I know who the villain is.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by jhouston6, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jhouston6

jhouston6 Commodore Commodore

J.J. Abrams and company have picked as their new villain the only villain who managed to kill Captain Kirk. The new villain is Soran. Look at the poster which features Cumberbatch wearing a trench coat which is what Soran wore in Generations. He is a character from canon that TOS crew never really dealt with. He has definite motives for revenge and he bares a very strong resemblance to Malcolm McDowell and he even sounds like him.

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know who it is too! John Harrison.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know nothing John Harrison.:p

4. Bishop76

lol - nice!

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah. That's pretty flimsy. It's possible the character isn't anyone at all that we'd know. The best way to keep people guessing is to make them think the bad guy is going to be someone well known from the original series. For all we know, it's Chuck Testa.

6. Bishop76

Also, why would you tie your fancy new Trek movie into one of the worst Trek movies made? Coming in at a stellar 48% on Rotten Tomatoes and the 4th worst (by their scale) Trek movie of all time. Also, on the bottom half of money-makers for the franchise.

7. Amaris

Don't be silly. Trek movies aren't made for money! They're made to spread the gospel!

/taking the piss

;)

8. jhouston6

It's the family line from the japanese trailer that gets me. Very few characters in Star Trek have lost their family. Soran is one. I think it could be soran because no one would see it coming.

9. Bishop76

Soran as a villain is about as interesting as pineapple as a villain. People think the term family is literal. Sometimes family are the people you surround yourself with, not just blood relations. Like a crew, for example.

10. Amaris

Actually, MILLIONS of people in Star Trek have lost their families. In the 2009 movie alone, billions of Vulcans and Romulans died. Gods knows how many perished from the attack on Earth, or the attack on the fleet. In that vein, you might as well make "Cupcake" the villain.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why not? At this point, I think Cumby as Cupcake would be a master stroke. :rommie:

12. Amaris

So many heads would explode!

13. jhouston6

A villain from TOS and movies who lost their family. Look at a picture of a young Malcolm McDowell and Benedict Cumberbatch and tell me that he couldn't play a young Tolian Soran.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He's not Soran.

15. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

They'd have to break continuity into little tiny pieces to make Soran the villain for this film. Star Trek (2009) occurs mostly during 2258. Assuming that the four years between films is translated real-time, that would mean STID occurs at about 2262.

Now, in fairness, the El-Aurians were a space-faring race long before that, with Guinan having visited Earth in the 1800s. However, the Borg don't attack El-Auria until 2265, 3 years before. Not only would Soran not yet be a refugee, he'd have no motive, or at least nothing that minutely resembled his motive from Generations. He'd be the same villain in name only. It's one thing for Nero's actions to have a measurable effect on someone who grew up in the immediate vicinity of Starfleet so that it could change the course of their life, such as John Harrison, who may or may not be the same Lt. Harrison from TOS. It's another thing for Nero's actions to have an effect on two species who were damn near completely unrelated to the Federation, in an event happening on the other side of the galaxy.

There are other reasons as well. For example, Generations establishes that Soran is over 300 years old, which means if he were in STID, he'd be just shy of 200 years old at the very least, so it's unlikely that they'd cast someone who looks so much younger. (Granted, El-Aurian aging is a bit of an enigma, what with Guinan having hardly aged a day over the course of about 500 years, and she still looks younger than Soran).

I will hijack my own post to say that I always thougt Soran got an undeserved bad rap as a villian. Not only does he have a reasonable motivation and goal (honestly, he's the most believable of all the TNG film villains, and the least generic), but he's Malcolm f***ing McDowell.

16. Bishop76

Also, Soran is probably the most forgettable, shitty villain in a Trek movie ever and JJ and crew would have to be severely mentally damaged to consider using him.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, no:

It's not Soran.

Little things...

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

John Harrison's gender is unknown? Damn, JJ is getting really stingy with the details here.

19. jhouston6

Not as much continuity as you might think. While Soran was a refugee from a borg attack in generations it was never established that it was the attack on the El Aurian homeworld. It's possible that the El Aurians just kept running from planet to planet over the course of 60 years. The two places that are known to be attacked are Earth and Kronos. Both places that accessed future technology in the last film. Remember the Klingons had Nero's ship for 25 years. I think that this character is going after technology from the Narada.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Two problems with your theory.

1. We already know the villain now, and it's not Soran.

2. You based your overwhelming evidence on the fact that both characters wear trenchcoats and have British accents. By that logic, he's also Shinzon.