Non humanoid Borg assimilation

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Excelsior, Oct 21, 2008.

1. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

We know that they can assimilate technology and humanoid species and make them drones.

The question is would non humanoid species like the Sheliak or Species 8472 be made into drones as well, and what of other intelligent biological creatures like shapeshifters and other things.....

2. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

I don't think they'd make very good drones - it is the shape and physical adaptability (legs, arms, hands, fingers, appendages) that make humanoids effective as drones.

However, I see no reason why the Borg wouldn't assimilate non-humanoid, intelligent (or non-intelligent!) species into the collective to serve other purposes. Biological components can be very effective (that's why they don't just make androids) - I could see things like Sheliak being installed into Borg ships as computer cores or more ship-like components (rather than inhabitant-like drones).

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

All we have seen are humanoid drones. I tend to believe they would assimilate non-humanoids as well though. It is only our bipedal bias that makes us believe we are the only ones worthy of assimilation. :borg:

4. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Well I think the introduction of 8472 revolving around the Borg trying to assimilate them kinda answers that question.

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a large thread pertaining to the assimilation of shapeshifters... in the DS9 forum I think. Not sure what the consensus was, but since the DS9 shape shifters could turn into fire, fog, etc. they could probably resist assimilation. The Borg could probably turn just about anything they could assimilate into a drone- even if it wasn't practical to be working an interface or walking around, it would still give its knowledge and be tied into the hive for future reference etc.

6. Loneknight

Loneknight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I thought they only assimilated other species into the collective based on their technological prowess. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense to assimilate anything they can - intelligent or otherwise - for more drones, etc.

I could be thinking of something else...:vulcan:

7. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that Species 8472 was resistant to assimilation.

8. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Good question. As I recall, in one of the Shatnerverse novels, they show some kind of insect-like life-form with a multiple segmented body, kind of like a centipede, doing some kind of maintenance work. So I could see the Borg assimilating an insectoid-species and using them to perhaps fix small corridors and crawlspaces in a Borg cube. -- RR

9. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

the thing is that they don't need 8472. they have all they need to create a super army of super borgs if only they used the genetic knowlege they already have and boost the humanoids they have to their fullest. thus bringing them closer to the perfection they seek and elevating themselves further. they are not using their resources properly. alas the borg are not very smart and quite lazy/complacent. must be a relic of the skynet computer....

imagine an army or borg with powers like kes. the possibilities are just astounding. the very beings who strive to elevate themselves and are supposed to be the horrific symbol of advancement by any means, can't see that they are stagnant. guess that proves humanoid minds still control the borg. lol

i wonder if 7 would throw a fit if someone pointed out the different ways the borg were inefficient, stagnant, and counter productive. hmmm....

10. Shintaek

Shintaek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm beginning to think that skynet is the killer robot/cyborg/machine/computer's version of the big bang. :rommie:

11. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

That's another thing that crossed my mind. Particularly if they assimilate a Betazoid do they have access to their empathic powers to read thoughts and emotions.

12. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yes, but the fact that we know that obviously means the Borg tried, albeit unsuccessfully, which would tend to answer the OP's query.

13. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone here read that short story in the book Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 8 called "Alpha & Omega"? It's a very good story about how the Borg somehow find a way to assimilate the Q continuum, which brings about the end of mankind pretty much. It ends when
    V'Ger returns to Earth millions of years later to see what humanity is up to, only to be assimilated by the Borg. However, as a result of the Borg trying to assimilate V'Ger, they inadvertently cause V'Ger to "reset" the universe.

14. Marie1

No, not just technology, but also knowledge etc. One of their sayings is "...we will add your biological and tech. distinctiveness to our own..."

15. Loneknight

Ah, indeed. I stand corrected....should have known that.

*Hangs head in shame*

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought that they said in the episode that 8472 was able to attack the nanoprobes on a cellular level.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

A Borg Horta would be good for a laugh

18. Marie1

LOL, you can't remember everything... well some people can, but its insane.
    *gives LK some cake for effort*

Dear Land...

19. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

That had nothing to do with their non-humanoidness though, but the power of their immune system.

Also, strictly speaking they were not resistant to assimilation, they were resistant to the nano-probes. The moment the nano-probes are modified to bypass that immune system, can be assimilated just as well as any humanoid species.

20. Loneknight

Heh, thanks.

I blame lack of sleep for my lapse of Trek knowledge (and it's sad because I'm watching TNG on DVD right now).

Oh well...interesting thread, nonetheless. :techman: