Rolling Stone 1977 Lucas Interview

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by theenglish, May 5, 2014.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

My FB Rolling Stone feed showed me this today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/the-wizard-of-star-wars-20120504

I used to actually have this issue, but it has been years since I read this story. It does help to clear up some issues about where he really planned to go with the series back then. He did mention a prequel movie, but nothing about Anakin Skywalker actually being Darth Vader. It seems pretty clear that he had not even considered this possibility at that ime.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep.

Star Trek ultimately comes from westerns as well.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Same thing is going to happen with super hero movies in the not too distant future.

BTW, great interview. This is what RS used to be known for. I too remember this issue but I don't recall if I ever read the Lucas piece. I haven't read or heard any recent interviews with him, but it is refreshing to read such straight forward answers to questions. I doubt after 40 years, George gives these kind anymore.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great find!

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It is pretty astounding to think that Lucas was somehow able to turn this simple "children's movie" into one of the biggest and most influential movies of all time.

Hell, if I was a studio head back then, I'd probably think the entire idea was just as ridiculous and unlikely to work as they all did. And up until you see it all mixed together with music, sound, and visual effects, it kinda does look ridiculous.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was interesting to see him acknowledge that he was making an old-fashioned style melodrama and that lines and phrases were clunky and didn't work.

7. davejames

Had never heard that before about Alec Guinness helping to come up with the idea of Obi-Wan continuing on as part of the Force.

And I do wonder how much better the movie could have been if he had been given the extra time and budget he wanted (and no I wouldn't expect another prequel situation, since his story instincts were a lot better back then). Like the interviewer said, you can see a few seams in the movie, but not a whole lot, and nothing that really harms the story.

I suppose the effects would have looked even more polished, the aliens a bit more impressive, and props like Artoo would have behaved a bit better. But it's hard to imagine them really needing to fix much else.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good interview, he came off as pretty intelligent, but you can see the seeds of crazy in there.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. He shows perfectionist tendencies. Very enlightening interview, though.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

What perfectionist tendencies? Not much that I can see; all I see is fans pissed off that he didn't tell the story (in the prequels) the way they wanted it to be.

11. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding? He says in the interview that he was unhappy with everything, dialogue, special effects, lighting etc. Even says he wishes he could go back and re-do all the effects(which he did, eventually).

12. davejames

We don't have a problem with the story he told. It was the awful writing and execution of that story.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Some people do.

14. Shaka Zulu

^Emphasis on the some part. The box office grosses beat all of the whining that the disgruntled fans and critics have about it.

15. davejames

The Transformers movies made a shit ton of money. So I guess they're beyond all criticism as well?

16. Shaka Zulu

^No, just that people were entertained enough to part with their money to see it, and those people told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on and so on....

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Good times.