Biggest Film Flops

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the_wildcard, Apr 13, 2009.

1. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha saw this interesting article on Yahoo

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/getback-movie-flops.html

How many of those movie have you seen?

The worst I think of just the first couple I read about........THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH......hahahahahah. Luckily I didn't watch that because it just looked so terrible.

And you know what's worse than that? The "HOMEBOYS IN OUTER SPACE" TV show that was on UPN years ago. Anybody remember that?

2. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of those I've seen:
    Dune - hated it.
    Hudson Hawk - I've seen it a long time ago but I remember it not being that bad.
    Soldier - also not that bad.
    Battlefield Earth - horrible movie that makes a great Rifftrax.
    Planet Of The Apes - also, not that bad.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Battlefield Earth was awesome! :rommie:

Cripes I've seen half that list. Bad me. :p

4. Aegon Targaryen

Aegon Targaryen Ensign Newbie

It comes to me as a surprise that Cutthroat Island isn't there.

Seen Ishtar, Soldier, Wild Wild West, Battlefield Earth and Planet of the Apes. Even if I've had the good luck of forgetting most of the contents of the aforementioned films, I still remember Ishtar as downright horrible.

5. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

The only film on that list I've seen is Wild Wild West. Unsurprisingly, I don't remember anything about it.

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I've seen some of "Dune". Never cared for it.

I enjoyed "Wild wild West" -- not as bad as some people made it out to be, but definitively a niche film and not for everybody.

Saw half of "Plant of the Apes" remake. Terrible.

I actually thought "Waterworld" was pretty good. Not deserving of the harsh criticism it received.

Not seen any of the others. Common sense told me not to see the steaming pile of ferret bile that is "Speed Racer".

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mentioning Golden Raspberries as a sign of being bad really means nothing, and it comes across as a cheap way to hide the lack of writing ability.

Where's Showgirls?

And didn't Cutthroat Island kill a studio?

8. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any such list has to include Heaven's Gate. Cost 44 million to make and only made about 3.5 million. Destroyed director Michael Cimino's career and helped bring down United Artists.

9. Aragorn

^ The same thing happens to all of Uwe Boll's movies, yet they never make the lists. Maybe because it's not U.S. studio money that's being pissed away.

10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seen, Adventures of Pluto Nash, Wild Wild West, Waterworld, Battlefield Earth, 3000 Miles to Graceland, Planet of the Apes, Dune, Hudson Hawk. Saw the first four at a cinema, the others on video/DVD or TV. I still remember going to see Pluto Nash and suggesting it to my friends that we all go see it. After the movie finished I felt like shit and that I had betrayed my friendship to these people by been responsible for making them sit through that piss boring and unfunny movie.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact that actual moneymakers like Planet of the Apes(2001), which they admit is a biased entry, and Wild Wild West are on there is a joke. Yeah, quality wise they have issues but if they were true to the thesis of Biggest Film Flops it would be Objective and include Uwe Boll films, Heaven's Gate, Cutthroat Island and Gili should be on there but instead gets an 'at best' honorable mention.

This list is a flop. :rolleyes:

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I notice the person behind the article couldn't stick to the rules of choosing movies that flopped since Planet of the apes was a very tidy money maker...he had to scrath his ego ;)

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dune - Finally saw it. Fell asleep.
    Ishtar - N/A
    Hudson Hawk - For me it was a mediocre film. But not one of the worst.
    Soldier - N/A
    Wild Wild West - Pure garbage. I'd like to pretend Will Smith never made this movie.
    Battlefield Earth - Gah. Awful movie.
    Adventures of Pluto Nash - Terrible, terrible movie in a line of terrible Eddie Murphy movies.
    Planet of the Apes - Makes the original look like Shakespeare.
    Speed Racer - N/A

J.

14. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

The first hour of Ishtar is hysterically funny (and painful, but in a good way). It's only once they get to Ishtar that the movie starts diving. Even then, there are still some amazingly funny scenes, mostly courtesy of Charles Grodin and Jack Weston.

Another reason for its failure was the astronomical expectations. It was one of the first movies with two MEGA stars in its cast: Hoffman and Beatty. And written and directed by the amazingly talented Elaine May. It would have been impossible to live up to the expectations of the time.

Also, I consider "flop" in terms of financial cost and return. A lot of great movies "flopped", and a lot of really crappy movies made a ton of money. Regrettably, the term "flop" in the past twenty years has been bastardized into referring to quality, not just financial disaster.

--Ted

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I've seen

Dune
    Howard the Duck
    Waterworld

All three of those deserve to be flops. They were horrible, jumbled, idiotic disasters.

I am somewhat fond, at least mildly so, of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, even if it was a spectacular flop. I thought it had a certain charm, despite its scatter-shot approach.

17. Aragorn

Also, a lot of people out there equate poor box office performance to being a bad movie.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I actually liked Speed Racer a lot and thought it was a great film.

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I sort of liked Wild Wild West, loved the Steampunk concept, same with Waterworld. But I guess the idea behind the movie was better than the finished product in both cases.

That was a great movie! I don't care how much money it made or lost.

20. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I like some of those. Dune isn't a great movie by any means, but fun in a bad 80's sci-fi kind've way. Certainly an odd film for the guy who made this in between The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet. reminds me of Speilberg with 1941. just wtf were you thinking?

as I mentioned it, 1941 is a disaster. there's a few funny moments, but the rest is just awful comedy massively overproduced.