The Doctor Who primer

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by V\'ger, Jan 28, 2006.

1. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally agree!

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I avoided it all the way up until now. Not particularly by choice, but by necessity. We see Dr. Who episodes on late night PBS showings here, and very sporadically. I didn't want to watch one episode and get hooked only to find that the next episode would be 5 weeks later at 4 AM on a PBS station that was so grainy you couldn't make out people from background.

Yeah, the theme is very catchy. :D

Indeed I will. I found them on Netflix this morning, the 3rd season and the 1st season with Christopher Eccleston. I will watch those, too. :D

We'll have to see (about the Ninth Doctor, not Billie Piper. I already know I like her. :devil:). David Tennant has a lot of charisma and stage presence. However, the stories look like they're a lot of fun so I've no doubt I will enjoy that.

I also found some classic episodes of Dr. Who on Netflix's Instant Streaming and will be checking those out to get a taste of the more classic stuff. :)

J.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the best Classic Who serials is "The Caves Of Androzani". It's the 5th Doctor's final story. And it is amazing.

Just sayin'

:D

4. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Get some Genesis of the Daleks on the bounce too.

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

^ What he said. Yes.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Definitely working on it. I don't mind sayin' that I did tear up at the end of the Second season finale. It was probably dust or something. Lots of sad, sad dust. :shifty:

J.

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Time for an update anyone?

8. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    LOL! The primer is pretty useful, but could I make a suggestion? Could we have a fifty-year ban on the word "basically"? It has to be the most commonly misused word in the English language. If one says "basically", then proceeds to go on for several paragraphs...well, that's just not very "basic", is it? ;)

Other than that, good job!

9. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My wife and I got started on Who when the 1st season of the current series was first available on DVD. Got it on Netflix. We were instantly hooked, but then tabled it as there was nothing after that available to us yet. Recently I discovered seasons 2, 3, 4 and all of Torchwood so far on Netflix instant watch. We're in the middle of season 4 now. I've been watching some of the classic who's on Instant watch to get a fix when she's not around.

Ah. I started that one earlier this week. I got bored pretty quickly and did something else. I'll have to try again now that I know it's an important one.

10. Guartho

I also enjoyed Cracked.com's "primer" on Doctor Who, though it is unfairly hard on Eccleston.

11. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Well, it's not REALLY all that important until the last 5 minutes of the last episode. Then it becomes just about the most important 5 minutes in the entire series.

12. OmahaStar

Eccleston? It was unfairly hard on ALL of the actors. It's written in a personal and vindictive style. Whenever anyone questions the article, she immediately comes back with a giant bitch slap lobbied directly at the poster.

If I was unfamiliar with Doctor Who and read that article, I wouldn't even give the show a chance.

13. The

Read her profile and then her responses in the comment section. She's less interested in being funny with Doctor Who, and more interested in convincing herself that she is sexually irresistible in some form. She was also pretty inaccurate in many places, and honestly sounds like any other emo-tween who came into the show crushing over Tennant and did some peripheral Wikipedia research... :rolleyes:

14. Guartho

She was clearly highly complimentary of the acting of Doctors 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 10. On top of that, her only criticism's of Hartnell's performance she put down to his age and health. She was very hard on 4's off-screen, post-doctor behavior as well.

I can see how it might be off-putting to someone who's not accustomed to the style of Cracked writers. As an avid, cracked reader though, I can assure you that it's a very positive write-up.

I didn't read the comments so I can't say anything about how she handles criticism.

15. OmahaStar

She also is unfamiliar with the "spell check" feature, nor does she realize "its" and "it's" have different meanings. Monsters becomes mosters, and on and on. It was painful to read that article.

What amuses me is that it seems like this was written after her article about the End of Time two-parter, where she gushes over Wilf, and has praise for Matt Smith, yet in the history article, she bashes him.

If you want to question the future of society, read her America's Got Talent article. Don't have a gun nearby. Suicide is not the way to go.

16. Guartho

Going on the first sentence of the Matt Smith section I think this was written before Matt Smith had been seen on screen as the Doctor.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes its the five minues when Who died :(

:lol:

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've just read it and it sure is shite. She obviously thinks she has a sense of humour, it's evident that she has not though.

19. Guartho

Well, I thought it was funny, but I am admittedly new to Who fandom. Seems to me she's a huge fan though. I think it's during the 3rd Doctor bit where she as much as says so.

20. The

Oh don't worry about us, Guartho. We just like to piss and moan... ;) :lol: :techman: