Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Just stop watching butchered broadcasts. There are other ways. BBC hasn't cared before and quite rightly so.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we all could have predicted that one after yesterday's news!

Of course Matt Smith has a fixed date he has to get done by*, so that'll be a fun shoot, especially with the added complication of 3D cameras.

*Unless he ends up having to drop out of the film.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Then other TV broadcasters would stop buying them, if no one watched them legally, and then BBC would lose a revenue stream... they care about that.

4. StCoop

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Statham is fun but I prefer it when The Doctor is played by a weirder, character actor than by a traditional leading man.

6. StCoop

I wasn't really being serious. But if he is going we do need someone as far away from Tennant & Smith has possible next time

However, I do fear that keeping all the women who put together their Tumblr photomontages happy will end up playing far too large a part in the decison making process.

7. DalekJim

I'd say Matt is pretty far away from a typical leading man, unlike Tennant who looks like he's just walked off a Calvin Klein commercial half the time.

Would definitely want an older actor next time though. It's getting ridiculous.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Julian Wadham has my current vote:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovEc8JGftM[/yt]

9. Konata Izumi

Miranda Hart, based on Call the Midwife. I don't know how she is in that comedy show.

Not much.

And later there's the DVDs for money.

10. StCoop

Not much? It's their second bigest earner after Top Gear. The money it makes from overseas sales dwarfs Box Set sales which have shrunk massively over the last few years thanks to things like Netflix.

11. Konata Izumi

It's already happened that BBC doesn't care about fitting into other broadcasters plans.

I wonder if Netflix is expensive. I think BBC has plans to make a paid iPlayer overseas?

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I sort of agree, but it comes down to how the character's played. Tennant was, what 6/7 years older than Smith when they both started, yet I felt Tennant was too young and took a year or so to grow into the role, yet Smith hit the ground running and felt plenty old enough.

The opposite of smith would be an older Doctor who acts younger really.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I remember when the first pic of Matt Smith came out as being cast for the Doctor, there were cries throughout the internet of "Oh my Gawd, they hired an Emo Teenager"

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

From early pics of Tennant I thought he looked fantastic in the role and ended up not enjoying him much at all. Early pics of Matt Smith made me doubt him a lot and I ended up loving him. So now I've learned it's best to wait and see, an attitude foreign to most genre fans. ;)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Luckily I learned my lesson over Daniel Craig so I gave Matt a chance, plus I remember thinking he was a little strange in that first interview so even from the off I thought it might work, the proof of the pudding was his post regeneration scene though, and from the moment he clambers out of the Tardis in the 11th hour I loved his portrayal.

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

For me it was Tennant who hit the ground running so to speak and I've really had a hard time getting into Matt Smith.

17. DalekJim

New Who Series 2 is a real lowpoint. Only one episode I'd ever want to rewatch. Life's too short for New Earth, Age of Steel, Fear Her and Army of Ghosts. If that's hitting the ground running then I'd hate to see him stumble.

*looks at Planet of the Dead*

Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh.

18. Konata Izumi

Tooth and Claw. Intense and moody and a sort of reconstruction thing going on. They're constantly called out on, how can they enjoy this bloodbath? Implying it's not artistic licence, but just them being some kind kind of psychos.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How much of that is Tennant, and how much is the scripts, though?

20. DalekJim

Tennant's acting aint very good in Series 2 either. He vastly improves for Series 3 though.