common misconceptions about Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 15, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shall we dub him patron saint of changing the subject? :p

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This could've been avoided if they just made Voyager a bigger class of ship like an older Heavy Cruiser or something. Those could carry nearly 1000 people, meaning they could show recurring characters when they wanted and then shove them off into some empty corridor when they didn't want to show them and focus on the central cast without complaints.

And make the Central Cast smaller, there was no need for Kim, Kes Neelix and even Torres to be regulars.

3. R. Star

For the most part they were just reoccurring extras with their credits in the titles anyways.

I dunno, one of my favorite parts when I was watching DS9 for the first time was watching the credits at the beginning of the guest stars and being able to tell who's gonna be in this episode. Never really got that in Voyager.

4. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

well yeah, with the nature of Voyager being stuck in the DQ they couldn't really have recurring characters like that, not like Dukat and such.

though I would have loved to have Seska pop in on occasion to cause some trouble

5. R. Star

Naturally you can't have a singular villain or antagonist, but they could've used people like Carey, Sam Wildman, Haren and the such more often. In fact given there are only 150 people on the ship, it would make perfect sense that you're seeing these people regularly even if they don't have a major role in any given episode.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^True, but there is no reason they couldn't develop more of rest of the crew of VOY. Even O'Brien maanaged to get some development in TNG. And the Ent-D no doubt hada larger crew and crew members could transfer in and out.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Ideally, there should have been more Seska--not Cardassians in hiding, but people who fundamentally believed differently and vocally about what was needed to get home. It would have made sense if parts of the crew were more factionalized around different issues, which in later seasons could have revolved around how the crew collaborated with/confronted the Borg.

8. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

there were a few people I would love to see pop up once in a while. Though you did see Sam wildman here and there as far as the 5th season.

I forget the name of that bajoran girl, she kept messing things up. I'd love to see more of her, she was adorable

9. R. Star

^
    You're thinking of Celes.

Yeah, Prime Factors was a good example of that. Just an average episode, but the collaboration between the Maquis crewmen Torres and Seska, the family man who wants to get home Carey, and the logical Vulcan doing what his superior and friend cannot Tuvok was good stuff. I'd have liked to see more of that.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Isn't this part of the problem, a portion of the audiance wanted to see that character conflict regarding how we get home more at the forefront than it was. Another portion didn't.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

that goes for everything
    someone wants more of this, someone else wants more of that it doesn't matte what the subject is

12. R. Star

Well, when the founding premise of the show is a divided crew forced to work together, yes... I expect some conflict and drama. Instead we just have the Maquis virtually completely assimilated into Starfleet by the second season. If I wanted a show where everyone got along and was happy go lucky as they explored the galaxy, I'd put in a TNG DVD.

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked that it was Tuvok who worked with them. Though breaking the rules of an alien culture seemed like something he wouldn't do

14. R. Star

Yeah that was a solid surprise when Tuvok walked in and we were thinking... busted... and he says, give me the goods, I'll do it. :lol:

15. Bad Thoughts

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that because some didn't want infighting within the crew that they wouldn't accept at least some infighting. There need not have been a civil war, like the one Gaeta led in BSG. However, there should have been more of a political process as well as deal making in order for Janeway to achieve her more controversial plans.

Regardless, there was always the possibility that the audience would follow where the producers led.

16. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

ok to play devil's advocate....what would be accomplished if there was constant conflict? What would the maquis crew accomlish by butting heads all the time? they're still stuck in the DQ

even members of the maquis are still good peole and would probably still try to help others, would still probably respond to distress calls and such. That's one of the main things about Star Trek in general, people are enlightened, unselfish.

I think mainly all of the people on that ship knew they were stuc in a bad situation and made the best of it

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

but they all agreed to be a starfleet crew, they agreed to follow starfleet rules and regualtions. Do starfleet captains take votes? do they make deals with the crew? They issue orders and expect them to be followed

18. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

That was great! he walkd in and they all pooped their pants

19. Bad Thoughts

Did that agreement need to hold absolutely and indefinitely? Would impatience and disagreement not arise in spite of the Janeway-Chakotay pact?

20. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I'm sure people disagreed with some of her orders, just as I'm sure people disagreed with Picard's orders on occasion too. but impatience...yea they're stuck in the DQ, I'm sure they were impatient to get home and Janeway did her best to try to make that happen