DS9 as a "Tower of Babel"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by toughlittleship, Dec 9, 2012.

1. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With DS9's official Twentieth Anniversary nearly upon us (it actually started production in the summer of 1992), I've been digging out all the books about it I have.

I was reading in the Making of Deep Space Nine that an original story idea the writers had was to make the origin of the station a mystery (no Cardassians or Bajorans) and that it had been controlled by several races before Starfleet arrived.

The writers made the right choice by setting the series near Bajor on a Cardassian station, but do you think the "Tower of Babel" idea would have been an interesting alternative?

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda sounds a bit cliche at this stage after going through the various Stargate series. Mysterious Alien station is a bit meh. DS9 got some history and politics attached to it.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I can't imagine the series without the Bajorans and the Cardassians, although the idea is interesting. At that point, Stargate was just a thought in Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich's meagre minds.

4. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The "mysterious alien space station" does open a lot of avenues for stories, like finding ancient alien tech, buried secrets and whatnot, but it was probably for the best they went the direction they did.