Getting into Star Trek, what should I watch!??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nibbz, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did Sisko have a goatee? and shaved head

2. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

Not yet. Only in episode 3 yet.

3. Star Wolf

Okay its like I said earlier, especially with TNG and DS9 for most first year episodes the cast walked around like they had a stick up their collective asses. I don't know if they were protecting the legacy or were not at ease working in a space opera which had such a known fanatic base.

4. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

As a continuing series, through watching most if not al the episodes in order. Between TNG and DS9, Which would you say would be the more enjoyable series and what are the main differences between them.

5. Star Wolf

For me DS9 because it tells us a continuing story about the reconstruction and development of Bajor. It was always in the background and DS9 did not move away at warp 2 at the end of every episode. And we got a greater appreciation for what civilians did in the Star Trek universe. TNG however follows the format of the original series more closely.

6. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Watch Voyager then DS9 then TNG its impossible not to love them even if some episodes were horrible :P

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I've never been able to get anyone into Trek, though know people who love Galaxy Quest :). nuBSG was no problem.

Brooks is pretty stiff in early seasons and loosens up to greater effect later. But he's a bit Marmite as an actor. I just happen to love his cadences.

8. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, good on you for making a foray into Trekdom! There is quite a bit to choose from. I would suggest maybe sticking with just TOS and TNG for now. I don't feel tackling all 5 series simultaneously will be the best experience for you.

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I'll tell you what NOT to do is have a closed mind when it comes to stuff outside of TOS.

TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all take a couple of seasons to get good with a few outstanding to ok episodes in the first couple of seasons for the most part. Swearing off them because they might not have Kirk and Spock or an Enterprise would be a mistake since this franchise is so huge.

TOS isn't perfect either despite what purists would have you believe (I guess they don't remember the third season with such episodes as 'And the Children Shall Lead' and 'Spock's Brain') not every episode is 'Balance of Terror' and 'City on the Edge of Forever'.

Even the much maligned VOY and ENT have their moments and it's ironic that ENT is the only show still intact in the new timeline.

For TNG watch 'The Measure of a Man', 'Q Who', and the Best of Both Worlds two parter, 'The Inner Light' is also an excellent character piece.

For DS9 it's harder since that show builds on it's characters so when the good stuff happens it's much more meaningful. Some great episodes without too many spoilers are 'Duet', 'The Jem'Hadar', 'Improbable Cause', 'The Die is Cast' and 'The Visitor' (DS9's Inner Light). That should get you started with DS9, skip 'Move Along Home' until you have watched the whole series.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Start from the very beginning: TOS and work your way to the present. But when you watch the movies make sure you do it with friends. It's a lot more fun that way.

11. Star Wolf

I think he was telling himself you can't do Hawk. But Hawk and late series Sisko is what Brooks does best. It would be like hiring Samual Jackson today and he decides to hold back.

12. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ughhh...that "ooooeeeeeeeee!" he does in the pilot.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Can you point to anyone in this thread that has said anything remotely like what your stating above?

I love TOS the most and I always point out the high points of the other series as well.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

TOS is a bit of an inverse of the later shows, while the later shows took a couple of season to hit their stride TOS does it more or less straight out of the boook. WIth many of the best episodes being in S1-2 S3 suffered a decline in qaulity.

15. Leroy

It's not anything anyone has said in this thread, it's just I've encountered an attitude before that anything TOS is gold and anything other than TOS is junk and not worth watching.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And you also see that attitude from fans of Modern Trek as well. TOS is junk and Modern Trek is gold. :shrug:

17. Leroy

That's very true, maybe I notice it more the other way around because TOS is more famous and iconic than the other shows.

18. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Apologies if someone else mentioned these and I missed it, but I'd add "The Enemy Within", "The Galileo Seven", "The Tholian Web" and "The Naked Time" to this list as well.

19. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Speaking from experience I think tng is easiest to get into. Since Patrick Stewart was prof x, he really was the difference maker I found. I think any can be good as long as you connect with characters or story in some way.

20. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Anji. I think it's best to start with TOS, so that you get the "real" back story on the whole franchise. You don't have to watch the whole thing. Maybe just the first 2 seasons, even some choice episodes from there. Next, go to TNG then DS9. I really feel like the progression of the franchise helps build a true appreciation for it.