DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh

Either Damian's been calling a few 900 numbers or Bruce is investigating why his magazine says "19" on the cover instead of "900."

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also who is John Layman? Seriously. I've never heard of him before.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Layman is the writer of CHEW at Image comics.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I dived back into Batwoman for the Wonder Woman team-up. The title remains solid; as many have said, the Diana here is closer to the one in her own title, not the blank pinup doll in JLA. But the art ... I don't even know what to say about it anymore. Each double-page seems more miraculous than the last.

I was worried about the change of writer on Demon Knights, but to be honest - for whatever reason, though I suspect editorial shenanigans - Cornell's run ended with a whimper after the breakneck weirdness of the first year. Now Venditti is bringing in the vampires, and some very specific plot beats from the lamentably-cancelled I, Vampire. This issue (16) seemed more focused than the last few, and the 30-year jump is really effective. The story seems Amazon-centric, which might promise answers about Exoristos.

Interesting business trying to reconcile several titles which are speaking to Amazon issues, given the polarized reactions to Azarello's version of them.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batman and Batgirl today.

I need to pick up the Justice League books that are dealing with the Throne of Atlantis story-line along with Aquaman, but the LCS didn't have them.

7. Admiral_Young

Batman #16 was excellent again. This continues to be some of the best work done on the Joker in a long time. Greg Capullo's artwork is extremely impressive (I so want DC to do a figure based on his artwork). It was interesting to see the other rouges in the story as well play their role in this, and the back up story regarding some of their mentality regarding Joker. I don't have a very good feeling regarding next month. This is supposed to be a "game changer" as I've mentioned plenty of times in the past and Harper Row is solicited for Batman #18 in March I'm guessing playing a role similar to Tim Drake when he was first introduced. I think we're in for some exciting times still in this book.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Batman #16 was all kinda of amazing. This is the creepiest the Joker has ever been. The body mural was unbelievably disturbing. I loved the integration of all of the other rogues.

Batman and Robin and Batgirl were pretty decent this month. They were certainly better than DotF tie-ins have been so far. I am still undeterred from my decision to drop them, though. This was the last issue for me for both. My pull list has gotten too long, and I need to drop a few book that haven't been rocking my world lately.

So, begin speculation: What's under the lid? Alfred's severed head?

9. Admiral_Young

^ That was my exact thought. I wouldn't be surprised if Alfred was killed off, or perhaps maimed somehow. Maybe Alfred's eyes? That would be enough to send Bruce spiralling back down the isolationist path again. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what part Harper will play in this.

10. OdoWanKenobi

As much as I don't want them to kill of Alfred, this story cannot end without serious consequences. Bruce has to pay a price for his arrogance, and unwillingness to see the truth. Killing Alfred seems the most likely possibility, since obviously everyone else has their own monthly titles. In this scenario, Harper most likely becomes the "new Alfred" so to speak.

11. Admiral_Young

It would also put another question as to when Batman Incorporated takes place, as obviously we've seen Alfred alive. We saw Morrison gave Damian his cat Alfred too, but perhaps I'm going a bit overboard with the speculation. I agree that there needs to be consequences. I'm damned curious about next month though. I can hardly wait.

12. OdoWanKenobi

Batman Incorporated takes place in Morrisonland. That is a place far removed from the rest of the universe.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah. Except that it's referenced New 52 arcs, but I digress. I wish the rest of the bat books were as good as "Batman", but then I suppose that'd be hoping for too much.

14. Derishton

Batman Inc was a minor plot point in Batwoman last month.

I have no interest in the current Joker Funtime Variety Afterschool Special until it comes out in trade, but Harper Row doing anything significant will probably be a dealbreaker. The character combines lazy introduction with forced relevance: Hey, kids, this character is like Alfred, Oracle, Stephanie Brown, and this interesting character we used to have called "Tim Drake." Wowsers, it's a four-fer-one!

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well Joker already said he's pouring acid in Alfred's eyes so maybe those are his eyes in the plate and he'll be blind after this.

As cool as Morrison-Joker and Snyder-Joker are, after him being so dark for the past seven years or so, I'd like to see him switch personalities again and be a little silly for awhile... more Animated Series-Joker...

16. Derishton

Morrison-Joker was dark but acted as an ally against the Black Glove, which is really the seed by which Snyder developed his "I only have eyes for you" Joker. That aspect of DotF does sound interesting to me. That being said, I could use some silly Joker - I just don't see how you get there after this arc. Silly Joker would be just as terrifying to everyone around him, even if he himself had taken a turn for the whimsical - nobody in his world could "read" him that way after the last two decades.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God, I'm lame. I know better than this but I'm actually concerned for Barbra Gordon, during their "ceremony" Joker threatened to cut off her limbs in order to keep her complacent in their "marriage." Then at the end of the book, after having been knocked out by her brother, we see her coming to, saying she's in a lot of pain with Joker standing there with the serving tray.

:( Poor Barbara!

The Death of the Family storyline has been interesting but it's also hard to really realize how these books fit into one another and the Joker's been... a bit much. And can he just get his damn face back, please?!

18. Admiral_Young

Why would he get his face back when he went to the trouble of slicing it off in the first place? His face now is Joker's mask, like Batman's cowl is for Bruce. It's part of his game and the new persona he's been portraying. It will be interesting to see where DC takes Joker after this arc.

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Another vote for the return of the face. Him not having it does nothing for the character.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's pretty much the only thing from the New 52 Batman stuff I don't like. It also doesn't help that its from the part where the start of Detective went meh with that doll maker stuff.