The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I asked myself the same thing. Nevermind beaming over, why didn't they just get out of there in the first place? Maybe they need to project strength and aren't trained to cut and run? I don't know.

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Feds don't run? ;)

wasn't the warp drive damaged in the first attack as well as the communications and transporting ability? wait, did they have transporting ability to begin with in that era?

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Gods, you basically summed up all the action in the entire movie. :lol:

4. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

5. indranee

of course you're not alone. look up... you've got 83 other people with you right here on this board. so stop feeling sorry for yourselves ;)

6. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Saw it for the third time and probably enjoyed it the least of them. Once I can sit back and actually think about what's going on, rather than just going with the flow, the ridiculous nature of the film becomes quite evident.

At least this time I got to stay through the whole end credits (since there were only three others in the cinema). Had to laugh when I saw the songs were performed by someone supposedly named Cyrano Jones!

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I recall someone else mentioning that here, possibly in one of the soundtrack discussions.

8. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh of course...but I'm used to seeing the TOS level of friendship, and it's just weird to see it's beginnings in an alternate timeline.

I was also wondering stuff like "what about Capt. April?" and "How are they going to do Amok Time with no Vulcan?", so you can see I was concentrating on the really important stuff.:lol:

Today, I was remembering the Spock/McCoy chess scene from "Court-Martial" and how that kind of encapsulated what I love about the relationships from TOS. It's a compliement to JJ and everyone involved that a longtime Trek viewer like me could see enough of that to get me into the film, while still bringing in new viewers.

9. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

they lost warp drive (you see robau talking to the chief engineer) transporters and most of their shields in that first attack.

if one listens to robau talking to kirk it is pretty obvious he is going over just to buy them time to evacuate if they have too.

he even tells kirk to put the ship on autopilot (which is knocked out in the attack when robau is killed) and get away.

a lot of how communication works depends on how close a ship is to a subspace booster relay.

even in tos they sometimes had instead communications but other times had to wait for communications to go through.

other things like weird anomalies ect could have played a part.

10. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

George Kirk reminded me too much of Trip Tucker, so there was some dislike-by-association from the beginning.

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^ I didn't gett hat vibe at all. We must have seen different movies.

12. indranee

^ yeah, I didn't either. Tucker's not my favorite character in Trek or ENT, so that'd have been bad :p

I love Pine as Kirk! :adore:

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Pine was the most difficult to get used to, but he did a splendid job. Just hope they don't make him channel Shatner too much next movie...

14. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

It would be better for Pine to find his own way as Kirk.

15. indranee

I think he is on his way. he did a fantastic job.

16. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Exactly what part of the "Warp drive knocked out" line in the movie did you miss? :devil: It's there, listen to the status updates coming from the crew in the Kelvin bridge scenes.

17. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    We heard the line. The question is one of timing. Speaking only for myself, I've only seen the movie once (and don't plan on going to the cinema again to see it) so I can't quite remember. But the feeling I got from watching once was that they did have the time to get out of there BEFORE the warpdrive was taken out.

18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to resee it tonight or tomorrow, but the report of warp being down came pretty quick... I think the only shot they would have had at getting out would have been if they turned tail and ran as soon as they saw Narada coming out.

19. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yep - and even then it might have been too late. The Narada fired on them virtually instantly after it emerged for the anomaly. That first volley took out the warp drive.

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got back from it and Hyperspace05 is correct... warp was reported down immediately after the first shot.