You can have only ONE: New Star Trek or New Stargate?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Jun 4, 2013.

?

Which NEW 5 seasons long series would you choose?

1. Star Trek

73.9%
  2. Stargate

26.1%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

People are pining.. you can choose only one. You get five seasons of either Star Trek or Stargate brand new. Yes of course you will have qualifiers, but you must pick without all your ifs and buts :D

2. teacake

Okay I will take the plunge..

Stargate. Do I feel like a tiny bit of a traitor? Yes, yes I do especially as I am super happy with NuTrek. Here are my reasons..

1. Less pressure. I can enjoy it without worrying it's going to go into some loony direction or utterly fail and require me to defend it for the next decade.

2. Rodney. Still looks totally hot. Would definitely be in it since he's apparently doing nothing else.

3. Maybe it's because I haven't been rewatching Stargate for years like Star Trek or maybe it's because there's less of it but I don't feel like it's finished yet. There is another series in there which achieves the gritty realness SG:U wanted to achieve and retains the camp of SG:1 and the Rodney of SG:A. You could even bring Rainbow back.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Oh, Star Trek, without doubt, Star Trek. For me, Stargate was largely "meh" throughout, nothing more than OK-ish really.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I want Chocolate and Peanut Butter, but, if I have to choose, I gotta go with Trek

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek. I merely like Stargate. I'm in love with Star Trek.

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Star Trek, as long as it's new Star Trek and not some reboot or prequel or some other kind of meta-Trek.

7. Sindatur

@Third Nacelle - I love your Dame Maggie Andorian Icon, let's get a new series on the air and make it so :bolian::bolian:

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Why thank you, Sindatur :)

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

For those who chose Star Trek, did you see Stargate SG-U?

SG-U was a fairly radical departure from the formula stories of the SG-1 series. It was dark and gritty, and was almost painfully gripped around basic raw struggles in the beginning... which was kind of it's downfall because so many SG-1 fans felt alienated. They turned their backs and helped kick the Stargate franchise into remission.

SG-U was a bit hard to take in the 1st season, but the 2nd season was where the series began to really shine. This show had SO MUCH POTENTIAL. Not only with the Stargate foundation, but with the opportunity to totally expand that world into other areas. The scope of SG-U was almost epic. This very ancient starship was traveling across galaxies... with an extraordinary mission that was laid out for it by an astonishingly advanced race of beings who inadvertently ended up aborting the mission by ascending to the next plane of existence, leaving the ship behind without a crew and following an automated pathway across the cosmos.

The questions posed and potential imaginary answers that may have followed were spine tingling fantastic. I was so intrigued by this series and very hungry to see what path it would follow, only to have my hopes horribly dashed by a cruel termination of the series after but a brief 2 seasons. They couldn't even give it a "saving grace" 3rd season to have at least done some reasonable exploring of those questions before wrapping it up. Instead, everybody went into hibernation, suspending the show indefinitely.

Star Trek has had a legendary degree of coverage, with 5 series (3 of them with 6+ seasons) and plenty of movies. And while SG-1 had a record 10 seasons for a prime time sci-fi series (I think Dr. Who is the largest of all), the franchise still lags quite a bit behind Star Trek for total episode coverage.

So for me, I feel we need a new Stargate series. Definitely.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Stargate.

I'm a Trek devotee, but think Stargate needs resolution whereas TV Trek doesn't.

Besides, the fear is, new Trek might not be as good as TNG/DS9. I wouldn't be worried about Stargate or as upset if it didn't measure up...

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take Trek, but my wife will take Gate.

Then we'll watch them together.

Cheating? Sure, why not.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends whom is making them.

If it's TNG and DS9 era, I'd say Star Trek. Voy and Ent, then Stargate.

However probably Star Trek over Stargate, but it depends on what they have planned.

I'd rather have Farscape over either one.

13. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss Farscape too. That was the most FUN sci-fi series ever made. The humor was to die for!

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I love Stargate SG1, but the quality of the show was really tied up with the chemistry of the original cast. There's far more places you can go with a new Star Trek than a new Stargate.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

See I didn't have an issue with the darker tone taken in SG:U, it was good that they tried something different. Fans are a hard bunch to please. I think if SG:U had been similar in tone to SG-1 and SG:A and if it had been cancelled after 2 years people would be complaining they should have tried something different.

16. Sindatur

Yea, I didn't have any issue with the darker tone, my issues early on was the way they went about that darker tone, by making all the characters annoying, and a chore to watch. By mid-first season, they started paying some of that off, making the characters more 'Humanized" and then started moving away from all the characters being horrible. You can have internal conflict without having to resort to giving the audience no one to relate to.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True, but it takes time to get characters right. I think part of the problem these days is that the studios/audiance expect everything to be right from the first episode.

18. Sindatur

This is true, most people give it the Pilot or maybe 1 or two more episodes, and bail these days. Long gone are the days when people would look for the potential that just wasn't showing yet early on. It's gotta be great from the get-go or forget it.

19. teacake

That's why I am still watching Defiance. Old school hanging on like grim death, waiting for the sweets.