2nd Annual Valentine's Day Extravaganza!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Like LeVar Burton! I think he was born on an American military installation in West Germany, but correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I still need to get mine done; the deadline is fast approaching! However, I'm having some trouble with my compositions, one in particular.

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm told I was conceived at a New Year's Eve party, LOL.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The story of my conception goes like this: "Your father didn't want any children, he was very selfish. But I knew when the right time was to get pregnant and there was nothing he could do about it." For years I pictured my mother having some supernatural power that created life despite the dark repelling forces of my dad.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I was conceived in mid-January and born in early November after my parents' first pregnancy attempt was a miscarriage. My mom smiled and told me I was conceived during a romantic night in a local hotel and she once pointed the hotel out to me.

My conception was about a month before their first wedding anniversary and the hotel stay was apparently part of the celebration.

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Just want to remind everyone that the deadline for this is the 12th which is a few days away!

8. teacake

Ugh, guilt.

9. Kestra

Is that my fault?

10. teacake

I'm just reacting to random elements in life glomming onto my brain.

It goes like this..

People are often with struggles, you can't always see them--->that's why it's nice to show appreciation---->but there can only be FIVE only five.. someone or someones must be left behind----->and what if the one or the ones left behind are the most secretly needy? what if they read all this OH THANK YOU MY DAY HAS BEEN MADE BY THIS WONDERFUL BIT OF BBS LOVIN' and inside they die a little, or more than a little, because no one sent them a flower..

So I've been thinking if I send NO flowers my neglect of any one individual is not personal.

I neglected them.. I neglected them ALL. And not just the popular ones, but the dull ones and the flaptains too!!

Like, totally equal neglect. Which I feel bad about.

There is no way to win at this holiday.

11. Kestra

I know the feeling! If it helps, you can send as many as you'd like. I can deal with it. :)

Edit: I also think its a good idea to just let the people in your life know that you care about them in general. It doesn't have to be on Valentine's Day or with flowers. If you're thinking of someone next week, or two months from now, shoot them a PM and let them know. It will mean just as much.

12. teacake

Well this is a downer but there were several times in my life when someone was on my mind and I didn't contact them and then they actually died. This has meant I operate pretty much on guilt and if someone comes to mind I'm very careful about not shoving it aside and I do make contact. As soon as I read Candlelight's post about his dad dying I called my dad.

13. Kestra

It's okay. That happened to me when I was fifteen and I think it's one of the reasons it's important for me to let people know that I care about them. I understand where you are coming from.

14. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So people what have you gotten your boy/girl friend?

15. teacake

An instruction manual.

The Joy of Being With ME.

16. Captain Picard.

:guffaw:What did they get you?

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

at tehrisk of sounding foolish: could someone please explein in detail all the Valentine customs in the US? I know them only from vague references on TV (The Peanuts, for example). Over here, you give your S.O. a few flowers ane maybe if you're very romantic a breakfast in bed, but that's it. In the US it seems to be a very complicated ritual involving chocolates, flowers and cards (preferably homemade ones?). It's puzzling for a foreigner.

(btw, congrats to all who were actually or almost born in Germany =) I am a honeymoon baby, made in Austria or propably in Venice - definitely foreign :D)

18. Captain Picard.

19. teacake

Superdooper graphics card, 3 kilos of Whitman's salty butterscotch yes I know you can't buy it separately but if you buy enough boxes of Whitman's you should be able to accumulate 3 kilos of the stuff, TCG rocket mount, very large amount of yellow roses and a night with David Hewlett.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The UK is a bit like the US when it comes to Valentines day, Chocolate, flowers (esp. Red Roses), Champagne, like you said Breakfast in bed, or romantic get away in a hotel etc... And of course the anonymous card

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/valentine-day