the ugliest enterprise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Faria, May 28, 2013.

?

the ugliest enterprise is...

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. nx-01

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. tos enterprise

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. enterprise A

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. enterprise B

17 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. enterprise C

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. enterpriseD

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  7. enterprise F

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. JJprise

43 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JJEnt. Miss-proportioned --tho I like most of the surface details and the cinematic presentation of the ship-- and the aesthetics of some of the interior spaces are not my cup of Earl Grey.

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Do you have a suggestion that's less cumbersome than "alternate universe _______" ?

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't mind it being referred to as the "JJPrise," since writing out "Alternate Universe Enterprise" is a bit cumbersome, as is "Enterprise (JJ Abrams Variant)" and so on. So I figure the shorthand is fine.

Anyhoo, it was difficult for me to decide, as there are things I like about every Enterprise we've seen on-screen, save for the Enterprise-J, which I consider truly ugly. Of course, it's not a poll option, so I have to pick something else.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose the NX-01, though I still like it, it would be my least favorite design.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The overall color of the TOS-E is functional military grey. As for bland, I'd say more like simple, clean, classic.

Well, that's what makes horse races, as they say.

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ-Prise would've been alright if the nacelles weren't so swollen up front, like the front fenders of a 50's Chevy.

The Enterprise B starts out OK on the saucer section, has a pretty cool metal fin treatment on the neck and then... WTF? The secondary hull planes out to the sides. Separated from the ship, it looks like some kind of weird kitchen appliance. And then those nacelles... AWFUL! They stretch on into infinity, so disgustingly long.

I agree that the Enterprise D's saucer section should have been oval from fore to aft, not port to starboard. If that had been done and the warp nacelles given some kind of aft ports, they would've looked like engines. Instead they look like pontoon floats.

NX-01 is supposed to look crude. It's the time frame that makes it so.

Anyway, Enterprise B stands out as the worst for me.

6. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The JJPrise (AbramsPrise, AltUnivPrise, whatever) looks screwed up to me. The front end doesn't match the back end. It's like they did a saucer seperation. And when they tried to dock the primary hull to the back end, they picked the wrong one.
    And now with the new movie. Which I still haven't seen yet. The JJPrise looks as bad on the inside as it does on the outside. I'll guess I will just wait for Netflix.

7. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

the ugliest enterprise for me it's the E, close the JJprise

But those with the worst interior is the jjprise

8. scotpens

A lot of fans like the Enterprise-E, but to me it looks way over-designed. (It also looks like a giant alien stepped on it.) It would be more at home in Japanese anime than in the Trekverse.

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Reboot _____.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, definitely the Enterprise B. It was essentially a re-badged Excelsior, which was intentionally designed to be ugly in TSFS. Definitely an ugly duck in space.

11. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The NX-01 Inverted Akira-prise.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Abrams Enterprise. It took a wonderful design, which had already had an awesome re-design, and just completely ruined it. Those nacelles are especially terrible.

Runner-up is the NX-01, which is baiscally just an Akira class designed to look "retro."

13. Belz...

Hum, well it was never anything else. B was supposed to be of the same class.

Is that your opinion or do you have a quote for that ?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I doubt the Excelsior was intentionally designed to be ugly. After all, at the time it was supposed to replace the Enterprise. You don't intentionally design your new hero ship to be ugly.

15. scotpens

The Excelsior/Enterprise-B design has its share of enthusiasts as well. Frankly, I think it looks like a dachshund. And that flat-topped secondary hull -- do they launch airplanes off that?

16. Belz...

I think it's glorious. :)

17. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

JJprise

The saucer is OK. The nacelles are too big in front and the blue Bussard collectors don't stand out. The navigational deflector juts out too far forward. Inside the white is too sterile. The brewery seems too big to fit inside.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JJprize, though I am starting to respect it as a character in it's own right. Still ugly though.

19. Belz...

I wonder why so many people harp on the Reboot ship's nacelles. Looks fine to me.

20. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read somewhere that the Excelsior was meant to look the Enterprise if she were designed by Japanese efficiency experts.