MLP:FiM S4E5 - "Flight to the Finish" - Grade & Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Dec 13, 2013.

?

Grade & Discuss

Poll closed Dec 27, 2013.
  1. A

66.7%
  2. B

22.2%
  3. C

11.1%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It'll be there. I rather like the slice of life along with the quest. I suspect that the Equestria Games will play a part in the arc.

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

I'm quite happy to have as many slice-of-life episodes as possible. It's what drew me into the show, and I'm uneasy with it becoming more of an adventure/quest series, as seems to be the suggestion from the season arc. Not saying I don't enjoy those episodes, but they never feel quite the same to me.

In other news:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOAqG_NBjo[/yt]

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like slice-of-life to continue being the best part of the show, but I don't think that their strength any more.

I think it may be that the writers aren't doing as well with the characters compared to season 1 and 2 (Castle Mane-is being an exception). Part of the joy of slice-of-life is it being character-driven, and if that's not working, then there isn't anything to enjoy except the lore and the mythos. A transition to a plot-driven, arc-based series might be the only way to keep it fresh.

All IMHO, of course.

4. Gepard

On a different note, those faces. They went a million different kinds of crazy with this one!

[​IMG]

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

God, you really are the Warped9 of this fandom now :lol:

6. Gepard

I do what I can. :p

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I wanted to hug Scootaloo so badly, in this episode. She takes such a verbal onslaught from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, and as Peach noted, Silver Spoon's becoming more and more like her "friend." She definitely needs a new one.

I like that this episode directly addresses the chance that Scoots will never fly. She seems to have just enough wing power to hover a few inches off the ground, but it seems very unlikely she'll ever achieve more than that. This also makes it that much more important that Rainbow Dash validate her as normal and accepted, which she does quite admirably.

Also, right at the end, I thought "they're about to get their cutie marks!" only to be fooled.
    Damn you, guys. Quit that! :lol:

Overall, this was a very good episode, the new song is great, and we get a nice, heartwarming slice of life story. Solid "A" from me.

8. Peach Wookiee

I wish Scoots had told her surrogate sister who put the idea in her head. Then again... Rainbow might just go ballistic.
    "All right, Filthy Rich, I don't care one flying feather how rich you are. My parents could bucking buy and sell you! But you haven't taught your filly how to behave, and if she goes after Scootaloo one more time, I'll bring the four princesses down on you!"

9. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Naaah, who needs wings when she's basically Evel Knievel with that Scooter...

10. Gepard

How she hasn't figured out yet that her special talent is badass scooting is beyond me. It's even in her freaking name! :lol:

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Because she wants something different, the idea of only one talent or ability may suit most Ponies, Scootaloo loves her scooter for fun, but she wants to be like Rainbow Dash anyway and won't settle for anything less.

12. Peach Wookiee

And the day will come when she realises that she's like her surrogate sister, even if she can't fly. I love that they've more or less said she can't. How many kids who watch the show are in wheelchairs or have other issues? That Scootaloo has her hard days but doesn't give up is an inspiration!

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That makes it all the sweeter, and something that I hope reaches kids who watch. They don't have to be exactly like the person they admire, they can be their own person, and they can use their own talents. Being different is good.

14. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yeah, I really liked that bit where Rainbow plainly acknowledges that Scoots may or may not ever fly. Was it an explicit explanation as to why she hasn't been able to fly yet? No, and it may be that they're not sure why that is - perhaps there is no medical explanation, it's just that her wing power and ability aren't there yet and no one is sure why.

Still, Rainbow hits it directly - "you may not ever fly, but you're still awesome." I LOVED that, and I loved that whole scene, because it brought back the RD/Scoots dynamic from "Sleepless in Ponyville". For all her bravado, Dash actually cares deeply for certain ponies in her life and just has trouble showing it - the mane 6 obviously, but it's clear that Scoots is also up there.

I loved this episode, I thought it was a good character piece for Scootaloo, and sweet Luna on a tricycle, they really did crank the crazy facial expressions up to eleven this time during the scenes with Dash and Harshwhinney! :lol:

Oh, also, I just LOST it when - after witnessing how great the CMC's routine looked - Silver Spoon says "But how do we stop them? We already called them blank flanks!" That was such a great moment, not only because it was hilarious, but because it really underscored the true nature of these bullies: they have a set script of harmful rhetoric, but when it fails, they don't always know what to do. I also liked seeing the CMC actually stand up to them directly.

I'd have to give this one a 9 out of 10. Yes, I've switched to a numerical rating scale because I always liked it better SO SUE ME

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Your numerical rating system is going to kill us all!

My heart melted when Dashie told Scoots that she was awesome regardless of whether she would or would not fly. So warm!

16. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks Obama!

Er... wait

That really was one of the best d'awwww moments yet from this whole show! :D

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

First he screws up America, now he's taking on Equestria! When are they going to get that lock box open? This man is the anti-Celestia! :klingon:

That really was one of the best d'awwww moments yet from this whole show! :D[/QUOTE]

It was so very heartwarming. Also, I didn't cry when Scootaloo started crying. Just sayin'. :shifty:

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Dash/Scoots thing really followed on well from Sleepless in Ponyville last year, she mentions that her wings haven't grown as they should so they seem to be implying a stunted growth problem.

And yeah, DT/SS's "We've insulted her once, we're out of ideas!" line was great. :lol:

I still can't stand Ms. Harshwhinney...

19. Peach Wookiee

^ I think that's the point. She's supposed to be somepony we can't stand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I think they just need a few more colts around, if you know what I mean.