Trek Lit - Ebook Only - Anyone have a list of these?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Technobuilder, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep hearing about Ebook Only Trek Lit releases, and I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to post a listing of all such endeavors.

I'm hoping to get an E-Reader soon, and those would make the most sense to get first.

2. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh I don't remember all. Last year saw 'The Struggle Within', a TNG Typhon Pact tale, there was also a Vanguard Ebook I think at the end of '11. I Starfleet Corps of Engineers were mostly Ebook, can't remember if all were released in dead tree form.

3. Spocky8492

Spocky8492 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In the TOS series you have the Mere Anarchy mini series.
    In Vanguard you have In Tempest's Wake (probably the one mentionned above by CaptainDonovin)
    In the TNG series you have the Slings and Arrows mini series

4. Ó Méith

Ó Méith Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mere Anarchy has been published in dead tree.

5. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first ebook only releases were the Corps of Engineers/SCE books. There were 74 in the series, running from 2000 to 2007. All except the last eight have now be collected in paperback omnibuses.

Towards the end of the SCE run there were also two miniseries, which took six month chunks out of the usual SCE monthly release schedule. TOS's Mere Anarchy spans the entire TOS timeline from TV to movie eras, and is also available in a paperback omnibus. TNG's Slings and Arrows takes place in the year before First Contact, the six novellas in this series have not yet been omnibus...ified...

Then with the end of Slings and Arrows there were no more ebooks. I think Trek was a bit ahead of its time. Although the decision to stop came oddly as the new wave of ebook readers were really starting to get popular.

After a few years ebook only stories returned! One a year so far since 2011, each tied to different series:

Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within
    , was an extra story released shortly after the initial Typhon Pact miniseries.

Vanguard: In Tempest's Wake
    , a "coda" to the Vanguard series.

And coming this year, TNG: The Stuff of Dreams, set after the Cold Equations trilogy.

Also out this month, are three new ebook omnibuses with no paperback equivalent (well, two of them don't at least), which collect together several recently released novels.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Don't forget the non-fiction eBook-only title, "The Magic of Tribbles: The Making of 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Trials and Tribble-tions'" by Terry J Erdmann.

7. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There have also been audio book exclusives as well that have never seen print....

Transformations: A Captain Sulu Adventure by Dave Stern
    Cacophony: A Captain Sulu Adventure by J.J. Molloy
    Envoy: A Captain Sulu Adventure by L.A. Graf
    Borg by Hilary Bader
    Spock vs. Q by Cecelia Fannon
    Spock vs. Q: The Sequel by Cecelia Fannon

9. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh...

Oooh...

I knew about Spock Vs. Q I & II, but the others are new to me. Thanks.

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I may be remembering wrong, but ... wasn't the audio version a sort of walk-through of the game of the same name, using audio from the game, with some linking narration?

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slings and arrows were e book exclussive and we have a new rhyming e book from james swallow which will be $3.99 :)

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread just made me realized I never picked up Slings and Arrows.

...how the heck are those $6 a pop for the Kindle? I guess I now know why there are always angry eBook pricing threads going.

13. Therin of Andor

Yep. Just like the "Star Trek Klingon" one, although that one had a novelization as well.

"Klingon: A Fully Dramatized Adventure" by Hilary Bader, directed by Jonathan Frakes, read by Michael Dorn, Robert O'Reilly, and a full cast, 1996, 90 min. (A novelization of the game was written by Dean Wesley Smith and Kathryn Kristine Rusch.)

"Borg: A Fully Dramatized Adventure" by Hilary Bader, directed by James L. Conway, read by Howard McGillin, John de Lancie and a full cast, 1996, 60 min. (Note: Box art used the Klingon one as a template and incorrectly attributes the director role to Jonathan Frakes.)

14. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

They are $4.66 at BooksOnBoard in ePub and there is a 1/3rd off S&S eBooks at BooksOnBoard using the promo code happyprice. So, that makes the prices rather reasonable.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You might also want to add the audio book adaptation of Fallen Heroes (DS9 #5) to that list, since while it shares the same cover and story idea, it is written so differently from the novel that it is very hard to call it an adaptation of any sort. In a way it's kind of like how you have two different versions of "The Hardy Boys: What Happened At Midnight" (1931 & 1967), but aside from the story idea being the same, both stories are written and told very differently.

16. Therin of Andor

Well that still sounds like an adaptation. A writer adapted it from its original source.

Not that I recall it being too different. I guess it was Dafydd ab Hugh's choice to vary his storytelling style when adapting his own manuscript? (It wasn't one of the credited George Truett adaptations.) I do recall enjoying Rene Auberjonois' narration. And the novel itself.

17. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I was looking for a up to date list of ebook only Star Trek novels and I found this thread. Someone mentioned a site that offered good deals, but that site is down now. Where do you find good deals on eBooks these days?

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

You can have a look at http://play.google.com and see what the price is. it will be the same as Amazon and even better then Amazon, it will be in ePub.

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral