World War Z premiere to coincide with end of the world

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Bloody hell that's awful! Usually with a troubled production the first cut tends to be way too long. I've never heard of one not even being able to scrape together an even 60 mins of usable footage. It may be a good idea for the studio to just start over, if not just right the whole thing off. I really can't see it making it's money back, let alone making a profit.

2. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or turn it into the TV pilot for HBO.

Problem solved.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

This movie would have been almost a guaranteed winner at the box office. I can't believe they've squandered it this badly. At this point they might as well just shut it down and perhaps let someone start fresh again another time, but it's never going to have the fanbase it did in the few years after the book came out. What a missed opportunity.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The budget spent so far is around $125 million; with reshoots the film is expected to cost $200 million. There's no way that a major studio like Paramount would cancel a tentpole release like this so deep into production.

I assume the HBO comment was a joke. Of course, there's no way something this expensive would forgo foreign and domestic theatrical box office where it might recoup its budget. (And if someone did make such a boneheaded decision, the movie would go to Showtime, not HBO, since Paramount is the studio here).

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The huge 200 million budget is absolutely going to kill this thing. NO zombie movie should cost that much. Zombie movies have never been a big genre unlike superhero movies.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I still say they shoulda stuck with JMS' Script, which was apparently "Too true to the book for Geneal Audience". they shoulda used his script and let him assign the Director, I think he woulda brought it in at under $50 Million, and pleased the Fans (And general audience could see it as a Vignette "How to Guide" like that Woody Harrelson Zombie movie where the Not Ready For Prime Time Player (Bill Murray?) gets wasted partying in his own house

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

At this point, I'm starting to think the end of the world will happen first before this movie is actually released in theaters! :rommie:

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A zombie movie has never been a tentpole release either. This one is, which means it has a bigger production budget, a more expensive and far-reaching marketing campaign, a major studio that will ensure wide distribution (Paramount), an A-list director (though Mark Forster may be headed to the B-list unless this is a big hit), and an A-list star (Brad Pitt), plus some notable supporting players (James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox) that wouldn't normally appear in a film like this.

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they've got 52 minutes of usable footage... maybe they can add 30 minutes of interview footage? Eh? Ehh? No?

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hehe, that would be funny if the only way to save the film was to use the good footage interspersed with interview footage essentially giving us something very close to the style of the original book.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

At this point, I think that might be the ONLY way to save this movie.:rommie:

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That, or make it into a dance competition. In 3-D.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, this thing sounds like a trainwreck. Dang.

14. Set Harth

That's it! A trainwreck scene!

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they can save costs by reusing trainwreck footage from "The Fugitive". With zombies spliced in, of course.

Maybe I'd better not give them any more ideas.

16. Set Harth

All I know is these ideas are sounding better and better.

17. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clearly we just need to Kickstarter our own adaptation.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

NEW LOGO

[​IMG]

The full trailer is suppose to be out on Thursday.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

20. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

im a big fan of the book, loved it in fact, but this does seem interesting, i will give it a shot