DS9 & Voyager Music?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Frontier, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

So with all the "new" Star Trek musical releases the past half-dozen years (expanded/complete scores for films 2-6, expanded nuTrek score in 2009, the Ron Jones TNG Project box set, the 3-disc TNG best of compilation...) does anyone think we'll ever actually get some more "new" scores from DS9 and Voyager the way we have for TNG and the films?

I know traditionally DS9 and VGR have gotten the shaft on merchandise so...

What tracks would you like to see if we did get such?

From DS9, I'd like some stuff from "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang" and from Voyager I want some stuff from "Scorpion" and "Dark Frontier" I think. I know there is more, I just can't think of what else right now. LOL.

...I begrudgingly wonder if including some tracks from "Enterprise" might somehow boost the sales? (Doubtful, lol)

2. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know why anyone would want any Trek music, it was mostly bland background music designed not to stand out too much. May as well buy a box set of elevator muzak.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I "Like" this post. :techman:

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

most of it may be bland, but there are some notable exceptions.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAju8ciUSc&feature=related[/yt]
    or the last scene of the "Changing Face of Evil"

5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

6. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 actually has a lot of good stuff. I think the composers were let off their leash a bit for that series. With Voyager, though, you could just take one track and put it on a loop and that would be your complete collection.

7. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

There wasn't alot of wiggle room under Berman's incompetant artistic blanket. Anything that wiggled out was cut off under his watchful all powerful eye.

8. Frontier

9. Frontier

There is a lot of generic filler stuff, I'll agree; but they did have moments throughout where some things did shine. Maybe it's not enough to warrant a big deal box set, but a nice 2 or 3 disc release.

If I re-watched all of DS9/VGR I could likely come up with a good comprehensive list of tracks, lol.

10. CoveTom

^ Some DS9 tracks I can think of off the top of my head are the final scenes of "Call to Arms," the final combat in "The Siege of AR-558," and just about anything from "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang." I'm sure there are many others. DS9 had lots more good cues than people give it credit for. It tends to get lumped in with TNG (Season 4 onward) and Voyager, which both had lots more "filler".

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if you want a comprehensive list of the good tunes of modern Trek TV shows:

-TNG had some catchy stuff in its first three seasons, but anything after The Best of Both Worlds is totally forgettable.
    -DS9 had some good tunes during certain Dominion War episodes, The Siege of AR-558 being noteworthy.
    -Voyager's best piece of background music is Species 8472's theme in Scorpion, though the action music played during the later seasons is okay though seriously overdone.
    -Enterprise's background music was less bland than the previous shows, though none of it really stands out. The Mirror Universe theme definately, and I remember season 4's Vulcan arc having an interesting sounding guitar tune whenever Captain Archer met with Surak. But otherwise, meh.

12. CoveTom

What I find interesting, and this is going OT a bit but not much, is how different the scores are for the films that were produced during Rick Berman's era as producer. Three of them were done by Jerry Goldsmith, of course, and you could argue that you don't hire an Oscar-winning composer and then tell him to write bland filler. But even Generations, which was done by regular TNG/DS9/Voyager composer Dennis McCarthy, showed much more imaginative and melodic music than that used on the TV shows.

Either Rick Berman felt that television episodes and feature films deserved different scoring philosophies for some reason, or someone other than he was insisting that the scores for the feature films be different.

13. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Goldsmith didn't even write the incidental 'filler' music for Nemisis, I guess because they didn't want interesting artistic music, just ambient rythmic generic action music. Besides, Berman saved alot of money that way. He kept the music for star Trek mediocre on purpose so it would last longer if nobody really noticed. Once again he saved alot of money that way. Trek has become the space monopoly - you get what we give you crap - and if if you don't like it, we'll take that away from you too.

14. CoveTom

First, on what do you base the assertion that Goldsmith didn't write some of the music for Nemesis?

Second, how does keeping the music in Trek bland save money? They hired composers to write an original score for each and every episode of all the modern Trek series and, with the exception of the last season or two of Enterprise, also paid a live orchestra to record each and every one of those scores. Whether they were bland or not doesn't change how much that cost.

15. Frontier

It's documented that Jerry Goldsmith's son Joel, also a composer, helped his father on an increasing level as he got older starting in the mid-90s. IE, Joel did more and more of the detail work while Jerry did less and less of the overall themes. You can actually even hear this if you're enough of a Goldsmith aficionado and listen to various works of his from 95 onward.

As for the cheapness - I've heard a lot of recycling between DS9 and VGR myself, so I think the 'cheaper' argument may be that while they did hire a composer for each ep and record this and that, if said composer was recycling already made stuff and just re-organizing it to fit the time allotted, that would be somewhat less expensive I imagine? (Not Sure)

Though you also have to consider, I think as the 90s went on TPTB seemed to hire less variety of composers? If I'm correct in this it may have been a case of "Hire the cheapest guy the most" or something?

I dunno.

Look at the so-called "Visitor" suite. That famed sad theme they put on the first "Best of Trek" 30th anniv. album? It actually originated in the season 3 episode where Vedek Bariel (sp?) died, then was in "Visitor" and was re-used in the series finale. So that's one big example of recycling.