Was the TNG crew unlikable in the first two seasons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Overlord, Feb 23, 2014.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was the TNG crew unlikable in the first two seasons? This review by sfdebris of Peak Performance, he mentioned that if this episode was in season 3, than it would have better, because he argued the characters were more humanized in the third season. It did seem like the crew was more arrogant in the first couple of seasons and Picard almost always seemed to be a bad mood. I do think the characters found their footing in the third season. There were some episodes in the first two seasons where the characters were likable, but there were lot of episodes from those seasons where they were not.

http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t147.php

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it was much about being unlikeable. Much more a case of actors and writers trying to figure the characters out as they went along.

One thing about all the characters in the first two seasons was a noticeable emphasis on these being "future" people. Many times they'd express disdain and bewilderment for things of "our" time, to illustrate how advanced and evolved they were. Maybe this made them seem unlikable.

From season three on, the characters took on a much more contemporary feel and perhaps they began to seem more familiar to us, and more likable?

3. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't very favorably impressed with the TNG crew when it first launched. My initial impressions, after the first few episodes, as best I can recall:

Picard. He was supposed to be a great captain, but I didn't see much evidence for that on the screen. Whenever faced with adversity, he tended to fall into a sad, brooding funk, as if overcome by his disappointment that the universe had once again failed to live up to his ideals. Then he'd try to surrender his ship.

Riker. Alternated between being a stiff, wannabe hard-ass to the crew and a smarmy sycophant to Picard. In fact, the only real evidence I got that Picard was supposed to be a great captain was that Riker kept telling him he was.

LaForge. Seems they tried to start him off as another incarnation of Roddenberry's stock "Jose Tyler"-type character, the excitable, enthusiastic youngster. "Oh, I see where you're goin', Commander! Yeah! Woo-WHEE!!" Thankfully, he calmed down in later seasons.

Yar. Just bad casting, really. Denise Crosby does not project "tough." At all.

Worf. Basically portrayed as a joke. For God's sake, he sees an enemy alien on the bridge viewscreen, so he leaps over the horseshoe and pulls his phaser on him. :rolleyes:

Troi. "Just oozing angst (was she an early emo?). Plus, Roddenberry's steadfast fondness for a swooning, lovesick hottie pining for the hero was already old by this time.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it Season One? I forget, at this particular moment in time, but in that Q episode where Q gives Riker the power of Q, I really couldn't stand Riker. He was made to act like such a smacked ass it remains the one and only TNG episode I do not watch, on purpose. Outside of this, in the episode THE HAVEN, which I happen to like, actually, there was so little tension between Riker and Troi's boyfriend that it seemed kind of unnatural. Other episodes, particularly in Season Two, Riker seemed very likable, to me. Like in MEASURE of a MAN. Riker's put in a rotten position and Frakes really makes you sympathize with him, the whole time, despite the hell he's putting Data through. I happen to like the first two seasons of TNG, very much. They are so unusual to anything else I've ever seen in any of the STAR TREK spin-offs. It's very refreshing, actually, because once the series settles in, there's a sort of predictability that the first couple seasons were, fortunately, quite free of.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So basically, Riker didn't change in seven years? :p ;)

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does no one here love TNG ... as much as I?

7. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

He got slightly better. But, yeah, he pretty much made a career out of kissing Picard's ass. :D

8. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To paraphrase a philosophy teacher I've had in college, Cyrano should have realized that Roxanne farts as anyone else.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the crew was more likeable in the first two seasons vs. what came later.

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their unlikability peaked in Pen Pals. That stupid argument about not saving an alien race from extinction was lame and a low for Star Trek as a whole. Only for the fact that the little girl called out Data's name for help did that entire civilization survive. What self-righteous a-holes.

It didn't get that bad again until season 7's Homeward with a very similar dilemma with the crew once again taking the "meh, sucks for them" approach. It look Worf's brother being insubordinate to save people from meaningless death.

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Believe it or not, Pulaski managed a great deal in helping me like everybody else better than I had

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought season two was when the TNG crew were at their most relatable. Pulaski seemed like a real person, Riker made eggs and it was a fucking disaster, and they went a full ten minutes without condemning someone for not living up to their "evolved" human standards.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

From where I sat, it wasn't so much that the characters were unlikable. They were BORING.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was a problem that pretty much plagued the series its entire run.

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I actually prefer early grumpy won't-take-any-shit "Shut up, Wesley!" Picard to the later genial-smiles-for-everyone "Counselor, so nice to see you" Picard.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm with you 2takesfrakes though I was a kid watching TNG. Every part of it blew my mind.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, it *is* possible to like a show and critique or criticize parts of it, and in many cases, it increases one's appreciation of the rest of the show or its development. After all, this thread is on a board where watching every episode is almost a prerequisite to commenting. Even the cast and crew have been critical of certain things here and there, and we love them anyway. Nothing is perfect -- if anything, imperfection shows complexity.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Blasphemy! [​IMG]

:)

19. tombo74

tombo74 Ensign Newbie

I think it just took them the first two seasons to really get some of the characters clearly defined. In addition, the overall feel of some episodes (especially in season 1) was more like TOS (which is not bad). It just took them some time till they got it right.