Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think these kinds of drop offs are one of the bad things about them the summer movie season being so crowded. I think a lot more movies would probably do bigger numbers if they gave them more room to breath.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been a really crowded box office these last two months. I think the same kind of drop off happened to "Star Trek: Into Darkness" it's second weekend thanks to "The Hangover III" or "Fast Six" and it continued to plummet while still grossing decent numbers total. The same thing will most likely happen with "Man of Steel".

Also I don't think this weekend's gross makes it any less certain about a "Justice League" film or more DC Cinematic films than we were last weekend. We still haven't really got any information officially through Warner Brothers on either a sequel or future films and they still continue to not tell us their plans regarding those films. They might be saving this for SDCC next month but who the heck knows with them. We instead continue to get rumours through third party "reports" rather than actual reports. I think these things are still up in the air...and now with the Robinov situation developing...not sure how his departure will affect those previous "plans".

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness had a much smaller second weekend drop and it's mostly held up well on subsequent weekends. STID's opening was smaller than expected, but it's held up well. Man of Steel got the big opening, but had a big second weekend drop. Both will get the numbers they need for sequels. Different routes to the same outcome.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It might be an issue for the sequel's Box Office run but the 2nd week drop is no issue to the reboot at all.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I've tried that strategy myself and I often find it to be self-defeating. After a couple of weeks you just find yourself there along with every other ************ who got the same bright idea.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that even prior to release MOS had recouped an incredible $170m through product placement and tie-in deals. The drop-off has been surprisingly swift in the US but in the UK, for example, I think it's made something like 3 times what Returns made. There'll be a sequel, no doubt.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think it might actually bounce back this coming weekend. Nothing big being released.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish that were so, but it's very rare that a movie climbs back up after being knocked down to 3rd place. It's more likely White House Down or that Sandra Bullock comedy will be 1st, and MOS will be down to 5th or 6th next week.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel should be 5th next weekend, unless World War Z has a truly massive drop and falls below MOS. Hopefully MOS will stabilize and not drop too much, although The Heat and White House Down, while not as big as some of the other summer releases, will place additional pressure on an already crowded market. They should open to at least $70-80 million combined, potentially more.

Edit to add: The actual for the weekend take is $41,287,206 for a total of $210,078,153 so far. Man of Steel retained the #1 spot in the UK for a second weekend despite facing the opening weekend of World War Z there.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7k8sHuRGbc[/yt]

Michael C. Hall is a good pick.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bryan Cranston would be my pick if he's not the rebooted Jim Gordon.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really need to watch Breaking Bad sometime soon.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think he is saying this partly tongue in cheek. I meet him in Metropolis, IL earlier this month. The guy is hilarious. He was asked about playing Lex in a movie in front of the huge crowd at the Superman Celebration. He was relishing the cheers when a fan asked that. Acting like he was campaigning for office jokingly. I think that weekend spurred this. I am sure he do it if he could but he is mostly taking about this for fun.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't want him considered for Lex precisely because I want him for rebooted Jim Gordon.

Insofar as I see no reason why Clark and Lex have to be contemporaries in a film, I say get Terry O'Quinn.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That is a good choice! I would also like to see a Lex Luthor who is older than Superman.

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I could totally see Terry O'Quinn as Lex.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If was pulling someone from Breaking Bad to be Luthor, it would be Dean Norris.