STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To me the bigger question is, if they were so worried about the Enterprise being seen by the natives, why did they park it underwater in the FIRST place-- and so freakin close to their temple??

Have they never heard of "standard orbit" in this universe? :p

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well the transwarp transporter was a secret weapon developed by Khan, only a few people including Scotty would really know the concept behind it and it was not widely available. Perhaps it was even a prototype or held in reserve by Khan himself unknown to Starfleet.

The Sherlock Holmes movies bear little resemblance to Sherlock to me, though that's not a deal breaker exactly. BBC's Sherlock show is quite different but way better than the movies.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

As any reasonably competent historian would tell you (as it is my profession I've met a few over the years)--no, not really. Whatever differences you perceive are mostly superficial.

4. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LoL. I think "standard orbit" has gone the way of ethical debates in the Captain's ready room ;)

I must say, on a similar topic, that one of the greatest things about this era of Trek is the fancier window/viewer combo thing. I always hated the viewscreen.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Transwarp beaming was a concept developped by Prime.Scotty in the future and told to Alt.Scotty by Prime.Spock. Section 31 just appropriated it and Khan used it.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My only guess is that it was easier to hide the shuttle close to the surface rather than from higher in the atmosphere, minimizing how often they could to be seen in the sky. Or maybe Kirk had it in his head already as an emergency way to rescue Spock or anyone on the mission if there was a problem...contrary to Spock's objections.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily just nearby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano#VEI_8

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes but the actual equipment was Khan's. The technique was Scotty's but the small ship version was likely Khan's, developed under Section 31...again, not widely availabe, very secret and not used day to day.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The question is why they weren't able to beam Spock out of the volcano.

nuScotty reprogrammed a shuttle's transporter for transwarp beaming, and he probably used it to beam nuKirk and nuSpock aboard the Narada, yet he DIDN'T keep the algorithm in the Enterprise's transporter systems?

But who am I to look for logic in a script where a space ship hides under water for no reason and cannot withstand the heat of a volcanic eruption, which is minimal compared to what a ship like the Enterprise would need to endure when it, for example, enters the atmosphere of a planet to hide under water.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its been pointed out that it wouldn't have trouble with heat but ejecta is a different story. So they got one word wrong. :lol: They also changed hypernova to supernova in ST09 so as to not confuse audiences, though hypernovas still wouldn't destroy the universe...

Perhaps like ST:Enterprise, transwarp beaming is too dodgy in it's early stages to adopt. Maybe a few decades hence that wouldn't be the case, but it still is here. Remember Scotty lost a certain prized beagle, so how often has it been successful up till then?

RAMA

11. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They never really explained why they had to bring the Enterprise down to the planet. Was the volcano's ash screwing up the atmosphere so no transporter activity could take place between orbit and the surface? It looked like Kirk and McCoy were going to use the shuttle to escape in as well. It was still cool to see the Enterprise rise out of the water. Very Space Battleship Yamato. :p The diving suits reminded me of TMP uniforms, I guess it was their color.
    -Chris

12. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Okay, I haven't heard anyone else mention this yet, but after Pike is killed, the sound of the sirens coming from the "police" ships sounds a lot like the original "red alert" sound from The Cage. Incredibly subtle audio homage, or am I just crazy?

13. cbspock

I'll have to listen for that when I see it again :p There were tons of audio references in the film, a lot of the background noises in the brig, and sickbay were all from the series. I also like they use the sing/song like noises for the keypads, etc. The communicator chirps and call alert, etc. I am glad the phasers didn't sound too much like the Naboo pistols from Phantom Menace this time around.

-Chris

14. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I gotta ask.

Were any Vonnegut fans thinking "Ice 9" when Spock froze the volcano?

15. cbspock

I watched Star Trek - The Search for Spock this evening. I can see the new characters getting to this point. I am glad that they gave the new actors / writers a lot of room to show the characters develop into what we know they can become. Pine does put some "shatner" in his performance as Kirk from time to time. I'm looking forward to the nuTrek 3. I just want it to break the villain vs the enterprise pattern the movies have taken. I would like to see them visit a planet and something happens..lol

-Chris

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Has the planet's name even appeared on screen before Into Darkness?

Also am I the only one who questions the whole Kirk growing into the Kirk from TOS despite NuKirk pretty much already is like TOS Kirk.

And other than Spock and the one time with Scotty exactly which subordinates has Kirk been ignoring advice from?

And another thing in this movie Kirk only violated the evil TNG version of the Prime Directive not the somewhat decent idea TOS version.

17. cbspock

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cat's Cradle!! Yes!!

[​IMG]

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

20. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought someone would mention this eventually, which is why I had first considered listing TSFS instead of TMP.

Which is kind of the point I was making at the same time that I was listing said complaint. Since that's all that really bugged me about the movie (that and the lack of music during one and only one scene), any issues I do have with Star Trek Into Darkness are rather small indeed. :)