The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI :Did anyone dislike this movie other than me? [Spoile

Indeed. I don't even bother reading posts like that. It's one thing to have no paragraphs, but it's even worse when there are no spaces between sentences!

That said, I haven't seen the movie yet. I am excited about it, but I don't want to get my hopes up just in case it sucks.

2. Sulu's Lover

Sulu's Lover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I see.So you are saying that I am dumb?Let us not mince words.

Rob

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, if someone writes really badly I usually simply don't read their posts. Yours fell into that category, sorry.

4. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

No - you said that.

I am saying I find it difficult and jarring to read sentences that flow on from each other, sentences that begin immediately after a full stop(there should be two spaces)and posts that contain glaring spelling and grammatical errors(I am NOT saying I am king of grammar here but I DO expect a basic adherence to proper sentence/paragraph structure).

Anything less than this indicates

1) Laziness, thus further implying a lazy attitude to thinking, thus that person's opinion means less to me.

or

2) Lower intelligence/education, thus that person's opinion means less to me.

If your opinion of MY opinion of YOU means THAT much to ANYONE then they should take the requisite steps to either increase their educational standards or stop being lazy. Until that time, their opinion will be given the corresponding respect it deserves.

It is not MY problem that a poster wishes to be lazy in their writing style or level of education and is not taken seriously.

5. Sulu's Lover

Ok Trekies . I have edited my original review for the sake of the more enlightend that are members of this fine forum.

I feel like such a dummy and I am truly sorry to have haphazardly posted some thoughts on this board without giving some thought to the intelligence, or lack thereof , of some of the fine people of this forum.

Again ,after editing ,perhaps a fresh look at my review may spark an intelligent coversation.

Sincerely,

Robert L.Norberg Jr.

Boston,Ma.

6. Tulin

Interestingly, almost every one of your points are things I have conceptual problems with.

I think the filming style is going to piss me off more than a bit. I am SO over time travel in ST films and, I have to say, people applauding things in films now(during, not so much at the conclusion)makes me want to stand up and say, "SHUT UP YOU STUPID NERDS!!!!" It just seems SO bloody stupid and just makes me feel embarrassed for them.

Similarly, with you, I have heard that Urban steals the film as McCoy and it is HIS performance I am MOST looking forward to.

7. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Great. Yeah. Why isn't this in the discussion thread at the top?

You're not the only one who doesn't like the film. There is a vocal minority who can't stand it, few of whom have seen it, as you have. There are people like me who love it, and there are lots of people in between.

8. Sulu's Lover

Well , it's nice to see that I have gained someones respect.

Rob

9. Tulin

Urbandk:

Didn't you know? This is the forum where ANY and EVERY brain fart gets its own thread!

"My girlfriend went and saw The FILM!!!!!"

"I have seen the FILM!!!!"

"My Boss won't give me the day off to see the film!!!!"

"The flim ROXORZZZZ!!!!1!!!! I have SAWED IT!!!!1!!!!"

"I SeeD a new ad on TV!!!!!!1!"

"I went to a MIDNIGHT Screening of The film!!!!!"

It is all getting a bit silly.

10. Joemac

Joemac Lieutenant Red Shirt

sorry to be the voice of opposition, but I loved this movie.

I just got back from the first showing at our local cinema(00.01 thurs 7th may) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.The audience all seemed to too.
    I agree that Bones was captured perfectly, but so were Kirk,Spock,Sulu and Chekov.

Long live the Federation, no matter if our opinions differ. The differences are what make us unique and the arguments are always fun.

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Must do that on my second viewing when I get to it. Seeing again on Sunday. Also must note something about the stepdad. I knew Greg was in, but missed it. Excellent.

12. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

In defense of Sulu's Lover, I have been known to knock back a few vodka tonics and post, resulting in incomprehensible gibberish (oops, did it again). On the other hand, lighten up Rob.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but look forward to it.

13. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Yes you are the only one that did not like star trek. Come on, Why do people even ask this question, you know you are not the only one.

14. urbandk

I say we should become mods and preemptively shut down all threads that violate our good taste. Punishment will be swift and brutal. We have only begun to discover our power. Join me. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the TrekBBS.

15. Sulu's Lover

Tullin,

Let me relate a story to you that might make you think twice about what you say before you say it.

I am a drummer and belong to a forum , drumforum.org. When I first joined , there was another member who joined arround the same time that I did . This gentleman would make posts with the worst spelling and grammer that you have ever seen . It appeared as though it was either one of three things . It was either a kid , some kind of drug addict ,or a complete joke.

Well , another thread was started about this guy , and everyone joined in on bashing him and making fun of him untill finally , this gentleman posted and explained that he dislexic. He further went on to explain that it literally took him 15 minutes , just to get a few sentances typed into his post.

As it turned out , this man is a fantastic drummer , as well as a talented artist and a fine human being.

We all can't be as elloquent as President Obama , and I for one have learned the hard way not to be judgemental and to think that I am above anyone.

Rob

16. Tulin

urbandk -

Only if we can eat pizza while doing it.

17. urbandk

[​IMG]

18. Tulin

Sulu's Lover - Notice I never "bashed" you or made fun of you. I was simply stating my preference for posts I will read and how I see that person.

Unfortunately, on a message board, we will not know the backstories of people who post and unfortunately we WILL judge people by how they come across through the written word. I understand and accept your anecdote but I would wager a good amount of money that most posts that come across as ill-thought out or poorly constructed/written are by lazy people under thirty who think "R U OK" is acceptable communication.

Part of my job is monitoring internet security and mobile phone services. I get enough of bullshit, uneducated "text speak" at work. I expect better from science fiction fans who are trying to communicate intelligent thought about more enlightened material.

19. Sulu's Lover

Tullin,

I can assure you I am over 30 and have never used the abrieviation , "R U OK" .

That being said ,I have come to the realization that the people I come in contact with on a daily basis do not have an I.Q. of 140 . "Thats just the nature of the way things is" (Barfly 1987) I allways listen to what people say . Sometimes you find insight in a person that is the least likely to have any at all.

Rob

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^But on an internet message board that has several thousand members, most people are not going to take the extra effort to see if a poorly-constructed post has merit, especially in a forum as busy as this one.