Angel and Wolfram and Heart: How could they allow the Beast?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

so i was watching the episode from season 4 when the Beast steamrolls through Wolfram and Heart. i started thinking "why wasn't there any security to stop him?" i mean, why didn't they have a juggernaut like marcus hamilton to come in and bash the Beast, or at least, give him a decent fight? it just seemed too easy for the Beast to have its with the building, the epicenter of this powerful organisation. afaik, nobody even tried to fight the Beast -- there was no security present to even try and take him on.

it would have been a better story if the Beast fought Wolfram and Heart's security and beat them. then Wesley could have looked at their bodies and said "Wow, those security members are powerful and the Beast ran right through them."

Season 4 of Angel just seemed like a big mess with a story that was too convoluted. am i the only one that feels like this?

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

The actual overall "story" of Season 4 is a total mess I agree, although I think a lot of it was Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy messing up their plot and it having to be incorporated.
    Still, it remains my favourite overall season of Angel. I just think there are so many great episodes and moments, loved the 24 style to it, with nearly every episode from ep 4 onwards taking place right after the last one, each with great cliffhanger endings

"Why do you think I let him out? You stupid bitch" :D

As for why there wasn't any big security to handle the Beast, I dunno, dramatic licence. There was never much security there (apart from normal human guards) every time Angel used to break in through Seasons 1-4. Love that part in "Five By Five"

Lindsey: "You know a vampire can't walk in here without us knowing it. We have a highly sophisticated security system, spent a fortune on mystical barriers and such. Nice to know our investment paid off."
    *Angel grabs the security guard coming at him with his gun drawn and slams him down on the table, knocking him out.*
    Angel: "I think it was a waste of money myself."

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Eve, and later Hamilton, were sent by Wolfram & Hart to monitor Team Angel after they gave up their office in Los Angeles. Characters like that weren't necessary when the Senior Partners had more direct control of the office, which is why folks like Eve & Hamilton weren't around when the Beast showed up in the fourth season.

4. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were there and they did fight him but they just weren't prepared for the agent of a power-that-be

5. ReadyAndWilling

yah, i thought this was the case too, but it would have been more dramatic if they had some beefy security and the Beast just tore through them imo.

6. ReadyAndWilling

when did they fight him? everyone in the building just ran away.

7. saturn5

Lilah calls down to the front desk and you can hear the security guards fighting and dying

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Wolfram & Hart has internal security, both conventional and mystical. Just because we didn't see the Beast fighting it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Plus, Wolfram & Hart thought of itself as the big, ultimate Evil. They were arrogant and probably didn't think that anything could possibly infiltrate it. Lilah flat out says that Wolfram & Hart is "the safest place to be during an apocalypse." Guess she was wrong!

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure that there was a juggernaut or two that fought the Beast and died as a result. No reason to think that the Marcus Hamilton types weren't simply defeated by the agent of a Power-That-Bez'ed.

Better question:

Why did the Senior Partners make their primary agency on Earth a law firm when Wall Street investment firms are obviously so much more powerful? And has anyone else considered the possibility that Goldman Sachs might actually be a division of Wolfram and Hart?

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing because it was a play on all lawyers being evil? What better way to get control over the rest of the world by employing those who can manipulate through their knowledge of the law and how things work?

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I didn't expect my question to be answered as though it were asked in earnest. It was mostly a rhetorical/joking question.

By bribing them, obviously. ;)

12. ReadyAndWilling

yah i just wish we could have seen one and then see wesley comment on it being defeated by the beast.

13. saturn5

Don't think the budget would have stretched, I thought it was a pretty effective scene as it was, like in TSCC where you don't see Cromartie take on the FBI team and somehow that's better