MLP:FiM S3E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 18, 2013.

?

Grade & Discuss

1. A

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. F

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

If we'd had an hour, we would have seen a lot more of Fluttershy's Friendship Boot Camp.
    "What do I have to do to prove to you that I'm willing and able to change?"

"Banish yourself to the moon!"

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, as it stands I have to give this one a low "B." It was good but the premise was better than the execution, I think. There was a lot of needless and repetitious exposition that took time away from characterization that could have made the whole thing more plausible. It honestly surprised me, as up until now Polsky has been very good at writing natural-sounding conversations. A lot of the exchanges in this one were very clumsy.

Still, there was plenty to like here: good premise, good gags, lots of Q references, and interesting possibilities for the future with a good guy Discord.

My one other wish for the episode: an explicit Deja Q shout-out. "So Rainbow Dash, eaten any good books lately?" Oh well.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

I didn't really like it. I'm sorry. It was far too rushed, and felt a bit... off. The animation seemed of lower quality than usual in places, and some of the voice acting as well. The premise was hard to swallow anyway, and the sudden shift in Discord's attitude fell completely flat for me. It seemed like there were many ideas developing as to how Discord would use the situation to separate Fluttershy from the others, and yet they kept screeching to a halt and being replaced with another one.

The only bit I really liked was the revelation as to why Discord was eating paper. That was the only time I laughed.

4. Peach Wookiee

Unfortunately, stabbing with a fork, showing up naked (difficult when nobody wears clothes on a regular basis) and telling a character to die are not acceptable for children's programming.

ETA: I have a humorous image now. Discord, Pinkie and Dash joining forces in the most epic prank war Ponyville has ever known.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes! I gave it an "A". Discord was completely within character, Fluttershy once again confirms she is best pony (for now), and we get a fun episode with John DeLancie, which makes it all worthwhile. Also, such language! :D

Well, to be fair, he did say it begrudgingly. :lol:
    I actually like how this works out. This makes Discord more like Q. You never knew what kind of entity Q was going to be, whether it was malevolent or helpful. It added an air of mystery to him, and I think it did the same here. Yes, he likes friendship, but he's also a trickster, so that will play into future roles, I hope.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

F

I will change it to C if they reveal he's still playing them and using this "reform" as a ruse true to his actual character.

Otherwise F-

7. Peach Wookiee

I still say it's a "Deja Q" thing. Oh no! Draconequis Continuum!!! :D

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Discord is the embodiment of everything disharmonious, chaos, destruction and entropy. The anethema of society, friendship, love, etc

This will end with his permanent imprisonment or destruction, and Celestia better finally grow a pair and do it. This is getting ridiculous, Twilight was right to chew her out, in fact she went no where near far enough and it's time she got over her feelings for Celestia.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or maybe to give into them. :adore:

What?! Who said that? I certainly didn't! That's crazy! :shifty:

Seriously though, yeah, I get the feeling this episode is going to be a "love it" or "hate it" for the older fans. Me, I love it, because I don't think Discord's done being Discord.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Besides, the world needs some measure of chaos. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Without it, nothing would ever change or evolve.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The world doesn't change for his absense, only his presence. Having him arounf damages the world, and ponykind.

Sorry but no. This creature reined for centuries destroying pony kind to the point of the Alicorns intervening, when he returned he mind raped all 6 of them, Fluttershy more forcibly than the rest, to prevent his new reign. He would have had them starving, dying in months, and showed zero concern at all for the lives he was about to take or the violation of living beings around him.

Someone weak, mortal, insipid and seemingly incapable of standing up to anything making him cave in entirely after millenia of sheer psychopathic frenzy? no.

It's dumb beyond any childish resolution this show has used.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

No, just no.

This is the epitome of lazy writing. I don't care if this is a children's show. The hamfisted out of the blue resolution is just stupid, cloying, and completely untrue to the character. This is Discord, the embodiment of chaos. He is one of the greatest threats they have ever faced. Saying that "he just needed a friend" is ridiculous.

13. Gepard

A development that suddenly makes sense once you learn that the episode's story was written by a 15-year-old Brony.

I'm not kidding.

Read here and here. The second is a link to Teddy Antonio's IntenseDebate account, which he was using to drop hints about the episode on EqD for weeks now. No one apparently noticed until yesterday.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, that's lame. I haven't seen the episode yet, but like all of you I've been hoping for more Discord since his first appearance. Of course, having him sipping tea with Fluttershy isn't exactly what I had in mind.

15. Peach Wookiee

I watched it again and my A grade stands. I was reminded, at the end of the episode when Discord realized Fluttershy was angry with him, of how Q realized Data had risked his life to save Q and was the only one who accepted that Q was human right from the start of the episode.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

17. Peach Wookiee

^Do we have any proof that this is the same person and not an impersonator? If it is indeed so... *eyes my fic about AJs parents.*

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well that would explain that weird and inappropriate 'gravy in the crotch' gag.

19. Gepard

Not ironclad, but he referenced the original title, "Fluttershy's Home for Reformed Draconequui," about three weeks ago. Meghan McCarthy didn't publicly reveal that title until yesterday. So if the account is a fake, it's being done by someone with connections to the show. I don't see why they would bother to pretend to be a 15-year-old.

20. Peach Wookiee

^To mess with our heads, I imagine.