Supernatural 6x18 Frontierland Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Normally I don't pay much attention to this, but I really enjoyed the soundtrack in this episode. Especially Blondie's One Way or Another. I actually laughed out loud at that, and I don't normally laugh out loud at all. The "too soon?" exchange had a similar effect.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yes, 6 seconds is too soon. :guffaw:

3. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Good episode. One thing I was confused about though, how did Sam recognize who fate was after that guy got hit by the bus? Did I miss something there?

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I assumed it was because a woman's face appeared in the window of an abandoned building, watching the man die. What they didn't really explain was how Sam could see her when no one else did.

5. Dorian Thompson

Well, no one else would have been looking directly at the building during the ensuing chaos after the lawyer had been hit by the bus. Sam was on alert looking for something else or someone else specifically. His focus wasn't on the accident itself while everyone else's at the scene would have been.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fate looked more like Kaley Cuoco than Reese Witherspoon to me.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

We don't have any indication that Fate (or this particular fate) is invisible. She just has the ability to freeze people and/or time and thereby move around unnoticed.

I'm curious how this discussion of fate fits into Death and the natural order of things. We had a whole episode recently in which Dean learned not to mess with such things, after all. You would think he would have mentioned it.

8. Dorian Thompson

You'd think he would, but......two things. One, Dean was worried to death about Bobby and that setting things straight would cost him Ellen (and it would). Dean's been known to have a blind spot where family is concerned. Two, though their histories were basically the same, who's to say Dean and Sam's history was exactly the same at that point? They were already in the altered timeline at that point. Maybe Dean hadn't learned exactly the same lessons from, or had as much interaction with, Death.

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

They seem to be two separate "occupations" though. Death is basically subordinate to the Fates. He doesn't decide who dies, he just makes sure that those who do, well, do. When Balthazar went back and changed history, Death wasn't responsible for killing those people since their fates had been altered, albeit without the Fates' consent. Which is what pissed them off.

Death really had no involvement in these events since Sam and Dean didn't actually stop anyone from dying. Fate were just running about "course correcting" the events, and Death was coming in to clean up after her (which we didn't see because it didn't play a relevant part in the episode).

10. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought this was a pretty fun episode. I am ashamed to say both I and my girlfriend were thinking we somehow missed when Ellen was brought back, but it was really bugging us because we didn't recall her at all in recent episodes (in our defense, there have been a number of resurrections on the show). My girlfriend kept saying something about the license plate being different but for some reason neither of us, despite both noting in our heads the car now had stripes, thought much of it.

I think our Supernatural fan club cards are in the process of being revoked.

Anyway, while I did enjoy this and have generally enjoyed this season (even if I do think it's weaker than previous years), there is a surprising lack of attention paid to what I assume is supposed to be the "big bad" - Mother. Do you suppose the plan was to always have that be a story that took place in just a couple of episodes at the end of the year or have they had two plans - one if they get renewed that stretched out the Mother storyline? I'm more interested in the war in Heaven thing and that got some slight mention in this episode, and I don't really care about the Mother thing right now. What confuses me is this season is pretty loosely structured for a show that had no real reason to expect another season after this one (unless I missed an early announcement).

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it is CW, not like that has anything to do with it, but both Smallville and Supernatural this season seem to be spinning their wheels when it comes to their big bads. Introducing them but not doing anything with them until the end of the season.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Supernatural is intentionally taking its time with the Mother storyline to pace it across two seasons, since it's more than likely going to be back for a seventh season.

13. Dorian Thompson

I think it's likely they had two plans, not knowing if a season seven was in the midst. Methinks the civil war in heaven will end up being the heavier focus of season seven. Eve/mother seems more of a decoy. Yeah, they changed the license plates after "Night Shifter" when both brothers became wanted by the FBI.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Smallville has always been spinning its wheels. But this is their final season and they have done absoutely nothing with it.

15. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either I forgot that or I never knew it, thanks!

16. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly think all the threads will somehow dovetail in the end--the civil war among the angels, the souls, Eve, Sam's memories coming back. And we'll get something new next season.

17. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Yeah, I have little doubt that the Eve storyline is actually part of the civil war. Crowley was eager to get to her dimension for a reason, afterall.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I doubt Supernatural will be ending this year. Smallville is gone this season and it would be pure stupidity if the network got rid of their two biggest shows in the same year.

I think Eve will be back next year.

Supernatural has a habit of introducing bad bads one year, and waiting until the next season to finish the storylines. YED and Lilith were in two seasons each.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone know anything about the Supernatural anime that's coming out in July?

Jared is voicing Sam in the English dub, but there's no Jensen.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFLCExv-Ip8[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Aom-JJEfQ[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOccA5E9jQw[/yt]

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, it's an adaptation of the first season, rather than an original story. At least, I think that's what I read.