The scary/creepy moments of TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Strange Citizen, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never saw that! I'll have to go back and watch that scene again. :D

In the three dozen times I watched that episode, I have never had any inkling of any kind that would lead to see it as anything other than what it was: a being who wanted to protect the innocent and vulnerable. How do you read anything else into it? I mean, there is really nothing else there that would even remotely suggest anything at all on the level of which you're saying, and I mean nothing. Nothing, sir. Not one jot, nor one iota, not a gossamer of a wisp of a hope on a prayer dancing on the head of a pin. Nothing.

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alright, well ... I have nothing else to add, so. Guess that's it.

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like Michael Jackson.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I told you before, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

(p.s. oh don't you start too!)

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The final version of the holodeck table actually looks very dissimilar to the "real" table. To be fair to the holodeck though, the real table doesn't even match the descriptions they gave. The unreliability of memory. :)

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, it's impossible for an adult man to have a friendly talk and relationship with a young girl. It's amazing how adult family members can have any meaningful contact with younger family members without coming across with a perv. I mean the looks I get from people when I give my 10-year-old niece a friendly hug. But, I guess I can understand their point of view. I mean and adult male making any kind of contact with a young girl? Scandalous!

That, or, it IS possible for an adult and child to have a simple relationship that means nothing more than "these two people know each other."

7. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The scene in Timescape where Picard beings to go loopy, draws the smiley face in the frozen exhaust from the warp core breach, and does that really disturbing and quite maniacal laugh. What really does it for me is that Patrick looks creepy when he smiles.

spinagogue likes this.
  8. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion, perhaps the best 'horror scene' in trek, ever, was the already-often-mentioned- morgue scene in 'Night terrors'. So simple, only 15 seconds, yet so incredibly effective.

I found 'phantasms' pretty creepy, as well. The concept of a very sympathetic and innocent person like Data 'out of nowhere' beginning to have nightmares filled with dark and bizarre imagery that become steadily worse (and us being there to actually see them) was unsettling to me. More so because he became totally obsessed by them.

Ironically, with the discovery of the peptide-sucking (or whatever) interphasic parasites, the episode becomes a whole lot less frightening to me. ("pfew! I thought Data was going mad but it's just a bunch of alien parasites!")

9. Mystic75

Mystic75 Cadet Newbie

"Eyes in the dark......one moon circles" For some reason that one phrase spoken in that weird whispering voice in "Night Terrors" gives me the creeps more than anything in the whole series!

Handsomeyoungensign likes this.
  10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I’m watching Violations right now and this episode is pretty creepy.

11. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

Indeed. That morgue scene was particularly creeply espeically when one remembers what it is and what it represents. Have to say that Genesis was pretty creepy too when the whole crew starting to de-evolve.

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Not at all. :)

It's an underrated episode, "Skin of Evil". Armus deserved a follow-up, there's enough background story about these titan beings... and surely that Federation probe launched would intrigue the Romulans and every other enemy of the Federation to beam on down to investigate?? But the horror element works great with what the crew are put through, though they're quick when Roscoe P Coltrane - I mean Leland T Lynch - gets the warp drive going again despite the extremely by-the-numbers scene involving avoiding the checks, there was a missed opportunity in that as well as a potential sequel, Armus was slimy enough - no pun really intended...

Another gem, despite some off moments, is "Datalore". The threats Lore uses about getting Wesley to shriek is pretty horrific. As is actually doing what no villain has done before and actually fire on one of the heroes (Beverly) and visibly injuring her. And, of course, Worf being punched and quickly keeling over by Lore is definitely award-worthy since Worf often gets into scrape without issue -- along comes Lore and *POW*. It's a shocker. and, of course, Lore kicking Data in the head is fairly horrific as well. Again, not a perfect episode but many little set pieces make up for the story's problems.

I vaguely recall other horror-worthy scenes in season 1. Appropriate to the story, not how horrific season 1 is overall in terms of trying to get people to stop watching.

"Contagion" had some great examples of horror as well. Both on plot level and production level, the trickery used to show Geordi being pummeled inside the turbolift is rather effective, as is seeing the Yamato explode for no reason and with everyone watching. (Sadly, the episode also becomes a trope namer as "warp core breach, abandon ship!" would become the ubiquitous go-to crutch every time they had to put the ship into peril, which in turn makes Geordi's exposition on how improbable the situation is look unintentionally laughable in retrospect. )

And while BOBW pt 2 has aged better than pt 1, and even though I had figured out the cliffhanger early on, it's still something of a shock to see Picard as a Borg at the end. It is a jaw-dropper nonetheless, partly because you think "naah, they're not going to do it - they made it way too obvious" and yet they do it despite the obvious build-up. The make-up department might be the reason why, they did a really great job. It's still a shock, even if one could predict it. What's sad is that the $2000 laser in the headgear and later repurposed to read compact discs with now costs only $2 and is used to pinpoint a chart on a wall and/or to entertain cats.

And, of course, Troi chocolate cake with mint frosting. I've to eat my broccoli first, then go for the chocolate afterward.

13. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

Wesley trying to warn everyone that Lore was impersonating Data and was planning to kill everyone, only to be met with a "Shut up, Wesley!" from the Captain of all people, the one man he respected more than anyone else who had a close friendship with his own mother... that was truly horrific to my childhood mind.

It was like, here, let me totally destroy any respect you used to have for me with this totally unjust betrayal and dismissal of your very valid warning because you're just a kid.

Imagine if it had been Riker who the Captain met with a "Shut up, Will!"

14. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

It has been mentioned before but I'll mention it again.

I remember being spooked when Barclay-spider jumped up in engineering in 'Genesis'.
    Not by how he looked but how it was done, SURPRISE!

[​IMG]

15. spinagogue

spinagogue Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed that "Time Squared" is genuinely creepy and unsettling.

SPIN

16. Handsomeyoungensign

Handsomeyoungensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

going to nod night terrors and genesis... dark page has really dark imagery just rewatched it.. when Lwaxanna speaks and its Picards image that part freaks me out... just that whole episode dark and creepy

17. Handsomeyoungensign

also. timescape 6th season... when the romulan jumps out at Geordi and at first Geordis like hey. wasnt that guy over there... that part if I dont psyche out before hand 9 times out of 10 gets me.. those kind of scenes in movies. i really hate those.. makes me jump

18. Handsomeyoungensign

The one with Geordi when he turns into chameleon. Was terrified of that episode in my youth. Wicked work with the costumes on that 1⃣

19. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Known as the Van Halen effect in TV world.

20. TheCrankyCardassian

TheCrankyCardassian Lieutenant Red Shirt

It always creeps me out a little when Janeway acted like she forgot her meds :)

21. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Night Terrors is rather underrated and unfairly maligned for some rather dumb moments that are supposed to be scary like Picard being crushed by the turbolift and Riker with the snakes in his bed.

I really agree with Phantasms. Where various members of the crew reconstruct the alien examination lab jointly on the holodeck and they finally have it down "I've been here. We've all been here".

And when a shocked Riker is told that his arm was severed and reattached while he was taken.

22. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

The best part of that is before the snakes when he walks into his quarters and hears a creak like someone is in there walking. Although how the floors on the Enterprise could creak like that is a bit silly. It's still a pretty creepy moment.
    Or before that when he tells Picard that he feels like there is someone else in his quarters, waiting for him, when he walks in.

Samuel likes this.