Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

The upcoming series. I edited that post to make it clearer, sorry. It was a tangential thought since we've been talking about casting.

2. cooleddie74

My, my. Look who says they got a call about the new film.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glm8pSEmqDs[/yt]

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zac Efron confirms he is in talks to star in Star Wars film

Hollywood Life

4. cooleddie74

I'm sure that'll get some haters started, but if he gets a role then he gets one. It's not as if Johnny Knoxville is in talks to be a prominent character (though in that case the potential for physical comedy would make an Ewok beaning himself in the face with a slingshot look mild). ;)

5. DarthTom

Based on Efron's appearance and prior acting appearances I guarantee he's going to be Han and Leia's son or that's what JJ would like to cast him as.

It will be interesting to see if Abrams follows the novels and makes Jacen follow the dark side of the force?

6. cooleddie74

Though J.J. and the producers have said they're not beholden to the EU and won't be crafting the new film to adhere to it, I for one am not opposed to Jacen and Jaina appearing in some capacity. The Solo Twins have been in the collective consciousness of the Star Wars fanbase for a long time whether some of us liked those stories or not and the idea of Han and Leia having twins themselves isn't a bad concept.

Handled correctly and with some deft writing Jacen and Jaina Solo could become some strong heroes for the Sequel Trilogy, but we know what's been said about the EU and now with the official decanonization of much of it by the folks at Disney it's probably a fair bet that if the twins appear their adventures will be pretty different from what we read in the novels. I'm more than fine with that.

7. DarthTom

I'm not personally against Efron being in the Wars film but I'm really hoping that Abrams does not use Benedict Cumberbatch who IMO is way over exposed in SF lore.

Leave Cumberbatch as Khan in Trek and leave him out of Wars please JJ.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I thought Michael Fassbender was the hip name being bandied about for Star Wars.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

They should use the guy that does Palpatine for Red Letter Media

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The OT was Luke/Han/Leia. Those were the main chars. However, you had romance Han/Leia.

If the main chars of this are Ben/Jacen/Jaina... Where's the romance? (Ignoring that in some cultures it's ok for cousins to be involved, probably wouldn't go very well in mainstream american cinema)

So is there another female char to make an appearance as a potential romance for Ben or Jacen? Is there a male char for a romance for Jaina? There are obviously those types of chars for them in the EU, just not sure how it would work having to go outside the new "big 3" to find romance for them in the movie without seeming forced or overly bloating things.

11. cooleddie74

Who knows. Jacen could have a romantic interest amongst the ranks of the new film cast. We don't have to have a new romance, though, since Han and Leia would already provide that facet for the story having been together for the past 30 years and having children, but knowing Hollywood they'll want to give the handsome young actor somebody to bat his eyes at and vice versa just to get a few additional eyeballs into the cinemas.

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

I always thought Oldman had supplied General Grievous' voice....but apparently it wasn't used.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think anyone other than Matthew Wood did it. I though that was another situation where he originally just did the temporary voice, but they liked it so much they kept it. I could be mistaken though.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ That was my understanding of it as well. Though, it's been so many years, I don't have a link handy. And I'm too lazy to google it.

:p

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And then added Lucas' cough. :rolleyes:

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Not casting news, but ILM announced yesterday that they're opening an outpost in London for effects not just on the next Star Wars trilogy, but other films including Age of Ultron.

17. cooleddie74

I saw that. There are people inside the industry already complaining that the new London facilities will take jobs from American effects artists at a time when it's not a good thing. Personally, I don't see a big issue with branching out and setting up some offices closer to where many big budget films are actually shot.

Any positions on this side of the pond will be replaced by something else of equal or even greater value. Besides, it's not as if the American special effects artist is some endangered, dying species.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as their not shutting down fascilities in the US, I don't see how it would effect the US SFX industry. If anything it would just help the UK industry.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The US SFX industry is under major financial strain and in danger of losing a lot of jobs, partly because of SFX work going overseas where labor costs are lower. See here.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah. I do remember hearing about that now that you link through to that story. It just seems weird to me that the industry would be in such bad shape, when so many movies are using such massive amounts of VFX these days.