Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Luckily for you, then, there's a list of major dramatis personae at the back of each volume of the trilogy. And it's sort essential to introduce the major players as early as possible. It might seem like a lot, but soon enough you'll see who the focus characters are by noting whose point of view is used in subsequent scenes.

ETA: For those who are interested, there is now a new interview with moi posted at TrekMovie.com.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except, unlike Secret Invasion, it won't suck.

(And yes, I've read the painfully slow 5 issues of SI so far, and I'm still wondering why I'm going to bother seeing the series through...).

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

On behalf of all of us thank you for that.

4. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had another wacky idea about how the Destiny trillogy could end. Maybe the Borg, by the end of book three, will decide to adopt a new phillosophy regarding the United Federation of Planets: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." :borg:

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Isn't that kind of already the Borg philosophy? Except it's "Don't try to beat 'em, make 'em join us."

6. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I wondered about that while watching the closing moments of "Q Who?" during the marathon this weekend. Guinan speculates that at some future point, it might be possible to establish a relationship between the Borg and the Federation. While I obviously have no idea where the books are going with this (and though I trust Margaret and the writers not to disappoint), I must admit that I'd kind of like it if the end result of all this didn't end up being a contest of might, but a resolution of ideals. I guess we'll see in a few months!

7. David Mack

^ All I ask is that, on the big-picture story, everyone withhold judgment until after reading the last book of the trilogy.

8. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, well....fat chance of that happening.

Nice try, though.

9. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

So what's KRAD's "A Singular Destiny" about?

10. EnochRoot

EnochRoot Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Money quote from David Mack's interview at TrekMovie:

"In many ways, we have begun treating the writing of Star Trek novels like running a writers’ room on a television series, with the editors serving as showrunners and each of us doing our part to tell the individual stories while safeguarding the continuity and narrative cohesion of the franchise as a whole."

This is exactly what I as a reader/consumer like to see. Please keep up this practice. It makes each novel feel more like an "event". It also has built a more interesting and consistent universe for the reader to enjoy.

11. EnochRoot

From the Memory Alpha entry http://memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/A_Singular_Destiny

Describing it as a "Clancy-style political thriller", DeCandido noted that the novel will not focus on any of the main crews - with the protagonist being a newly-created civilian character - although familiar characters will appear. It will center on the political repercussions from Destiny, featuring characters from DeCandido's previous work, Articles of the Federation.

12. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yes, everybody, it's me! I've been keeping up with the books, but not so much with the discussion:

After Destiny, will all the TNG-era series finally be caught up to each other on the calendar? (Instead of being set years apart from each other, put published at the same time)?

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Hell, I've already formed my judgment on The Calling...

14. EnochRoot

It is my understanding that A Singular Destiny, Full Circle (VOY), Losing the Peace (TNG), Over a Torrent Sea (TTN) will all follow up on the events of Destiny.

DS9 and New Frontier will not make any "leap" ahead to catch up w/ those series. The storyline of those series will continue at its own pace.

I have heard no news about Corps of Engineers or Klingon Empire continuing and therefore have no clue what point in time their story will pick up at if they do return. (fingers crossed)

15. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

About 88,000 words.

What?

16. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

We should be thankful that we didn't start a drinking game based on that joke, otherwise we'd all be needing new livers.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New Frontier is already in the post-Nemesis timeframe anyways, so there's no need to leap.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the interview about an hour ago, and it was really intersting. I always love being able to get that sort of insight into how books, movies and TV shows are made, and this did not let me down. I've been somewhat skeptical about just how big of an impact it will have, but not any more now.

19. David Mack

Hell, I'm already on my third liver and my second stomach. There's no such thing as strong booze, only weak people!

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But do not take place at the same time or in the order published. Well, there is some chronological overlap between them, but they take place over different spans of time, and the degree of overlap varies. (For instance, the only part of OaTS that overlaps the others is its prologue.)

So TNG, VGR, and TTN will all be "caught up" with each other for the duration of the trilogy, but afterward, the various series will proceed at their own paces as usual, based on the storytelling needs of each individual series. DS9 will continue moving forward from early 2377 and will not be artificially jumped ahead four years. Klingon Empire is currently holding in late 2376 and CoE was in mid- to late '77 when it went on hiatus.