a new season. Fuck Rick Berman and his "sonic wallpaper" demands later on. TNG had some great, great music in its first 3-4 seasons.

I do wish they had taken this opportunity to fix an "annoying glitch" with what we see out the shuttlebay door, where should see SOME of the exterior of the ship based on the placement of the door on the model. But, meh, whatever. It's still a great overall shot.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

As much as it bugs me, I can understand why they didn't want to do it...one: it's not the way it was before. And two: they'd have to correct every open shuttlebay shot in the entire run to be consistent.

19. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

TBH this one looks quite good in HD.

20. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished watching the first disc. Some more thoughts:
    • Surprisingly, the audio mix of the opening credits is better in The Child than in any of the episodes following it. In The Child you can hear a distinct left right seperation in the back channels as the Enterprise wooshed past the screen. This is gone in the following episodes. A shame.
    • Elementary, Dear Data looks fabulous in HD. This show is of course light on visual effects, but there are some interesting ones. The arch appearing and disappearing looks a tad soft though, however when Moriarty starts playing with the holodeck grid and it starts appearing over London the HD visuals looks superb. The live action stuff is fantastic and the set and costum design really benefit from the HD upgrade. A very impressive remasteirng job here.
    • The Outrageous Okona doesn't fare that well when it comes to the visuals. The ship details are fine, but the Enterprise looks very bright. The effects in this episode were unremarkable to begin with, as seen in the SD version, and this kind of carries over to the HD version. As a rule, you could say if the original effect was a disappointment, the HD effect will be as well. By the way, I really loath this episode. No redeeming quality whatsoever.
    • Loud As A Whisper is in my opinion one of the most underrated episodes of TNG. I absolutely love this episode. An interesting story, great guest star and some truely outstanding performances. It looks great in HD. The two-footer looks just fine as does the planet. Yes it is soft, but when you really look at it you can see all kinds of detail on the surface of it. I really like it. The matte painting of the planet surface holds up very well as do the shots of Riva's chorus getting vaporized (though they are a tad soft).
    • In all the episodes I''ve seen the live action sequences are razor sharp with lots of visible detail and a pleasing layer of grain. A visual effect almost always announces itself because the picture will become much softer and the grain is great reduced. This is one of the most disappointing aspects of the remastering in season 2. A slight disappointment though because I still very much enjoy this HD upgrade.
    On to disc 2. I think in the coming hours many more people will be getting or receiving this set and I'm curious to hear what you guys think.