Writing Women

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by QuarkforNagus, May 23, 2014.

1. QuarkforNagus

QuarkforNagus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What constitutes annoying, bitchy and/or whiny?

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

It's debatable how much is faulty writing and how much is a double standard on the part of the audience.

I won't deny that there's some of the former, but it's also not entirely the writers fault.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speech.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Proof there is no god, that. Or if there is, god isn't a man.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Male characters are like that too, except they're called ambitious, determined and/or forthright, or stoic.
    The kind of stories being told. Otherwise, they're written how a writer, producer, or studio/network wants them to be written, just like male characters.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd argue Seven falls under "completely uninteresting" because she was, other than being a former Borg which really didn't come to much more than her having a body full of plot contrivances to save the day. It'd mean something if she went from bland and rigid after first being de-borged and became more, you know, human over the course of time but no always stiff and talking in a rather flat voice.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Janeway, Seven, Kira, Jadzia, Ro, Guinan and Torres were all well-written characters, in my opinion.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Janeway was one of the cases where they tried to make her a "strong female leader" by letting her make the "tough decisions", but they completely ignored how stupid those decisions were. The result was that the character of Janeway had a completely fucked up moral compass. Many times her subordinates had to go great lengths to convince her to do the right thing, but she always stuck to her wrong path, always pulled one of those "Never dare to speak to me that way again" variations, until the last act of the episode.

The most notable example imo is the episode where the EMH goes crazy, and Seven eventually puts her foot up Janeway's ass.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

11. JarodRussell

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You are wrong.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sex her up was on the paper, too.

14. JarodRussell

When I say on paper, I mean without the visuals.

Unless the script said "REVEAL big breasted blonde in skintight catsuit."

15. Forbin

Or "Reveal Braga's adolescent emotionless ice queen fantasy."

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless you like a deus ex machina with enormous boobs wearing little more than body paint, then there really is nothing else to the character.

Trek does have some issues with writing strong women, often falling back on some old stereotypes, or having them there for obvious titillation. Worst still is when a female character really has no function or purpose unless hinged on a man--for example Kes was little more the Neelix's "girlfriend" at the beginning of VOY (the creepiest relationship in all of Trek), and now we have NuUhura's main function is as NuSpock's partner (where she does prove to be annoying, bitchy, whiny and totally uninteresting).

However, when the writers get it right, they do it very well indeed. For me, Kira Nerys was a strong, multi-layered and dynamic character, who grew, matured and developed significantly over time. She was tough as nails but also suffering from some deep emotional scars, whilst still having moments of being very feminine. Even when she and Odo get together, she still stands on her own as a character. But then again I am a little bias, being a big Niner and an even bigger Kira fan.

17. Forbin

Agreed 110%!

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm sure the visuals were in place before the script. She was never going to be just a Borg who goes "good".

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I wouldn't have put it past Braga to write just that.

20. QuarkforNagus

QuarkforNagus Lieutenant Red Shirt

Belanna, Kira, Luwaxanna Troi, Vash, Ro, Janeway.

Dax doesn't count. She's both man and woman.