Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Ha! I honestly was at a loss trying to decide whether to post this here, the Avengers movie thread, or the digital comics thread.

Anyway, I downloaded the first free chapter of "Fury's Big Week", an Avengers movie prequel comic. It actually begins during the climactic scene of Captain America: The First Avenger (although I'm not sure if the 1943 date is correct), we see Cap fighting the Hydra agents on the Valkyrie, and then follows the progress of one of the Hydra agents... all of the way to the ground.

In the present day, we find a team of SHIELD agents, including Fury and Coulson, recovering the body and the Red Skull's bomb/plane. It would seem that Fury is actively searching for Steve Rogers, and actually expects him to be recoverable. The task is interrupted ht a communication from the World Security Council, who order Fury to pack it all up and return to headquarters.

Once home, the WSC informs Fury of a change in priorities-- He is to stop wasting time and resources on "wasteful" projects like finding Rogers (who the WSC believes would be irrelevant in the modern day), coddling Stark (when all he should be doing is securing Stark's tech), and surveillance of Banner (who is too big of a question mark). Instead he is to focus his time and efforts on re-energizing the tesseract.

Fury doesn't take too well to the directive, and tells Coulson to just keep doing what he has been doing all along, just do it secretly, and hope that it doesn't blow up in their faces.

This is to be the first of eight parts, with the rest of the chapters be cost 99 cents each. The first chapter was 10 pages, and I would assume the rest to be the same. In the end, that works out to be less than $7 for an 80-page comic.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daredevil is recently new (its on issue #8) and is really, really good. Waid took Matt Murdock and started fresh. What happened, happened, but it's in Matt's past, so you don't need to be an expert on what happened to him (I, for instance, had never read Daredevil before now).

Wolverine and the X-Men interests me. I think I'll pick up the first trade when it comes out to see if I like it. I was a big fan of Morrison's run on New X-Men, and I keep hearing this run compared favorably to his run.

As I said earlier, I loved DnA's Marvel Cosmic (I call it "DnA," but I should really acknowledge Keith Giffen for getting the ball rolling in Annihilation and really setting the stage for the Guardians of the Galaxy in Annihilation Conquest: Starlord). I think I'll also check out Hickman's Fantastic Four run in trades.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

X-Men: Schism and ReGenesis have taken a little from past X-Men runs...especially Morrison's. I'd highly recommend Wolverine and the X-Men as well, along with Uncanny X-Force which I've started to get into.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can I read Wolverine and the X-Men without reading X-Men: Schism?

5. Turtletrekker

Wolverine and the X-Men is just too goofy for me. The students that seem to be the focus (Quire, Idie, Broo and some Shi'ar kid) just aren't characters that interest me. I've never liked Quire, and Idie's whole "I'm such an evil monster" schtick is getting really old. Doesn't this school have any councilors? They just let this kid go around telling everybody (including state inspectors) that she is such an evil monster and nobody tries to to say, "No Idie, you are not a monster. You are a special person with a special gift"? Really? Keiron Gillen made it sad and almost chilling in Generation Hope ("I won't burn in this world, I'll burn in the next"), but it's rapidly becoming a cliche in WatXM. Add the Hellfire Tots, and other reasons which I've already mentioned in this thread and I am trying not to be repetitive, it's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. Admiral_Young

I love the students and Quire has grown on me! @Shiv...ya you can read Wolvie without reading Schism but I'd still recommend it.

The First Season One Hardcover from Marvel gets released tomorrow....Fantastic Four. Also finished Winter Solider #1 finally and really enjoyed it. The one thing I love the most about Bucky...is his relationship with 'Tasha. You can tell these two are in love and care about one another. It has been a relationship that I've actually really enjoyed since it was first introduced a few years ago. The art is quite good as well. Sets the tone for the book.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know if there's a specific reason the current DD series isn't available on Comixology? It's one of the only ongoing series from either of the Big Two that I haven't seen on there. I plan on checking out some of the earlier stuff they have on there first, but I was still curious.

8. Turtletrekker

Pretty light week for me.

Journey into Mystery 634-- Another great issue from one of Marvels best books. The adventures of kid Loki are just fun, funny and fantastical, even when teaming up with Damon Hellstrom (although Hellstrom considers Loki his "sidekick") against Nightmare.

Captain America 8-- The Powerless arc continues and it feels like I've read this before-- oh, wait, I have, in the Steve Rogers: Super Soldier mini (among others).

The new Captain America series has been enjoyable, but hasn't been setting my world on fire. I'm in no danger of dropping it--I'd keep buying it for the Alan Davis art alone-- but it makes one realize just how much Brubaker's previous Captain America series was about Bucky even from the very first issue, even before the reveal that he was still alive. This is the really first time Brubaker's Captain America has been primarily about Steve Rogers, and it's coming up just a little short in comparison. On the other hand, Brubaker's Winter Soldier #1 DID set my world on fire--I've read it at least five times and can't wait for the next issue.

Seven page preview of Avengers vs X-Men #1!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. Admiral_Young

I am really excited for AVX. A lot of issues and plots over the preceding years are going to be brought up and hopefully resolved.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm really not enjoying the new Cap Am, aside from the initial Steve McNiven art. The Serpent Squad is just extremely silly and 1980s to me. I haven't really enjoyed Cap since the "Reborn" mini. That was a nice climax to the Brubaker Saga, and everything since then has been very disappointing.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you guys see the Secret Avengers Return of Captain Mar-Vell cover? looks like it will be the future Hulkling version of Mar-Vell.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Venom #13.1 - Every week this month the Circle of Four story goes on. Each cover seems to feature a lead character on the cover. This issue had Ghost Rider(Alejandra). This issue starts with guest appearances by Dr.Strange and Damian Hellstrom. Dr. Strange mentions the talisman that is "holding hell back" as last seen when he gave it to Hawkeye to subdue the new Ghost Rider. This took place in GR #7-8, this story is very clearly a Ghost Rider story. I don't see yet why this shouldn't be taking place in a GR title. The other characters serve their purpose for what Blackheart needed I suppose but it's a story about raising Hell and GR is the character clearly tied to that type story.

Now the good news for a GR fan is that at the end of the issue it had a listing for Ghost Rider #9!! I'm excited about that. Marvel allegedly had cancelled the book, anyone heard about a reprieve? I'll take as many more issues as they give me.

13. Admiral_Young

@Captain Craig...this is an interview/article with Rick Remender that you might find interesting and should address any concerns/questions you might have regarding the current Circle of Four arc and "Venom" in general. This was from early December.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35762

As for Ghost Rider...I believe the original cancellation notice came just prior to the law suit being settled. I don't know if this changed things or not since Marvel won it. It's possible they rescinded the cancellation after it was settled. I really don't know. I haven't seen anything about it being continued. Also with the film coming out...it makes sense for them to push out a couple more issues.

14. Captain Craig

^^^
    Nice read about the Venom series. Still not likely to pick it up but the part about Eddie as a background supporting cast member is interesting. Is he no longer Anti-Venom? I've lost track. Hasn't the idea of a Symbiote Infestation been done before? Granted he says invasion in that interview but is feels like semantics to me.

I did some googling since I posted and it seems Ghost Rider #9 is the final issue. But hey, it's Giant Sized!!! And it comes out on my birthday.

15. Admiral_Young

Eddie is still Anti-Venom and Marvel has just teased (I wanna say a few days ago, but I can't remember now) an upcoming arc with Venom.

16. Turtletrekker

I didn't even think of the Hulkling version, but I can see it. I guess it all depends on how Childern's Crusade ends. My first reaction was, "What again? Is the copyright up already?":lol:

17. Admiral_Young

Venom #13.1: Yeah I agree with Captain Craig this is clearly a Ghost Rider story, my guess is that due to the cancellation of GR they shifted this story to Venom and included a bunch of guest stars. It's strange since this is considered a Venom event, yet features Ghost Rider villains and GR and Blaze. What it does do, is make me want a Rick Remender written Ghost Rider mini-series or going. Another thing is that these point one issues are supposed to be mini-previews/teasers for the upcoming years story lines. This is just a continuation of an arc. The art is fantastic in this book as usual.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow, they cancelled Ghost Rider just as the new movie is coming out?! They weren't hoping for a bump?

19. Admiral_Young

They cancelled the book back in November I believe, along with X-23's ongoing series. The lawsuit was going on at the time still, don't know if that had anything to do with the decision but yeah it just turns out the final issue is out around the same time the film comes out lol.

20. Captain Craig

I know that legitimately the sales were mediocre at best after the first 6 issues. The cancel news came just as or just before issue #7 hit the stands. I think they really missed an opportunity to promote the book to new fans as well as try to convince other Marvel readers the current direction was going to be intriguing. If nothing else get the GR fans who took the last series into the 30's back. The Circle of Four story crossing over with Venom, Red Hulk and X-23 AND being a story featuring Blackheart one of if not his dominant foe. Then cross promote with the movie opening next weekend.
    It's a shame cause while I admit the first few issues were rocky in establishing who the new GR was, her background etc. that by issue 4/5 it was moving pretty good and issues 7-8 were part of showing how she(Alejandra) and Blaze were going to work together as well as set up a key element seen in Circle of Four, the talisman holding hell back.

The lawsuit is a non-issue as it's been on going for some time. Was in place while the last GR title went well into the 30's.