JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I've been talking about alot lately I've just started reading DC and Marvel superhero comics over the last few years, and instead of starting a million new threads or hijacking others, I've decided to just start my own for anything comic related.
    I just finished reading Green Lantern: Secret Origin and I loved it. I was already pretty excited for the movie, but this just made me even more excited. I do have a couple questions though, first off do the GL comics continue on with a rookie Hal or do they jump back to where they were with him already have been at it for years? Does any know if the whole Five Inversions/Sector 666/Manhunters stuff plays any kind of a role in the movie, in plans for future movies?
    Next I plan on reading Batman: Year One. After that I'm thinking about either reading Superman: Secret Origin or GL: Rebirth.

2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The regular Green Lantern book takes place in the present day, years into Hal Jordan's career. There is speculation that the rebooted DC books will feature heroes 5 years into their careers. I believe the GL movie is supposed to use Parallax from Green Lantern: Rebirth, but don't think they'll be using the Five Inversions/Sector 666/Manhunters stuff.

Batman: Year One is a really good read. You'll probably recognize a few bits from it that they used in Batman Begins. Superman: Secret Origin was okay IMO, but I prefer the John Byrne Man of Steel version.

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i have a Superman/Batman collection from 1992 to 2002. Death of Superman and Knightfall brought me into love of comics. My collections ended with Batman: Hush and Superman: For Tomorrow. After that i was done, both stories felt like good ways to pull out at the time.
    Now with the big reboot in September, I won't deny that i'm interested in jumping back into Superman and Batman.
    from that 1992-02 collection, when it comes to superman and batman, stories I would recommend to read is: Knight(Fall, Quest, Ends) Doomsday, Funeral For a Friend & Reign of the Supermen. Batman: No Man's Land, Superman: Our Worlds at War, Superman:Reign of Emperor Joker, Batman: Hush.
    And I cant recommend DC's Kingdom Come enough.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i have a Superman/Batman collection from 1992 to 2002. Death of Superman and Knightfall brought me into love of comics. My collections ended with Batman: Hush and Superman: For Tomorrow. After that i was done, both stories felt like good ways to pull out at the time.
    Now with the big reboot in September, I won't deny that i'm interested in jumping back into Superman and Batman.
    from that 1992-02 collection, when it comes to superman and batman, stories I would recommend to read is: Knight(Fall, Quest, Ends) Doomsday, Funeral For a Friend & Reign of the Supermen. Batman: No Man's Land, Superman: Our Worlds at War, Superman:Reign of Emperor Joker, Batman: Hush.
    And I cant recommend DC's Kingdom Come enough.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm reading through Comixology, so I'm somewhat limited with what I can read. Although I have been considering picking up the paperback versions of some of the older stuff though. Are the novelizations that DC has done based on some of the stories, like Greg Cox's Crisis books, or Denis O'Neill Knightfall any good?

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Greg Cox is a regular poster here so we're all going to say his books are absolutely brilliant ;) But seriously they are good adaptations. :)

I've enjoyed all the DC novel adaptations, I loved them back in high school when I couldn't afford the comics. I think No Man's Land is the best but I also loved Death/Return of Superman back in the day.

I'm still waiting for one of the Superman New Krypton saga. That would make a good book, it's long, but it had a very definite beginning, middle, and end to the story.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could someone please provide a complete list of comics in The Death of Superman? Comixology has some of them, but with all of the jumping between series, I haven't been able to tell for sure if they have them all. I tried looking on the DC Comics Database, and the list on there didn't seem to line up with the numbers for the comics on CX, what DCCB said was one was down as like part two or three on CX. All wiki has is the months that it covered.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Death of Superman runs through Superman The Man of Steel #18-19, Justice League America #69, Superman #74-75, Adventures of Superman #497, and Action Comics #684.

They are all on Comixolgy. This is the Death of Superman proper. The issues that Comixology are counting as the first arts of the Death tale are really not part of the main tale. They each contain a single page with (the then unknown) Doomsday pounding against the walls of his underground prison and eventually freeing himself. Asdie from that, the stories are completely unrelated to the Death storyline.

Unfortunately the Death is the only part of the storyline that's up on Comixology. None of the Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Supermen, Return of Superman stuff is up there.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. At no point in Man of Steel do the Legion of Supeheroes show up with expressions on their faces that indicate they want to wear your skin. Also, it puts forward my personal favorite version of Krypton, the sterile, inhuman Krypton, which will probably never return as everyone else but Byrne and me seems to hate the place.

But everyone always forgets about Superman: Birthright, which was the retcon between the two, by Mark Waid and--well, somebody drew it, I assume. Superman's my vegetarian hero.

Batman: Year One is a seminal piece of comics art. David Mazzuchelli is in full force. Frank Miller writes some words, too, but these aren't terribly important.

I'll also cop to liking GL: Secret Origin to a degree. It's the absolute reverse of an ordinary Geoff Johns comic: very little superheroic works correctly (Hal's training is fine, but Atrocitus and Black Hand are shoehorned into the GL mythos very round hole-square peg style, and no one cares about Hector Hammond's best telepathic imitation of Lonely Island's The Creep), yet the human aspects of the story are actually recognizable, and even made me like Hal Jordan. This deeply confused me for a moment, but then I realized that this took place in the past, when Hal Jordan was a pretty decent character (DUIs, statutory rape, doing nothing for the brown skins--you know, recognizable flaws).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of Greg's DC Comics novelizations are outstanding. There is a discussion thread that I created a while back that occasionally gets updated if you would like to contribute JD.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, and regarding the Death of Superman, it is pretty great, but if you're reading that fresh, there's some weird things in there that make no sense unless you were also reading Superman in the 1990s or have Wikipedia open.

They aren't terrible distractions, but it's very likely you will say WTF when Doomsday punches Supergirl into a pile of grape jelly. This is the Matrix Supergirl, beloved only by 90s kids like myself, who was a shapeshifter that was also Lex Luthor's girlfriend.

12. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I personally do not like GL: Secret Origin that much. Writing character based stories is NOT Geoff Johns' forte imo. Give him sprawling space sagas with lots of characters and archetypal characterizations and that's more his game.

I do however envy you - you might have some really good stuff coming up in your future. I would strongly recommend picking up all GL comics from GL: Rebirth and read both GL and GLC comics all the way thru end of Blackest Night.

Here's an amazon checklist which lists all the collected trades and may help you find the comics in Comixology. (Haven't really used comixology - I prefer the physical comics. Trades from the friendly neighborhood library are best!!)

13. JonnyQuest037

Ha! :lol: Yeah, I guess some of the smiles that Gary Frank gave them were a bit intense at times. I rather liked the Secret Origin version of Superboy, though. He operates in costume with the Legion in the 30th Century and is an unseen "urban legend" in the 20th-21st.

I really liked the visual designs Byrne did for Krypton (it was way overdue for an upgrade in 1986). The sterility and the reason for it blowing up, not so much.

I only got a couple issues into that one. Hated Lenil Francis Yu's artwork. I think if DC had found a more appropriate artist to draw that series, it might not have been thrown out of continuity so quickly.

:lol: Yeah. Too bad Miller didn't quit doing Batman while he was ahead. With Batman/Spawn, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman & Robin, the bad far outweighs the good now. The only thing I really dislike about Batman: Year One is the prostitute backstory for Catwoman. But the absolute coolest thing about it is that David Mazzuchelli draws Bruce Wayne as Gregory Peck. :techman:

I'm pretty sure the DUI / jailtime stuff from Emerald Dawn has been retconned away (Thank God), and the Arisa thing has also been retconned so that she is now hundreds of years old in Earth years and only a "teenager" on her native planet.

Young Hal still does nothing for the black skins until John Stewart comes along, though. ;)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that mention of John Stewart brings up something I else I wanted to ask. If there is one Green Lantern for every Sector why does Sector 2814 have 4 from the same planet (Earth)?

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Uh, cause we're awesome?! :lol:

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are currently two GLs in each sector: that's Hal and John. Kyle and Guy are part of the "Honor Guard" which are senior Lanterns that assist wherever needed, regardless of sector.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah cool. I didn't realize they'd up it to two.

18. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I collect DC and Marvel trades, mostly Justice League of America, Teen Titans, and special series and crossovers like Infinite Crisis, 52, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night.

19. JonnyQuest037

Although the backstory is a bit more convoluted than that. When Abin Sur's ring selected Hal Jordan, it also selected Guy Gardner as equally worthy, but Gardner was further away from Abin Sur geographically. Gardner was Jordan's backup for a few years, until he was injured and unable to do the job. So the Guardians selected John Stewart as Hal's new backup. John Stewart then took over full time when Hal Jordan quit.

Years later, Jordan went nuts after the destruction of Coast City and attacked the GL Corps, so a Guardian picked Kyle Rayner, more or less at random. Kyle carried the torch until Hal came back from the dead and the new rules of 7600 Lanterns, 2 to a sector, were instated.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I have another question now. I was watching the special features for the Wonder Woman animated movie this morning (which I thought was an amazing film BTW), and during a montage of comic book I noticed what looked like Catwoman wearing a Green Lantern right, WTH was up with that?

I'm sorry about bugging you guys with all of these questions, I'm just really enjoying the comics and stuff, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the expierence.