Bit of fun, aka Game: From canon to apocrypha

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Nov 22, 2008.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that Trek novels are written to conform to the screen continuity of the time. And it's only through subsequent shows and movies that they lose their conformity.

Brownie points for the book, and the later episode/movie that contradicted that story, and the plot point in question.

The more recent the book, the more brownie points to be had.

Gold Awards for books that were apocryphal at time of writing.

2. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

So, you want us to name things? Like, in Imzadi, Riker's middle name is "Thelonius" and a year later it's confirmed to be "Thomas" on screen?

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The "Augments" episodes of ENTERPRISE gave the Eugenics Wars a much bigger body count than my novels on the subject. They also introduced the term "Augments" which appears nowhere in my books . . .

C'est la vie.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At the time of writing? Or at the time of publication?

For instance, K.W. Jeter's Bloodletter plot hinges on the engine buffers that had to be installed on ships before they entered the wormhole lest the ships damage the Prophets. Except that's a plot point from the series bible that never made it to air.

Or some of the early Voyager novels that refer to the EMH as "Doctor Zimmermann," because the series bible said that the EMH would take on the name of his creator early on.

More along the lines of what you're looking for, Dark Mirror was a perfectly fine 24th-century exploration of the Mirror Universe, until six months later when "Crossover" aired.

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I'm guessing the most recent such book would be Starfleet: Year One.

7. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, wasn't there an episode of Deep Space Nine (where Bashir's genetic enhancements are revealed) that altered the date of the Eugenics Wars by a couple of hundred years? I had assumed it was because the show was airing in the 90's, when the Wars had supposedly taken place.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Kinda-sorta. The admiral at the end said Khan's day had been 300 years ago (i.e. the mid 21st century), but Ron Moore later admitted that he had just lifted that figure from TWOK and forgot to account for the time that had passed since then.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There is also Federation and Strangers from the Sky being overwritten by Star Trek: First Contact.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, the figure given in both The Wrath of Khan and "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" was two hundred years ago. Which really doesn't make sense...

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As stated, it wasn't a deliberate alteration, just an error. My personal fix is that the admiral who said the wars were 200 years before was confusing the Eugenics Wars with the Augment Crisis from Enterprise's fourth season. ENT made it pretty clear that the Eugenics Wars had happened generations before; I don't think they explicitly specified the 1990s, but their references required them to be in the early 21st century at latest.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Genesis Wave books nobody seemed to know what Genesis was, but in the Voyager episode The Omega Directive Janeway knew what Genesis was and who built it.

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Phlox says that the Augments are examples of 20th-century genetic engineering as I recall. Which only tells us when they were created, but presumably the war couldn't have been too much later.