Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Withers, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Withers

Withers Captain

I hated this movie and made no secret of it in a video review I did of it (it's supposed to be funny.) This is part one of a two part deal. The second part is still in the works. This was the first serious attempt I ever made at video editing (so the sound isn't perfect.)

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy, and of course any suggestions you might have are more than welcomed. Enjoy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbk0pd_final-fantasy-vii-ac-review-part-on_fun

-Withers-​
    [​IMG]

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Need much better sound. I had to turn it all the way up and it was still muffled to nearly inaudible levels.

You should also probably reconsider the tone. The cutaway jokes don't seem to quite work for me. Either have more of them, more jokes in general or reexamine your intentions with the review. The kids thing at the end didn't really make sense either, at least not enough to dedicate a minute to it. God knows there is enough to make fun of in the movie though.

Make sure you mention how dumb Cid and the replacement for the Highwind are in AC. The thing doesn't even look like it should be able to fly.

Good luck with part 2.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The big problem with this film is that they spent way too much time on longass fights and not enough time on what made this game so great in the first place. The story.

4. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed.

5. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Think about the proportion of time in the game that you spend in battles compared to being "in story". ;)

J/k, I know it's not the same thing. While I do like the movie, I agree that the story suffers somewhat and the dialogue is downright cringe-worthy at times. They did help better explain the story with the AC-Complete blu-ray released more recently.

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to lie, the only thing I liked about the movie was the fight scenes. I hate to imagine how dull it would be without them :lol:

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Even the fight scenes got boring. I thought I fast forwarded most of the Cloud and Sephiroth one.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I never played the game but I read about the story on wiki in preparation for this movie coming out because the trailer looked AMAZING. I really enjoyed the movie but it's certainly flawed in many ways. Rather than the emo triplets as villains why not just have Sepiroth come back in the first place? Everything felt like a waste of time until the ending. Also, it has the greatest theme song EVER.

9. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Advent Children. The story is lacking in comparison to the game, but it doesn't bother me. I just think it is fun to see the familiar characters again, and enjoy the great visuals and music.

10. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wasn't a huge fan of Advent Children when it came out, but then I saw Advent Children complete (the blu-ray version.) Several scenes were added that fleshed out the characters and the story. It went from being an okay movie to a damn good movie.

11. Withers

Withers Captain

Maybe I should have posted this in the Neutral Zone so I could really say what I'm feeling right now...

I mean... what?

-Withers-​

12. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Don't mock him. The "complete" version is practically a re-write of the entire script. Besides added scenes, other scenes are edited, moved around, some dialog is changed, and other plot points are placed in an entirely new context. Essentially, they realized the first version was an incoherent mess.

The updated edition is still full of all the goofy things that make it Advent Children like super anime battles. But it /does/ have a lot more story and more characterization.

Fun fact: Nomura, the director of the film, originally sent many fight sequences back to the storyboarding stage because they were not impossible looking enough. L-O-L?

13. Withers

Withers Captain

I don't know what makes you think I haven't seen both versions at this point... The movie was terrible no matter how you shake it. The "re-write of the entire script" (though that's hardly what I'd call it) was, to me, like putting a flower in the center of a massive horse plop and then calling it good.

Or what? You'll kill me? Like you killed Ensign Lynch!? :)

-Withers-​

14. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but I enjoyed it. Sure, the story wasn't as good as the game (in fairness, the game had a lot longer to develop a story than a 125 minute movie did), but it held my interest, and the set-pieces were engaging and well put together.

And the Blu-Ray is nothing short of amazing.

15. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was rubbish.

It was even worse than rubbish, because everyone was all like "OMG ADVENT CHILDRENS COMING OUT DESU DESU DESU I CREAMD MAH PANTS"

And I saw it and I was like: "It's aight. Wouldn't want to watch it again, though."

Hype makes mediocre movies shit.

16. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only if you're stupid enough to pay attention to it.

17. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The story wasn't as good as the game. It also wasn't as good as my morning dump. The dump had much better characterization, a more coherent plot, and less glurgy fan-service. I would be embarrassed to get caught watching Advent Children.