Nacelle rear spheres: conjectures.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by plynch, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The famous bridge zoom-in shot from "The Cage" got recycled a fair bit as well, cutting off just before the end. Naturally it used the taller bridge.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The TMP Enterprise put the cheese graters in the front of the nacelles.

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, yeah, or the big/little sensor dish.

Camera angles. The camera adds 10 pounds.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the sensor dish can be explained away by saying it's like the STXI one, that could open up parasol-style, thus appearing bigger.

5. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

Yup. Ditto for me as well........

It's funny how as a kid, one can easily recon discrepancies like these into a simple & feasible explanation. :)

6. plynch

Y'know, that sailing off into the sunset shot with the cheese grater IS pretty consistent for leaving solar systems. And the "balls" are pretty much always orbital. I like it.

Then if the sensor dish is expandable, we're mainly left with the taller bridge, which is due to camera angle.

Our job here is finished. Wisdom of crowds and all that.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

When the two pilot episodes were filmed, nobody knew if the show would even make it to NBC's primetime schedule. I'm sure the re-use of FX shots from the pilots was anything but "planned." It just worked out that way for economy's sake.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think they ever really planned to air "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Not unusual, since a lot of shows never air their pilots; major cast changes are quite typical between a pilot and regular production. Star Trek just didn't have enough ready-to-air episodes ready to avoid using that pilot, and had to incorporate the even more divergent first pilot into a two-part clip show just to be able to make their airdates. Reusing stock effects footage is small potatoes by comparison.

9. plynch

And they weren't planning on the obsessed fans watching via syndication into perpetuity, noticing continuity errors on the ship's butt end.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The show couldn't even get the necessary effects for the title sequence, so they were forced to repurpose shots done for the pilots. The model was modified, I'm sure, with the idea that the library shots they would build would not have to include the pilot effects. But it didn't happen that way.

11. plynch

And had to enlist Alexander Courage to go ffssssshh into a mike to get the flyby noise, I've read on this board.

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

What happened to the "reversed cymbal crash" version?

Timo Saloniemi

13. plynch

Hadn't heard that one. The idea of a guy going ffssshhh into a mike makes me happy.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is the post/thread that documents the "ffssshhh "?

15. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was used on "Strawberry Fields". ;)

16. Captain Robert April

I suggest some folks track down the home video "Inside Star Trek", where, amongst other clarifications, Alexander Courage himself says that he went down into the recording studio and did the whoosh sound.

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

And that story is also told in TMoST as well, IIRC.

The "reverse cymbal" is in the pilot version only. And it isn't really a reverse cymbal, it was a cymbal swell that was cut off.

18. Captain Robert April

^ I knew I'd read it before seeing the video, but I wasn't sure if it was TMoST or another source.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

my copy of TMoST is too old to look at without fatiguing it more.

20. plynch

Mine too: waterstained first ed., first printing: cover has small E model in the blue sky of Yesterday is Tomorrow, and K/S with pink back ground: Empath maybe? Ep guide in back only goes thru S2.

What a great book when I was a kid. Also still have Gerrold's Worlds of ST, which was above me at the time, but still very insightful about drama and writing, now that I get it.