Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Got up the nerve to try out our condo's gym today. It's nothing big or fancy, but they have several cardio machines and weight machines. I managed to do about 45 mins on the elliptical which is pretty good considering how sedentary I've been.

It felt pretty awesome to be working out again, and I love being in the city and even just walking around more.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Now that my mentally-taxing move is over and my new kitchen is clean and actually usable, I can finally get back into a routine. The kitchen in my new place was fucking nasty. I feel like I should get part of the previous resident's security deposit for all the work I had to do (I had to use 3 cans of oven cleaner to get all the grease and dirt off the floor!).

Worked out tonight for the first time in 10 days, and tomorrow (in theory) I am going to wake up and go for a walk/jog/run/something. Now that the weather is getting better, I want to start every day with 15-20 minutes of cardio outside before I do anything else.

2010: The Year I Got Abs

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

As of this morning I weigh 239 lbs (I weighed 255 lbs when I started this last month), which means my meal plan and exercise routine is working. :D
    On a side note, my brother currently weighs something above 300 lbs. He's 2 inches taller than me, and 7 years younger. The reason I don't know how much over 300 lbs is because that's as high as my scale goes, and then it resets back to 0. :(

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Joined a new, way better gym yesterday, and I worked out for the first time there today. There is so much frickin equipment, and the plates are made of metal! So excited to get back into my routine after my move.

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

It's been about a week and I've been eating fewer calories and have increased my activity level quite a bit. I didn't expect any sudden changes, but I weighed myself at the gym here and I weighed ten pounds more than I've ever weighed in my life! It was one of those doctor type scales, not digital. I don't know if that's what I really weigh, or what, but it was a little depressing.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, it could mean anything. Water weight, food in your stomach, extra muscle (which is heavier than fat), etc.

Was the scale balanced properly when you stepped on it?

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah is this working out well?

I haven't done squats in years, and missed legs for over a month but in two weeks I'm already repping 450. I love the overall effect of squats.

RAMA

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, my old job welcomed me back with open arms, and I've already made more money than I made in 3 months of personal training (I've been back 2 weeks). I've still got some prospects in the training field, though, so hopefully something will happen with that soon.

I'm attempting to get back into a routine, and I'm acting completely out of character and trying to workout in the morning/early afternoon now, since I'm working at night. Getting my diet back in order is the hardest part because my new kitchen isn't fully set up, so I haven't been eating as much as I need.

Overall, though, I am confident. My new gym is awesome.

9. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I need more weight. Badly. But after three weeks, got an inch and a half back n my arms and the squats have resulted in an extra two on my thighs... which I need the most work on.

All this because I bought trunks...

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hear ya. I lost about 10 lbs over the last couple weeks because I couldn't use my kitchen.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I did heavy squats and deadlifts yesterday for the first time since moving (so about 3 weeks), and I can barely walk today. Ouch!

12. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

A friend of mine called me up a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to go for a run. Without planning to, it became a daily thing, then he canceled his membership at his old gym and joined the Y I go to here in town. Now we're 3 weeks into a great routine, doing cardio and lifting and the whole shebang. I'm feeling way better in general than I used to, back in the days of going to the gym maybe once a week. My next step would be to cut down on the constant salami sandwich intake...gotta take these things one step at a time! :D

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't know why, but my legs have been having a hard time the last few workouts I've tried. They just get exhausted really quickly. Maybe I need to give them more of a rest.

14. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I worked out for two hours today singing along to Journey the whole time so I figure that burns DOUBLE the calories, what do ya'll think? :D

15. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I have rarely come into this forum...but opened it for the P90X thread and thought I'd read this one as well.

Looks like you guys use this thread to post about your workouts, progress made, and general accountability. I might check in here some, because I need the accountability.

My program is fairly straightforward. I was pretty out of shape, but started working out again back in early November and have been doing really well.

I'm running about 18-20 miles a week (running has always been my favorite form of exercise - I love running) and have signed up for the Peachtree Roadrace on July 4 (the Peachtree is one of the largest 10Ks in the US, for the non-runners reading this). I currently run 3 to 4.5 miles at a time...but am adding distance each week to get to Peachtree shape. My 2010 goal is to try and get to half-marathon distance, and I'd like to run a marathon in 2011 - specifically, the Marine Corps Marathon in October of 2011.

I also do some spinning (I have a spinning bike and treadmill at home), do the elliptical at the gym, and also do some weight machines there occasionally...but for strength I mainly do some of the Beachbody programs - specifically Power 90 and Slim in 6....and do some dumbbell upper body work at home. I also do some Jillian Michaels workouts on occasion - particularly the 30-Day Shred.

I work out 5 days a week minimum...but try to do 6 days most weeks. That's really about it.

This thread is really long so I won't be reading the whole thing...but from the last few pages it sounds like you guys do alot of weights. I'm not sure I will ever be a gym rat weights person...but I recognize the value of strength work and try to especially do upper body stuff since the running, spinning and elliptical have my lower body improving without much extra effort outside of the Beachbody DVDs I do.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Had another short gap in my leg workouts. I picked up again to sets of 455 lbs for squats. Today or tomorrow I will attempt to get back to 500 for a set. Not sure if I'll go much further than that at my age...its far off my best, but I'm quite happy to get to 500 again.

RAMA

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have decided to dedicate an entire day to just my triceps. I'm not sure why, but I'm doing it.

18. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Just took my bike out to 7-11 (5.2 km there and back) to get a newspaper. First time I've rode it since last fall, and I can't believe how sore my thighs were half way there. :eek:

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not sure why, but over the last couple weeks I feel like my hamstrings have completely vanished. I can't even bend at the knees without concentrating really hard. It's weird.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Took a few weeks off, I've been busy, but in the next week or two I will start a very serious new phase of my workouts..

RAMA