Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland first pictures

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yes lol we need that gothic chorus from batman returns and edward scissorhands to make an appearance. Now who's Helena Bonham Carter going to play? ;) They've already got Johnny Depp. The Burton trifecta must be complete!

The pictures already have a Sleepy Hollow look/ Sweeny Todd atmosphere

3. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Without looking it up, I'm gonna guess the Queen of Hearts

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup... Queen of Hearts.

5. JonathonWally

I mean seriously, it's just a given. She's fantastic in everything.

6. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Boy Burton hasnt pigeon holed himself into that Crazy sh!t. And Helen Bonham Carter. Shed be a poor baglady if it werent for Burton giving her a role in every single picture...Im tired of her. And Burton may have done a good job on this pic 10-15 years ago. But hes too far gone lately...

7. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

I can't say I'm looking forward to this. It sounds and even looks like it's going to be what I call another "boring goth" flick. Lots of boredom, lots of goth backdrops, and altogether a complete bore to watch.

I'd have preferred something more American McGee rather than Sleepy Hollow. Which, to this day, I still haven't seen the entirity of due to falling asleep.

8. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure she's fetched quite the pretty penny for her Fight Club, Harry Potter and Terminator work...

9. JonathonWally

You do realize most of the story elements are drug references and dark things in general right?

10. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the Jabberwockey will be in this...?

11. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

Yep. But there's more than one way to protray it. Again: American McGee vs. Sleepy Hollow.

12. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Or the latest Disney one...

I can't wait. This is right up Depp and Burton's alley.

13. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Took the words out of my mouth!

It's a bloody given that she'd be in this. I can already envision what this whole movie will look like already just by telling me it's a Burton film.
    Is there a name for his goth/Victorian thin-limbed style?

14. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

"Jabberwocky" was the name of the poem. The beastie is actually called "The Jabberwock".

And technically, the poem appeared in the sequel story "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", but BOTH stories have been sort of "squished" together in most screen adaptations of the books, especially Disney's where only ELEMENTS of the stories bear any similarity to the Carroll books. The actual biting political satire and some of the more subtle references to "higher consciousness" from within unconsciousness are lost entirely in the versions made for children.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I, for one, can't wait. I love Tim Burton and I think his take on Alice in Wonderland will be great.

16. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it my imagination, or does that actress look too old for the part? And what's the sailing ship for? As an adaptation, this isn't looking up.

And I'm sorry, folks, but there really aren't any drugs in the book. Hate to spoil the urban lore. (Not that I actually think anyone will believe me, but I'd hate myself if I didn't at least make the effort.)

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I doubt any Burton or for that matter any modern take on the Alice material is going to be done straight to the letter of the book. I expect this will be a dark version ala American McGee's Alice (too bad Sarah Michelle Gellar was never able to get that off the ground) or that Tin Man mini-series.

18. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do generally like his production values, sets, etc but I admit to being tired of his spooky-wooky-kooky Halloween aesthetic.

19. JonathonWally

Not all of his films are like that. I thought Big Fish had some of the most incredible visuals I've ever seen.

20. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

true...but he dos tend toward it quite a bit and even big fish had it's smidge of spooky-wooky ;)