Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually quite like it. It's a sleek design that combines the NX-01 and the Ent-E quite nicely. I know many won't like that it includes NX-01/Akira influence into the 1701 line, so maybe it shouldn't be an Enterprise, but regardless, I think it's a nice design.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess Ford Motors must have disrespected the heck outta North American Aviation.

Or maybe they called their car the Mustang because its a cool name that conveys the "spirit" of the car on an advertising level?

What considerably talented artists do is a moot point, as nomenclature is concerned. At one point, GKDesigns' Legacy was a fan design for the Titan, but the North America-only contest changed that. It was out of no disrespect to Galen and Kaden - they merely got cockblocked by officially licensed material. You might find it if you looked for the Titan, but you'd have better luck looking for it by the Legacy name.

Plus, there's quite a few Enterprise-F designs out there. Shouldn't STO's devs go with something less common, out of respect to all the artists that have made Enterprise-Fs? Like the Enterprise-Blue? Maybe Super Dimension Galaxy Fortress Enterprise Mark 6?

3. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not even a knockoff since it's not an official design, and definitely not something produced by Hasbro. Just another fan design.

5. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Oh wow!

I hadn't seen the twitter photo yet. Super cool sauce!

...though I'm with Vektor in the fact that the meaning of this photo is completely ambiguous at best. It could just as easily be a set of "images that had more vowels than consonants in their filenames." That's where my munnys is.

Y'know, as the contest finale draws closer, I find myself just ridiculously excited to see a new Enterprise revealed. My inner geek is completely aglow just for that fact. Anybody else geeked out about that?

I mean, how many times has this happened in Star Trek's almost half-century on the screen? We're on the cusp of a major event!

Super, duper cool.

6. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

Tell me about it! I'm not good with suspense under typical circumstances. It's been a long wait for the judges and as the announcement gets close (2 weeks now) I'm spending every waking moment on the edge of my seat biting my nails :drool:

7. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can hardly wait myself to see who's design wins out. Take it from someone who has had one of their designs incorporated into the Trek Universe it is a wild ride. Win or loose I am happy that my design was among many great designs.

8. Fuzzy Modem

It's a kind of immortality. Star Trek will be around long after we're dead and gone. To contribute to that universe is to add our vision to what is arguably the defining cultural conception of our future as a species.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Or it could be as quoted in post 743 of this thread by the person that took the photo.

10. Fuzzy Modem

When I read your posts I hear the voice of Hugh Laurie (with American accent) :lol:

11. sojourner

^Yea, I identify with "House" a little too much. At least in the sarcasm department.

12. Fuzzy Modem

Yay! I can use an Avatar now, and you can see who I identify with :)
    <-

13. sojourner

^Spock Lennon Potter?

14. Fuzzy Modem

Spock/Lennon, though I'm now tempted to add a lightning bold scar :rommie:

15. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

The universe might explode...

:lol:

~Belisarius

16. Fuzzy Modem

...with awesomeness!!!

17. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a VERY long time since I posted here, and I don't plan to change that, but I just wanted to say... Fuzzy Modem's ship is by FAR my favorite one.

Partly, that's due to the fact that it's well-rendered, granted... but more significantly, it's because it WORKS. It's not just a hack-together of TNG-era bits and bobs... its a different configuration than we know, but it still "fits" with the existing theory (fictional though it may be).

I have two very minor quibbles... I'm not fond of the "color shifted band" around the nacelles, really... where they're red in front and blue the rest of the way around. I'd be inclined to make that a more smooth "doppler shift" transition. And second, I have to say that I'm just not a fan of the "cut-in" areas that so many post-TNG-era ships have, especially on the underside of the primary hull. But those are MINOR quibbles...

Yes, by far, you have MY vote. I'd be happy to have that as the "real" next Enterprise. It's beautiful, and it seems to make sense.

I'm curious... how detailed have you been in your thinking-through of the design? I mean... do you have an internal layout worked up? Is there a reason for some of the design choices (besides, though including naturally, "because it looks cool?")

18. Fuzzy Modem

Thanks man :) I do have the inside worked out:
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus/big/ent-f_lcars.jpg

-and there is more material here including the bridge:
    http://crossovercomic.com/index.php...s/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus&folder=big

The red-purple-blue does turn some people off.

The way I figure it the warp field grille (blue) and the bussard collector cowling (red) are both particle apertures. The blue lets certain particles out, and the red lets certain particles in. So what you are seeing is a single particle aperture with one end polarized.

Yeah, most of my design choices are aesthetic, and I try to cover my ass with such Technobabble explanations :lol:

I'm often told that the shapes must be separated, but are you suggesting that the transition be more gradual? More purple?

For the "cut in areas" I worked from the underside of the E:
    http://www.crymod.com/uploads/mediapool/news/crysis/startrek/enterprise-e.jpg
    (which is actually a raised torus)
    and Spacedock:
    http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11187&start=0
    (rather mushroom-like)
    -but in retrospect, it's kind of a "harsh/angry" shape, which is okay, but I'd should have shot for "elegant"

I really like the ship in your avatar, but I don't recognize it :confused:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  19. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I thought I'd commented before.. anyway, nice ship you got there Fuzzy Modem (56k? ;) )

20. Fuzzy Modem

Thanks :) When I chose this handle it was 13.3k! Alaskan internet in 1997 weeeeeee... :p