Harry Potter relationships

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MNM, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That's what I thought. And honestly, I also thought we just didn't see quieter moments with Ron and Hermione because we were focused on Harry. I mean, Ron and Hermione weren't with Harry 24/7.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The minds of shippers are truly amazing. The end be all for these characters apparently isn't character development or growth or advancement of the plot, but who to marry them off too in the end.:rolleyes:

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You're right - after all, long-term relationships have absolutely nothing to do with character development or growth, and have no bearing on the plot.

Wait, what? :rolleyes:

Dude, this is entertainment, just a few people having fun. If you want to discuss instances of non-relationship character growth, or talk about your favorite spells or whatever, feel free to start a thread of your own. But to click on a "Harry Potter relationships" thread and then complain that people are talking about relationships in Harry Potter is most definitely not amazing.

Timewalker likes this.
  4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I was always a Harry/Hermione shipper, but Ron/Hermione is excellent too IMO.

I think Harry/Ginny is okay, but I was never really into Ginny.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the movies but to me Ron and Hermione didn't act like much of a couple, but Harry and Nermione seemed to have a perfect chemistry. They looked like a couple especially during the dance scene in Deathly Hallows part I.

6. Captain Kathryn

That scene though was designed to make you think that, but then (if you're going by the movies only) look at their faces at the end of that dance...Hermione just looks so depressed and is basically saying "BUT YOU'RE NOT RON!" through her facial expression.

I've read the books too and have all the movies and I rooted for Harry and Hermione. But Deathly Hallows finalized that for me...that it was just never gonna happen.

But I do agree, in the movies especially, Harry and Hermione had awesome chemistry.

7. Captain Kathryn

Yeah, she was heartbroken over that dude Dean Thomas in Half-Blood Prince if I recall correctly. She got over him super fast though and jumped into Harry's arms fairly easily. :lol:

Dang...I need to have a marathon of books and/or movies soon. I'm usually a walking Harry Potter dictionary, but I am actually second guessing myself on that name right now.

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It was Dean Thomas. But apparently before the Felix potion, they'd been rocky.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Hermione was worse to Ron than Ron was to her, it's just that Hermione was more of a crybaby than Ron (he gets insulted worse, he never cries) and Hermione was Rowling's self-insert character so Rowling took it more personally.

This whole ship war was the direct result of Rowling's laziness anyways, it's always a terrible idea to write only ONE major female character in a mostly male cast. Pairing her up with someone she'd been writing as the sidekick would naturally upset many readers.

If Rowling hadn't written only ONE major female, introduced Luna sooner, reduced Hermione's importance and maintained Ginny as a major character after the second book, the ship wars never would've gotten so bad.

Also, if she'd written from more than just Harry's POV it would've made it clear that Harry really wasn't all that great a lead character. But she probably realized this, which is why she never did it.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I only have the movies to go on, but Hermoine and Ron seemed like such an obvious choice. From "The Goblet of Fire" onward they clearly had a relationship brewing. By the sixth movie, even Ginny agrees, "It's about time."

11. Gaith

We lost so many fans in the wars... so many good young men and women! And for WHAT?! So Grint and Watson could publicly josh about how awkward it was to snog on camera? Was it worth it? WAS ANY OF IT WORTH IT AT ALL?!?! :( :( :(

12. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Not really, but then again this is pretty much my reaction at this point:

[​IMG]

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I have to say, Rowling's continued need to "rewrite" the Potter series to the point where she continually alters the perceptions of the characters annoys me to no end.

Though, admittedly, that's a purely emotional response, and it's been strong enough that I've not really considered the matter from a rational or artistic perspective.

14. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Nope. Emerson Spartz used the word "delusional." Rowling went out of her way to NOT call the shippers that.

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview2.shtml

Anyway, I always loved Ginny's adorable crush on Harry so I'm glad the books took the direction they did.

15. Gaith

[​IMG]

"Search your feelings..."

;)

IGN Movies points out that, at least in the quotes leaked so far, Rowling doesn't actually endorse H/H...

16. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Searching...

Found it!

Yippee!

[​IMG]

:p

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Heh, I think that's a good point. I think there is literary merit to Harry ending up with Ginny beyond "shipper" fantasies, for what it's worth.

During this debate somewhere else, I stumbled upon this article: Erased by Time and Blockbusters: The Cautionary Tale of Ron Weasley

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There's the movies, there's also that Rowling more or less admitted that she ran out of ideas of what to do with Ron halfway through the series and found it easier to make him the Series' Punching Bag character who's always abused and belittled by everyone.

19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

See, (and I hate to harp on about this everytime one of these threads turns up, but oh well...) I didn't think Ginny was an empty shell of a character until she became an independant, strong, intelligent girl. Or at least, until she became just that, because she lost any of the vulnerability that made all the other main characters interesting. I mean, most if not all of us been nervous around a crush, all made mistakes with who we're friends with; she was very relatable. Then she grows up, defines herself apart from her crush, but we're reminded of her past traumas (in a great scene) and she gets taken out by Deatheaters because like everyone else at the ministry she's still a young teen in over her head. It wasn't until Half Blood Prince when she lost that relatability that she stopped appealing to me, especially coming as it did with Harry finally noticing her. It seemed like JKR was saying, the main male character's girlfriend must be perfect for him, she can't have any flaws so I'll not write her with any.

And that's why I can take or leave everything else but for me Ginny is the most disappointing aspect of the last two books.

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Thirded. The films did an especial disservice to Ginny by gutting virtually all of her interesting material from Order of the Phoenix. I've seen Bonnie Wright criticized plenty and she's still not who I picture as Ginny - Castle's Molly Quinn with a British accent would be closer - but it's unfair because they gave her virtually nothing worthwhile to do (note: I haven't seen Half-Blood Prince, but the book was so mehhh anyway).

I'm still at heart somewhat more of a Harry/Hermione shipper than Hermione/Ron, but I'm okay with the latter and I like Harry/Ginny a lot. Luna and Neville are clearly destined to be together. :p

Somewhere there's an interesting novel that tells the events of Deathly Hallows focusing on the "Mirror Trinity" of Neville, Ginny, and Luna's resistance efforts at Hogwarts during that year.

Yeah, the "Ron the Death Eater" stuff was always ridiculous shipper nonsense, and its a shame that the movies sidelined him.