Embarassing moments during good episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOSalltheway, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It strikes me (sorry) that if a guy was hit hard enough to flip him end over end he probably had his jaw smashed if not his whole face. He might even have been killed. A split inseam would be the least of his worries.

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Space Seed: while on Botany Bay, Shatner drops his phaser right after he breaks the sleep-chamber window. Keep your eye on Kelly: he notices it, looks a couple times, seems to think about picking it up, and looks totally at a loss as what he should do.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Typical case of inaccurate research. Everyone knows that Sulu's main interest was botany, this would definitely rather be a gift for ship's geologists Carstairs, Fisher or Jäger.

What are you trying to imply here, that Sulu's was tiny? Who gave you that...wait...ohh...:rofl:

Bob

4. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Any truth to the rumor that, in the episode as originally conceived, Ruk would have only had that high-pitched, feminine voice after this pending encounter? :D

5. thevebleneffect

thevebleneffect Ensign Newbie

I am pleased that a lot of your posts identify as embarrassing the way that Uhura or the other female officers were written. I really want to identify with Uhura, because she strikes me as being a 22nd century equivalent of a ham radio buff, but so many weird things were written in. I like my female characters to act (just as one example) more like Jodi Foster's Clarise Starling, or like scientists, or something like that. But I can't even identify with almost any female characters in today's media, either, so how much has changed? Along these same lines, I guess my embarrassing moment arose from a mistake that I made. While watching that "Metamorphosis" episode with Zefram Cochrane, I instinctively interpreted the alien as being completely and utterly gender neutral, devoid of any human notion of sex. I just saw it as something sentient that had tender feelings. Even when McCoy said it looked like love, I was completely oblivious to any sort of gendered suggestion for the alien. I was so stupid to think even for a second that the writers would have included an entity that arcane. Either they couldn't or they wouldn't, if you know what I mean.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I will have to check that out!!

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Well, actually I don't quite know what you mean.

I'm quite sure the notion of an alien entity that was both noncorporeal and without gender would have gone over the heads of 95 percent of the TV audience in 1967.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I don't know if you are aware of Uhura's portrayal in the Animated Series (TAS) but in case you are not, I'm confident, you'd like it.

Well, it was the 1960's and the general notion had been that women cared and cooked for their husbands. ;)

Bob

9. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've discussed this before, but Kirk had just used the expression "hot pursuit" a minute earlier, in his log entry, so Spock may have been riffing off him. (Do Vulcans riff?) :confused:

Embarrassing moments?

-Any time they use the "soft focus" for a close-up of a woman (except perhaps when illustrating the effect of the Venus Drug).

-Any time Kirk says "sabotadge."

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Indeed. Bob is right. Check out TAS if you haven't already.

11. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

"Captain....I'm scared"

almost stops THE best Trek of all in its tracks...

12. BoredShipCapt'n

"Frightened," actually.

Maybe she meant it as a come-on and it totally went over Kirk's head. ;)

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

If that's an embarrassing moment, you must be embarrassed by a whole bunch of TV shows from the 1950s and '60s. Using soft focus or diffusion filters for close-ups of actresses wasn't unique to Star Trek.

14. BoredShipCapt'n

Oh, I know. It's the longevity of the series that has made the effect embarrassing with age; it seems at odds with the modern sci-fi ethic, whatever that is. It doesn't bother me, but other people watching tend to laugh at the effect.

15. thevebleneffect

thevebleneffect Ensign Newbie

Thank you for the tip, jpv2000 and Robert Comsol! I love it when writers/filmmakers aren't afraid to improve things when they revisit them.
    Cheers! :D

16. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WNMHGB: Absolute first-rate episode, but there are two ridiculous moments when they're crossing the galactic barrier: First, all the department heads are just standing around the bridge and Shatner is looking around like "what do I do now?" But even that moment is still great drama compared to Gary Mitchell reaching out while navigating the ship through the barrier and holding the Yeoman babe's hand.

Otherwise, I love the episode.

M.

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek's Jerry Finnerman also photographed the mid-80s series Moonlighting. He gave Cybill Sheperd the full treatment: soft lighting, diffusion filter, and sometimes a little spotlight behind her head so her hair would glow like a halo. The show even broke the fourth wall and joked about it once in a while, but she looked fantastic.

18. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Two scenes that always bothered me are both in "Journey To Babel"

First, before his final confrontation with Sarek, Gav is sitting against the wall having a drink, and the drink switches hands (count 'em) FOUR times!!! Once in a while you can get away with bad editing, but this is SO OBVIOUS.

Later, when Kirk is fighting the Orion spy, he does this bizarre drop kick-thing. He seem to aim for the wall, nowhere near the fake Andorian. I don't know what the heck he was going for, but it just looks so stupid, I laugh every time.

19. BoredShipCapt'n

Talk about a two-fisted drinker!

Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place. Orions usually detach theirs and leave them against a wall.

20. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

:lol::guffaw::lol:

Good to know. :techman: