Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

^ Exactly. Just setting something in the old timeline doesn't automatically improve it!

And may actually discourage potential new fans . . . .

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why be hurtful? Prime trek may be "bad" to you but it certainly doesn't boil down to that.

It's an alternate reality and as reusable as the Mirror universe. A Prime TV series could exist while NuTrek continues in movies for as long as it can.

And it doesn't automatically make it bad.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody said that anything set in the Primeverse would automatically be bad. I'm not sure why you're taking it that way.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I was stating the other side of Greg Cox's statement.

Edit: Wait, you said "bad Primeverse". Are you trolling or something?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with being attached to Trek. Hell, I've been attached to Kirk and Spock since I was five-years old. But I want them to make decisions that are in the best long-term interests of the franchise. :techman:

6. Greg Cox

As I understood it, DonIago wasn't saying that the Primeline was "bad." He was just asking why, if people want good Trek, they can't just hope for for good Trek in the NewLine? If all you want is good Trek, why obsess over the old continuity at this point? Unless you actually care more "restoring the prime timeline" than, say, the actual quality of productions?

In that case, the debate isn't about quality at all. Just nostalgia and "canon."

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think the PTL is coming back, but if it did I'd be fine with it as long as I'm entertained. The ATL is currently entertaining me.

8. Greg Cox

Read the whole sentence: He asked if bad Primeverse is preferable to good NuTrek.

It's like asking if you prefer even bad TOS ("Spocks' Brain") to good TNG ("The Measure of a Man.") Doesn't mean you're saying all TOS is bad.

There's good pizza and bad pizza. Comparing bad pizza to good sushi is not an attack on pizza in general! :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My ideal scenario would be that the movies continue to be in their own universe, and then a future TV show continues on with the prime universe.

[And I believe this might be the only legal possibility? I read somewhere that the film rights are held by a different entity from the television rights. Granted, if paramount wanted a movie universe show they could probably throw enough money to make it happen.]

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paramount controls the films and CBS the TV. As far as the "rights" go, it's kind of a gray area.

11. DonIago

Thanks Greg. Glad at least one person knows what I was saying! :techman:

I'm looking back at this. bbjeg - to be clear I was responding to the OP, not to your specific post, if that's where the confusion lies.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Still,
    this thread doesn't boil down to that. It's what a fan want, reguardless of why.

13. DonIago

Yes, but if you're saying "I want to go back to the Primeverse, period," then essentially you -are- saying you'd rather see bad Primeverse than good Newverse, because you're excluding the Newverse entirely.

I don't see how this isn't clear at this point.

14. Greg Cox

Perhaps another way to rephrase it would be:

Do you want to go to back to the prime timeline just for old time's sake? Or is there any practical advantage to doing so?

15. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I totally read that as a Newverse series being guaranteed good and a Prime guaranteed bad.

The way something is phrased, often tells you absolutely everything about where sympathies lie...

The outcome more or less rigged in favour of what the questioner thinks is good.

Ask it the other way around, if there's any doubt.

"Would you rather see a bad Newverse series rather than a good Prime one?"

Obviously you want something good. So basically, where it's set should be immaterial then. Unless you've already committed one way or the other to what you see as preferable.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  16. DonIago

Except the people who are saying "I want all Primeverse, no Newverse" are implicitly saying that nothing that would appeal to them can come of the Newverse. Otherwise, why eliminate it entirely?

And yes, the argument does work the same way in reverse, but the poll isn't asking about eliminating the Primeverse, it's asking about eliminating the Newverse.

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it a poll calling for the Newverse to be eliminated though? And not simply whether fans want the Prime back or not?

I voted yes. Film and TV would involve a different cast and a different setting anyhow. Therefore should be able to go in different directions too. Audiences go to see that particular group of characters, played by movie stars, in an action-packed spectacle on the big-screen every two or three years. Between 13 and 26 weeks a season, in something else slow burning and serialised, they get to know a whole other set of characters. Assume a limited lifespan on them unless the unlikely happens and the TV cast become the next big thing, and so their stories have basically been and gone in the time it takes Pine, Quinto, Saldana et all to reconvene. Might as well make it another universe for all the relevance it can have on the other.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. DonIago

That's the way I took it. Otherwise, the Primeverse already continues to exist in multiple formats.

Perhaps the poll was worded unclearly then.

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes and No.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some important points:

-Continuity/backstory does NOT equal storytelling style. They could do a series with the fast-paced crazy style of the new movies but set it 50 years after Nemesis and DS9. TOS had a very different style to TNG, which was different to DS9. Stargate Universe had a totally different style to SG-1 and Atlantis, despite being a direct continuation of the universe with cameos from SG-1 and SGA characters.

-Continuity won't be handled any better than it was in Enterprise or the new movies anyway. Trek as a whole hangs together in broad strokes only. Just because they mention the Dominion War doesn't mean they won't make blunders or intentional rewrites as seen in the videos in my signature. Old continuity does not mean they'll do it exactly as you imagine the idealized Trekverse in your head.

-A new Trek, regardless of backstory, will have a visual upgrade. If you think a return to Prime-universe Trek means everything will look the way it did, you're wrong. You saw how the Andorians changed between TOS and ENT, how the Klingons changed between TOS/classic movies/TNG/DS9 and Into Darkness, how the Romulans, Trill and others have changed to suit different producers and improved makeup techniques. Now imagine the Cardassians, Bolians, Jem'Hadar or Ferengi being similarly altered - because if they're ever brought back, it will happen.

So, all that taken into account, do you all want the Prime universe backstory to return?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.