DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Guy! Where the hell did that rant come from?

As for Morrison--his first year on Action was pretty good, especially the first arc. I don't know where this more recent acid trek arc came from but it made less sense than Final Crisis. Once I am on vacation, I am going to sit down and read the first 18 issues from the beginning and see if I can understand them.

2. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Morrison is awesome because thanks to his style of storytelling, I can experience the effects of psychadelic drugs without having to take said drugs myself.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Morrison needs a good editor, someone to tell him when he's gotten too far afield. Unfortunately, DC doesn't have any good editors any more.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you mean, did I lift it from somewhere else, or why did I say it?

"Type fucker type" is too much Chapelle, the rest is me, well they're both me, it's not like Chapelle has propriety rights on calling someone a fucker while cackling... Although I did see Jesus Christ Superstar recently even if the message there was wrong era buddy, and not stop sending prophets. My Muslim flatmate years ago confided in me that Mohammed assured the world that he was the very last prophet of god and if anyone else turned up claiming that they were a prophet of god, trying to reverse or distort his message, that they, his beloved devotees should resort to the usual recourse when lying flimmflamm men try to grift them.

Convenient, no?

But the rant was in response to this from the Seeker.

I watched Frequently Asked Questions about time travel last night where they flit about through time pruning the ancillary years off geniuses barely moments after the creation of the finest master piece to reduce brand degradation... You know, like killing Kevin Costner straight after he made Dances with Wolves.

So to make the world better, would you kill Morrison Now, Straight after his run on the JLA, straight after Doom patrol or straight after the Invisibles?

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I enjoyed his work on Batman, pre-New 52, I think the best choice would be after All-Star Superman ended. We'd lose his run on Batman and Robin, but the only real shame would be the loss of the first three issues. The rest were, meh.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

After reading what Peter Tomasai thoughts about his plans for Carrie Kelly...I'm honestly excited to see what he's going to be doing with her in the book. At the very least another reason to read "Batman and Robin" again.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up the first WW volume today.
    My thoughts from Shelfari:

8. Admiral_Young

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Admiral_Young

^ Probably would be better than what we're getting.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Admiral_Young

Jeff Lemaire co-writing Justice League of America has me intrigued to be honest, as well as writing "Justice League Dark" I'll be checking this out since it's DC first major event since Flashpoint, but I'm not expecting very much out of it. Looks like it will also be just contained in the Justice League books which is a good thing.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've only been reading Justice League so far but I'll buy the crossover books so they'll get at least a short term sales boost out of me.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I gave up on Earth 2, but decided to pick up issues 10 and 11 because of the Dr. Fate arc. Now I have to go back and find #9.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I hate that. I have been really behind on my reading so when I caught up on Justice League I discovered I had to go back and buy some issues of Aquaman to read the Throne of Atlantis storyline. On the other had I also discovered that I like Aquaman and have been buying up the back issues. I still haven't found a first print of issue one.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I gave up on Aquaman because I want to be selective about what I read, but I found it to be one of the best written titles if not the best. The Throne of Atlantis arc looked good, but I stopped before that because I didn't want to get sucked in and have to commit to several more months and issues. And yeah, it crossed over to other titles. That I don't like.

18. Admiral_Young

The Throne of Atlantis only crossed over to Justice League and was really good in both books. They actually complimented each other and probably was Johns strongest arc on Justice League.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking a couple weeks ago, and I saw that the Batman: Night of the Owls has all of the crossover issues. How hard would it be to follow the non-Batman issues without the earlier issue of those series? Would I be better off just buying the Batman solo parts of the arc?

20. Admiral_Young

The main bits take place in "Batman" (I just ordered the second volume which came out a couple weeks ago) and the other Bat-Family parts are collected in "Batman: The Night of Owls" (which is also available in trade) which is the main month long arc. You have no trouble following what's going on if you just get "Batman" though which is what I ended up doing after dropping a couple of the other books around that time.