Where is the catwalk?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by CaptainHawk1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I can't figure out where the catwalk is? Is it down the center of the nacelle? If so, would that mean that there are two of them?

-Shawn :borg:

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tucker explicitly says there are two, one in each nacelle. Apparently not quite at the centerline of the warp coils, because that would seriously hinder operations... Assuming that there's plasma pulsing at the center, like in the TNG design. Probably just below the coils, then, judging by Tucker's computer display. We never quite learn whether it was the port or starboard nacelle, though.

Our heroes clearly chose to rig just one of the two catwalks for storm cellar, perhaps because that took up less resources and time. It may also have been psychologically the right thing to do.

Timo Saloniemi

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Like Timo said, probably running right underneath of and parallel to the warp coil structures inside each nacelle. Like a big gangway or long metal plank or sidewalk with the coils housed overhead in shielded compartments above the artificial lighting.

4. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I don't recall there being plasma pulsing at the center of the TNG nacelles. I was of the understanding that all of the energy is in the coils themselves. Feel free to correct thatif it's wrong.

-Shawn :borg:

5. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Makes one wonder if the Kirk-era Enterprises had catwalks in the nacelles. We know the Picard-era 1701-D had crawlspaces and gangways in or outside the nacelles from episodes like "Eye of the Beholder(TNG)," but did Kirk-era blueprints ever show catwalks in the nacelles of his ships?

7. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Presumably there's some access to the nacelles from inside the ships because there are windows along the outside of the pylons close to the front edges. Not sure why, but there are...

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Must be fun in one of those Intrepid Class nacelles, sitting at your station watching your cup of tea fall off the console when the ship goes to warp....

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing", Kirk and Spock take a bit of antimatter into what they call "the antimatter nacelle", using a catwalk in the center of a horizontal cylindrar volume. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to claim that this is one of the warp nacelles, perhaps its very bow - and indeed Doug Drexler created his TOS ship cutaway drawing with this theory in mind, and it became sort of canonical when used in ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly"...

Whether we are to literally believe that one nacelle is matter, the other antimatter... I'd prefer not to. Jump-starting the drive from just one nacelle, rather than from Main Engineering, must be a special backup-of-backup scenario that might have its special procedures; perhaps only the starboard one is configured to receive the jumpstart dose of antimatter, and therefore enjoys this odd designation?

Timo Saloniemi

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Being inside the nacelle your cup of tea would be as unaffected as yourself. But if you look down the corridor it must look pretty funny, when the whole rest of the ship folds up.

11. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

The FJ blueprints also had this same catwalk in the nacelle. Probably inspired by this very episode.

Also, it was Kirk and Scotty, not Spock.

12. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    PIC

Source: ex-astris-scientia