MLP:FiM S3E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 18, 2013.

?

Grade & Discuss

1. A

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. F

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty weird assumption. We already know the show hired MandoPony to help with the background music. I don't see what's implausible about them hiring another fan.

I read back through his comments and he says he's the son of two industry writers who've worked on a lot of kid's shows. Seems plausible enough that someone like that could have pulled a few strings for their brony son and hooked him up.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^Now that makes sense. It's not like "Babs and Buster Go Hawaiian."

3. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    It went about how I feared it would. It's a fantastically fun character, that alone makes it fun to watch. But it's such a "big" character (not size, but personality) that it felt rushed being only a single episode. The resolution would have been easier to swallow had there been more time, perhaps a few false starts towards Discord showing some emotions towards Fluttershy, instead of an Anakin-like turn towards the light side.

That said, it's still a childrens' show. The lesson is that people can be reformed (mostly...) and that's a lesson worth teaching children.

And of course it could just be a piece on the chess board leading up to the big finale we're hearing about... it will make the episode go down easier in future rewatches if it's part of a bigger story arc.

4. Peach Wookiee

I'd have loved a two-parter, myself.

5. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

It seemed to be more like let someone walk all over you and they'll become your friend. Not a good lesson IMHO

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it. No, not the strongest. But I found it very much as though you were writing for Q in Next Gen - he's freaking OMNIPOTENT and has NO real need to listen to ANYONE. So how do ou write something that has him in it, without him being a villain, and of having it focus on the main characters?

As a Fluttershy episode it works well enough IMO, and as an episode that's what it really is supposed to be.

Mark

7. milo bloom

I didn't get that impression, more like people have their own path, and if they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, then they have to consider how their actions affect others.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The ony thing that truely unsettles me is that Celestia pretty much created the situation of, essentially, someone raped being made to babysit her abuser. The one vocal opponent of this, has a hot liquid flung in her crotch.

And we're meant to think it's funny. Am I the only one not laughing at all here?

9. milo bloom

The Mane 6 are in the unenviable position of being Celestia's go-to group for troubleshooting. That will unfortunately sometimes entail them re-engaging previous enemies.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, for christ's sake. I am so sick of people comparing the fictional act of mind control with the very real and traumatic experience of physical rape. Fluttershy is not a rape victim and I can't believe I even had to type that sentence.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Complete mental violation is ok then, fair enough.

12. Peach Wookiee

So what if Luna suddenly was corrupted again, Chem? Would the Mane 6 not be able to face her? And what about Captain Picard taking on the Borg repeatedly? He was certainly "mentally violated."

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Luna was corrupted by dark magic she chose to use herself, the elements removed only the dark powers as she even says herself. Her mental state remained, as we see it means she has a long and difficult re-adjustment because of it, rather than just using the elements to force her to be 'happy' in some way, against her will.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understand where you're coming from, Chemy. While I wouldn't use the term "rape", I do agree that Fluttershy's mind was violated by Discord (it shocked me a bit when it happened, too). Everyone will have a strong opinion about this episode, I believe, since it involves what may arguably be the best villain of the series so far.

I'm still certain we haven't seen the last of Discord's chaos, and if it did end up being used in a way similar to "Q" (the unknowable entity who is chaotic), then I think that would be satisfying for myself. As I said, I enjoyed the episode, but each person is different. I am still no fan of "Lesson Zero", even though it's very popular in the Brony fandom. I just don't like seeing my ponies go crazy, especially the one I consider best pony, and though I have watched "The Return of Harmony", and I like Discord as a villain (and love John DeLancie), I don't watch it much because I don't like seeing what happens to the ponies in that story. That's why it doesn't bother me when people love an episode I don't like, and dislike an episode I love. So, I do get what you're saying here.

Though if I did have a particular nitpick, it would be the "gravy" scene. Gravy is a meat based substance. Our ponies are vegetarians. Though there is vegetarian gravy, so I guess it could have been that. Still, the gravy in the crotch scene seemed out of place.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big fan if Lesson Zero either, they were written far too out of character.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

See, I find Lesson Zero to be one of the most entertaining episodes of the series. Twilight was always so high strung, and then she finally snaps to hilarious effect. I completely understand why someone could find it out of character, but it had me in stitches.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I loved Lesson Zero too. Maybe it was a little out of character, but that's a minor nitpick. Twilight having a mental breakdown is always funny.