The escape of Khan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gil T.Azell, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtieXEBLcE&feature=related[/yt]
    Sorry if this has been posted before I just rand across it.

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NIce piece of animation - but why were there several pods missing from the BB even upon its launch? Makes for a lopsided looking rocket!

3. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I missed that, nice catch, maybe they were rushed?

4. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Found this a while back too, interesting piece...would even fit in with Greg Cox's Khan novels...

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Isn't the information lifted straight from Greg Cox's books?

6. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I went back and checked my post of it over at STL, yes, the info is indeed from Cox's books.

7. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's pretty good stuff to see. I will nitpick about the scale. If the boosters are STS-type SRBs, then the Botany Bay itself should be much larger. A size and scale issue.

I'll also add that I like to see other variations of the DY-100. We often see it as the Botany Bay (the only one we ever saw) but as MJ designed it, the DY-100 isn't just the one configuration we frequently see.

There's the stripped-down bare vessel itself. But there are also the cargo pods, which make it a sort of spacefaring container ship. We can have full load with multiple pods, or a partial load, as seen on the Botany Bay. Many variations of DY-100 rather than the sole example. I like to see it changed up.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the Okudas photoshopped a launch pic for the Chronology, they used this just-five-containers-out-of-sixteen configuration. The episode "Future's End" then showed that photograph on screen, and featured the five-container launch configuration as a desktop model:

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/3x08/futuresend1_136.jpg
    http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/3x08/futuresend1_156.jpg

This sort of defends such use in the video, too. One would also suppose neither the photograph nor the model actually depict Botany Bay, but rather a generic DY-100, meaning the launch configuration would not be unique to Khan's ship.

But yeah, I'd like to see other container configurations on screen, too. The older edition of the Chronology showed a 24-container configuration, but that was on a stretched model with three rather than two container rings, plus some strapped-on spherical containers as well... AFAIK, this model (or just a photomanip?) never appeared anywhere on screen.

Timo Saloniemi

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

No, I've never seen this one before. It's always nice to have something new brought to my attention. Thanks for posting.

10. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice animation, but ridiculous concept. Aerodynamics strongly dictate success and failure, and what they show launched... never would have made it into orbit.

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if those are classic STS boosters, there's plenty enough power in six of them to go fairly slowly for the first thirty kilometers or so, reducing the aerodynamical stresses at launch big time.

The pointed nose of the ship itself does suggest it was supposed to be launched from Earth's surface. It's just that those containers were probably intended to only be attached in space...

Timo Saloniemi