How Long Until BBC America Co-Production Happens?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

With it being a new Doctor it might be better to run 13 episodes back to back, rather than split the season.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's what the email mentioned--letting viewers get familiar with the new Doctor. But, Lonemagpie is right, it didn't specify the number of episodes.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would say the more episodes the better.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

BBC America would prefer a single run of 10 to 13 episodes. They don't like the split seasons because they stretch their marketing budget.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

This would be essentially one solid run, but with a month or so off for the winter holidays when viewership for weekly shows normally drops (which is why most shows go into reruns during this period). With only a couple weeks between any single new episode (because you have the Christmas Special in between) there is no need for a big campaign for the second half. I'm not sure if sweeps are still relevant, but it does also give them a presence during two sweeps periods this way.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you start in Late September - early October, that's too far to make it to late February, without massive communication about when it's on. It would require 6 or 7 episodes, then a couple/few weeks break before Anniversary Special, then a month for the Christmas Special, and then another couple weeks until the final run. That's an awful lot of off and on for the average viewer to have to keep up with

7. Venardhi

Why would you start in late September or early October? I'm talking about running 6 weeks from the end of October/beginning of November through early-mid December. One or two weeks off, Christmas, one or two weeks off, then another 6 weeks to take it through the end of February.

8. Sindatur

I'm not starting it then, that's what the memo suggests the start date will be.

9. Venardhi

I wasn't talking about the memo at any point in this thread.

10. Sindatur

That's what we have to work with, so, that was the reasonable assumption to make you wre talking about. You didn't indicate it, so, I didn't realize you were proposing your own schedule.

11. Venardhi

That would be in this post here:

12. Sindatur

OK, I mistook what you said, in relation to the memo recently being mentioned (And....I put the Anniversary Special in there too :alienblush:)

Yea, yours is the right way, however, Walking Dead is more than just a couple weeks off, it's a couple months, or damned close to it, but yea, take December off from the Regular 13 and air the Xmas Special and start the regular episodes back up after new Year's Day and you're set

13. Venardhi

I think you've got it!

They took about 2 months between the first and second half, yeah, but they were also working with more episodes (16) so they were able to stretch it out to last almost the full TV season that way.

14. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

Spot on! :techman:

15. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

As I recall, the first three series of the new Doctor Who were co-produced by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), but I don't think the CBC got much input in managing Doctor Who. So I'm not sure how beneficial a co-production would be. (other than the co-production credit at the end of each episode :p)

16. Venardhi

The problem with Miracle day is that it wasn't well written.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It'd be nice to assume 13 plus a Xmas special, but I can't help noticing how so many of the current BBC dramas - Ripper Street, Death In Paradise, etc - are settling on 10-episode seasons these days...

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

10 or 11 episodes would still be ok.

19. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

NO! Because once we accept 10 episode seasons (series), then it will be 7, then 5, then 3 (Sherlock, anybody?).
    The line must be drawn here! No farther! And it should be moved to 15, just to show who is supposed to drawing the line (the viewers).

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ You totally had Picard's voice saying that in your head when you typed it, didn't you?