Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by G2309, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I thought it was okay. Definitely not a smasher like First Contact, but not as bad as TMP (which was still kind of okay IMO). Good thing I've built a bomb shelter for whenever I get the urge to post opinions that demonstrate my abilities of reasoning and original thought... I've had to reinforce it since I joined Youtube though :lol:

2. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

Yeah I thought they did an amazing job with it. I also lie the way the Kelvin uniforms were like the cage pilot.

I rewatched TMP yesterday for the first time in years. There's a huge difference in the way the films are paced. I think modern films can miss the longer cenes sometimes (though not as long as tmp)
    If anyone thinks star trek xi was too dominated by special effects then watch this film. I also prefer the new Enterprise bridge. It looks dull in tmp its like watching it in black and white.

Ryan8 I agree majel Barrett stayed faithful to Trek throughout everything, but I do think Nimoy would have said if he didn't like the movie. He's always come across very genuine. I've never seen many interviews with Barrett sadly.
    Zethram Cochrane wasn't your perfect 24th century human though.
    I do think they handled the only ship thing better than other stories still. Especially after vewing TMP again

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, based on the interviews with Nimoy I got the impression he was given more CREATIVE input in this film than he had in any other movie since The Search for Spock. That's gotta count for something.

4. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I must admit to being very surprised with how good that movie was.I still think they could have done just as welll by continuing the prime time line and the juevenile humor was a bit much at times, but overall a solid flick.

5. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Wasn't Nimoy in TSFS as well?

Agreed, SNL did that too. :lol:

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

In it? He fucking DIRECTED it!

7. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

This film got very little criticism.

I didnt like it but I was surprised that many fans liked it as much as they did. Some are hardcore fans and others are not and some in the middle. From reading this forum and others during the last year or so, Im find it funny that some of the same people like this film even though it has some of the same elements they hated Enterprise and Nemesis for.(overdone special effects, prequel idea, characters acting out of character, ugly ship design etc. etc.)

Plus im surprised that many DO find much wrong with the film but like it anyways.:lol:

To each his own though. For me Trek is dead for now, but for many others this film has given it a new life.(which Im sure wont last nearly as long as the prime continuity)

8. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's hard to quantify. Outside of the "prequel idea," those same people may feel that this film doesn't have those elements that you listed.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's like baking a cake. The more masterful, experienced, knowledgeable baker will generally produce a much better product, even if all of the other bakers have the exact same ingredients. That's the case here. Same general ingredients, different methods, different bakers, totally different results.

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very good way to put it.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm still convinced if this same exact film had come out with Rick Berman's name on it, it would have been a financial and critical failure.

12. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think the general public, who made STXI the success that it was, know or care who Rick Berman is.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think you seriously underestimate the number of times those you had watched Star Trek previously have seen this film.

15. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

I don't think it was so much that it wasn't Berman but that it was J.J. Abrams. Name recognition for Lost and all that. If Lost had tanked I doubt as many people would have seen Trek. However, Lost was a hit and served as free advertising for the movie.

16. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

At least they didn't use McG....:rolleyes:
    Rob

17. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Abrams hasn't said he'll direct the sequel yet....

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not. The same film would not have come out if Rick Berman had been behind it. The needed drive and creative effort needed for this movie just wasn't there anymore with that team. This film had the right blend of action/adventure and pop culture. The previous film mixed those elements poorly.

Now, if you're saying that if Rick Berman and company somehow produced this movie and that it would have been shot down, I disagree there as well. First Contact was a Berman and company effort, and it was very successful. While the anger, frustration and dislike from the fan community has been rather excessive in their vocal displeasure with Berman and crew, there are legitimate reasons why such displeasure exists. Nothing occurs in a vacuum.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

As usual Santa brings the goodies! :cool:

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll weigh in with my own thoughts:

Though it may be a catchy tune, "Enterprising Young Men" can not match the excellence of The Doomsday Machine theme.

"Something different?" You do realize that an orbital skydiving scene was planned for Generations, and that we actually do see orbital skydiving in an episode of Voyager?

After seeing the movie, I know they can't.

Um, what? I'm not saying the TNG movies ever succeeded with comedy, but this movie's attempts at humour were just painfully painful.